Wiring Definitive 2002tl's [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Definitive 2002tl's

baltik
12-31-2003, 07:02 PM
I am a proud new owner of these incredible speakers and had a question about wiring, these speakers are used for 70% ht and 30% music. The are currently biwired to my onkyo receiver and I was curious if it would be worthwile to pslit the LFE signal into them as well? any pros/cons of this setup?

mtrycraft
12-31-2003, 09:16 PM
I am a proud new owner of these incredible speakers and had a question about wiring, these speakers are used for 70% ht and 30% music. The are currently biwired to my onkyo receiver and I was curious if it would be worthwile to pslit the LFE signal into them as well? any pros/cons of this setup?

How good is your sub, if you have one?
If you intend to send the LFE signals to it, just reprogram the processor to no LFE spealer and the mains to large and you are there to experiment.
Usually good subs, in a corner, is hard to beat.

baltik
01-01-2004, 03:18 AM
The 2002tl's have 12" 250 watt subs built into each speaker. Right now my receiver is programmed to send no LFE. Just curious if I can get better bass response by letting the receiver send the LFE signal and wiring accordingly

Geoffcin
01-01-2004, 04:24 AM

And a happy new year to you!

I use a speaker in my HT setup, the Cambridge Soundworks T500, that also has an amp built in. These speakers were designed specifically with HT in mind. You not only should send the LFE to the mains, you MUST to get the best out of them for HT. Forget about using a sub. I have two huge subs at my disposal, and I have no need to use them in my HT setup because of the room shaking bass response of the T500s. I'm sure your speakers, with their 250 built in amp are similar.

I'm not sure how your speakers are set up. Do they have an RCA jack input into the speaker for the LFE signal? Mine do. The LFE signal comes in using the sub pre-out as if it were a subwoofer. If you have RCA in jacks for the LFE those are what you want to use. Otherwise if you send the LFE to the mains mixed with the front signal the receiver will not know that the speakers are powered, and try to amplify the LFE signal, most likely distorting it.

I've never heard your speakers, but from the specs I've seen you better be prepared the first time you play a movie like "Saving Private Ryan" or you are going to loose some breakables!

mtrycraft
01-01-2004, 09:26 PM
The 2002tl's have 12" 250 watt subs built into each speaker. Right now my receiver is programmed to send no LFE. Just curious if I can get better bass response by letting the receiver send the LFE signal and wiring accordingly

It would still depend on whether or not you have a dedicated sub and how good it is. Usually subs work best in a corner.

baltik
01-01-2004, 09:41 PM
I don't have a separate sub, so the powered subs inside the speakers are it. I would need to split the LFE signal between them to get the discrete .1

Geoffcin
01-02-2004, 03:41 AM
I don't have a separate sub, so the powered subs inside the speakers are it. I would need to split the LFE signal between them to get the discrete .1

That's exactly what I would do. My speakers are actually designed to be wired together. Yours may require a splitter.

I have found that two discrete woofers that are uncoupled with the room boundries have a much more coherent sound than a single sub in a corner.