Impressions on the Eagles NBC concert? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Impressions on the Eagles NBC concert?

Mr Peabody
06-01-2005, 07:07 PM
The Eagles are as overplayed on the radio as Boston but I watched part of it to see if I was missing anything. The show is supposed to be released on DVD. I could only listen through my TV because of a technical glitch that should be fixed soon but the concert sounded very good to me. I think the DVD may sound impressive. The fellas performance was also good. I think Eagles fans were certainly well served. I also have NBC in HD so that was nice and I'm sure helped the sound even though it was only stereo through my TV.

I have to hand it to the group for drawing fans and interest after all these years without putting out any new material. I also have to commend NBC for putting on the show. I think it was great and would love to see more like it. Of course, this is coming from a music fan who has never watched Survivor or American Idol.

DarrenH
06-01-2005, 07:19 PM
The endless commercial adversing would keep me away from such a broadcast.

I like the Eagles, in moderation, but speaking that name around here is not unlike mentioning the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Nobody seems to care.

Stone
06-02-2005, 04:26 AM

I like the Eagles, in moderation, but speaking that name around here is not unlike mentioning the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Nobody seems to care.

I was glad that I saw a commercial or two for this concert before it was on, so I knew what it was and I could skip right through it instead of having to listen to that dreck and waste 15 seconds of my life before I figured out it was the Eagles.

Regarding the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, it sounds like you've been there since I have, but I was there about 5 years ago and it was hugely disappointing to me, even though I was there for a private party and pretty much had the whole place to myself (and a few others at the party). I've spent a lot of time in the Cleveland area since then and never once seriously considered going back. Please let us know if it's any better than the last time you were there.

Resident Loser
06-02-2005, 04:52 AM
...what exactly do WE listen to?...

jimHJJ(...I can hardly wait...)

MindGoneHaywire
06-02-2005, 05:09 AM
Not the Eagles, that's for sure. But if you want to play that game...how about Gram Parsons, for starters. I did spin Sweetheart Of The Rodeo last week. My computer seems to have a problem with the Flying Burrito Brothers anthology, so I couldn't listen to that one when I wanted to. Sorry...I find it difficult to take the Eagles seriously as anything but possibly the worst rock act of all time, or at least in the top 3. As Tom Waits said...an Eagles album is good for keeping dust off yr turntable.

Jim Clark
06-02-2005, 05:21 AM
Yup, skipped it as well. Not that I was making any kind of elitist point. Instead I watched the sad sack Royals whip up on the hapless Yankees. Do I feel a series sweep coming on? I wouldn't bet the mortgage payment on it. The Royals are the worst team in baseball and came really close to proving it yet again in the top of the ninth.

I love watching Randy Johnson, but come on, that ol' geez over Beltran? Who's in charge of baseball in NY?

jc

ForeverAutumn
06-02-2005, 05:22 AM

It's not that I didn't care that you're going to the rock and roll HOF, it's just that I wasn't going to be anywhere near Cleveland when you're there. That was the question, wasn't it?

For what it's worth. Hubby and I are off work during the third week of June and we're looking for something to do. After seeing your post, I'm thinking that the R&RHOF might be a nice little trip for us, with a stop at Niagara Falls on the way home.

So there! :p

Oh yeah, I missed the Eagles thingy too. Not because I don't like them (they're fun to play on my guitar), but because I had other things to do.

Resident Loser
06-02-2005, 05:25 AM
...seemed to enjoy it...as did my wife and I...and just thru my tee-vee no less!

The band is obviously lovin' it...they do a good job...the songwriting is really "timeless", it's difficult to write a pop number that has staying power or doesn't seem hokey after it's time has passed...and Joe Walsh is a p!$$er...I've been a fan of his music and playing style since the James Gang...I'm also a harmony freak, whether it's Gregorian chant, the Modernaires, over-dubbed Mary Ford or Peggy Lee, CSN or these guys...tight harmony does it for me!

Since I don't(OK rarely)listen to what masquerades as rock radio these days, I'm not overexposed to their music...not certain they get much airplay in the NYC market anyway(now Springsteen is another case entirely, can't swing a dead cat, etc.). And it's not like I go outta' my way to drop one of their albums on the TT, but...nostalgia? Maybe part of it...in fact last time I deliberately played their music, it was "Common Thread"...their material as done by other performers...and before that the HFO dvd...

jimHJJ(...well, take it easy...)

Resident Loser
06-02-2005, 05:37 AM
...they are in business and that business is to sell product...If it actually sounds good and you can hum the melody it's somehow bad?...The Burritos, Pure Prairie League, Commander Cody...where are they now? The Eagles were on the tube last night...that speaks volumes...and once again, it's POP music...Somewhere, someone is playing Gershwin...

jimHJJ(...Tom Waits also said "...the piano has been drinking"...)

ForeverAutumn
06-02-2005, 05:40 AM
...seemed to enjoy it...as did my wife and I...and just thru my tee-vee no less!

The band is obviously lovin' it...they do a good job

I agree. I didn't see the show on TV last night, but I did see the "Hell Freezes Over" tour live many, many, many moons ago. And one of the things that I remember best about that show was how much fun the band seemed to be having. I mean, how many times can you sing Take It Easy before you wanna start sniping the audience. But they did it and they made it look like fun!

shokhead
06-02-2005, 05:51 AM

The band is obviously lovin' it...they do a good job...the songwriting is really "timeless", it's difficult to write a pop number that has staying power or doesn't seem hokey after it's time has passed...and Joe Walsh is a p!$$er...I've been a fan of his music and playing style since the James Gang...I'm also a harmony freak, whether it's Gregorian chant, the Modernaires, over-dubbed Mary Ford or Peggy Lee, CSN or these guys...tight harmony does it for me!

Since I don't(OK rarely)listen to what masquerades as rock radio these days, I'm not overexposed to their music...not certain they get much airplay in the NYC market anyway(now Springsteen is another case entirely, can't swing a dead cat, etc.). And it's not like I go outta' my way to drop one of their albums on the TT, but...nostalgia? Maybe part of it...in fact last time I deliberately played their music, it was "Common Thread"...their material as done by other performers...and before that the HFO dvd...

jimHJJ(...well, take it easy...)

What ever happen to rock bands that can do tight harmony as i die for that also. Did someone say the Eagles were the worst rock band of all time? Wow,they havent seen much. I guess they saw the Knack and liked them. LOL ;)

Stone
06-02-2005, 11:35 AM
It's a teenage sadness
Everyone has got to taste

Resident Loser
06-03-2005, 05:17 AM
...have been around for what...thirty or so years and can still pull it off...

Anyone witness that heavily-advertised-during-the-Eagles Play It Again or Do It Again debacle? Holey-moley, what a bunch of useless garbage...these puffy one-hit-wonders(?) really shoulda' thought long and hard and given that opportunity a pass...somehow the old smoke and mirrors, artsy-fartsy, glam-O-rama cr@pola doesn't withstand the test of time...even Warhol's 15 minute window...

jimHJJ(...now talk about DRECK!!!...)

3-LockBox
06-06-2005, 08:59 AM
I dunno about that...I didn't watch the show either, not because I dislike the Eagles, but because I am a little tired of them. Its like the Beatles...how many times are they gonna repackage this band. HFO was ok, but these guys were always a pedestrian act live. I saw a replay of this on Bravo a few nights later...I liked the new Joe Walsh tune, but c'mon, a TV special or tour without a new album? You mean there's not a new album's worth of material amongst talent of this callibre (Walsh, Henley, Frey, Schmit, & Felder)? But if people want to see thae same farewell concert they saw in '80, more power to them.

On the other hand, I don't understand the level of disgust for this band on this and other music boards though. I've played the hell outta these guys in the past and burned myself out on them, and maybe some day I'll want to hear them again, but for some people to hate the Eagles is a mystery to me. I do wish they'd put out some new music or just hang it up. But then again, I don't think anyone would bellyache too much if Pink Floyd was given a network primetime slot where all they did was play old music.

I guess its just as fashionable to hate certain older pop acts as it is to prop up other dinosaur acts or fawn over obtuse ones like Parsons or Zevon.

MindGoneHaywire
06-06-2005, 12:25 PM
I don't care if it's fashionable or not; I've never liked them & never had one record of theirs. And when I was a kid I had, as I've admitted in the past, records by bands like Styx & Kansas. But I never did like the Eagles. And I liked them less once I heard Gram Parsons & the Burrito Brothers. If I want to hear country-rock, that's what I go for. How is Gram Parsons obtuse? And when it comes to laid-back California pop I guess I could understand Jackson Browne a lot more than the Eagles, perhaps even Boz Scaggs. But I can't see listening to that stuff so long as there's those Randy Newman records. But that's me.

I've long seen it as a bunch of guys taking something that would be considered kind of artistic (country-rock as envisioned by Gram Parsons & others) & making it more accessible, with pop influences. Fine, I have no problem with that. But it's always seemed as though they did this in the most cynical way possible, in a manner that completely dismissed the artistic possibilities involved, solely for the benefit of the commercial possibilities. Now, you could say that's crazy for me to think that, but that's always the way it's seemed to me, so I really wouldn't care. And I do find it interesting that an awful lot of the alt-country bands that sprung up sounded quite a bit like some of the various projects Parsons was involved in.

What rises beyond 'interesting' to the level of 'significant,' is the manner in which these guys have gone around giving their fans the opportunity to pay the prices they pay to see them play their songs.

Davey
06-06-2005, 12:45 PM
How is Gram Parsons obtuse?
Hehehe, yeah, ya gotta figure he meant to say obscure or something along those lines. Lots of rock stars could be labelled obtuse, but Gram seemed like he was pretty intelligent. And Zevon was downright brilliant at times. Both made some bad lifestyle choices, and in Gram's case it cost him his life, but he still had a bright fire burning.

Swish
06-06-2005, 01:02 PM
and that's about as much as I can say about the Eagles. I think I'd rather sit at home and stick pins in my eyes than be forced to hear "Hotel California" or "One of These Nights" again.

Two inmates were on death row and the first was asked if he had any last requests. He told the warden "I would really love to hear Hotel California just one more time". The warden said that would be fine, then asked the second inmate if he had any last requests and he replied, "yes, please take me first".

Swish

shokhead
06-06-2005, 04:01 PM
I don't care if it's fashionable or not; I've never liked them & never had one record of theirs. And when I was a kid I had, as I've admitted in the past, records by bands like Styx & Kansas. But I never did like the Eagles. And I liked them less once I heard Gram Parsons & the Burrito Brothers. If I want to hear country-rock, that's what I go for. How is Gram Parsons obtuse? And when it comes to laid-back California pop I guess I could understand Jackson Browne a lot more than the Eagles, perhaps even Boz Scaggs. But I can't see listening to that stuff so long as there's those Randy Newman records. But that's me.

I've long seen it as a bunch of guys taking something that would be considered kind of artistic (country-rock as envisioned by Gram Parsons & others) & making it more accessible, with pop influences. Fine, I have no problem with that. But it's always seemed as though they did this in the most cynical way possible, in a manner that completely dismissed the artistic possibilities involved, solely for the benefit of the commercial possibilities. Now, you could say that's crazy for me to think that, but that's always the way it's seemed to me, so I really wouldn't care. And I do find it interesting that an awful lot of the alt-country bands that sprung up sounded quite a bit like some of the various projects Parsons was involved in.

What rises beyond 'interesting' to the level of 'significant,' is the manner in which these guys have gone around giving their fans the opportunity to pay the prices they pay to see them play their songs.

What in the heck are you talking about? Are you on drugs? The fricken taco Bros or whatever they are. The Burrito Brothers in the same breath as the Eagles? Oh,i get it,your joking,my bad.

MindGoneHaywire
06-06-2005, 05:00 PM
Hey, genius--I know you're the guy who thinks I'm the one who hasn't heard much. I realize you probably don't see the irony in this, but why not do me one little favor: go to AMG & pull up "The Eagles." Then tell me what's listed as the major influences on the Eagles. Then come back & explain why you'd put up a post like this, ok? Somehow I have a feeling it's based entirely on record sales. What Parsons/Burritos recs have you heard lately, that you'd issue this post? If you think the Eagles are better, as a matter of comparison, perhaps you could enlighten us as to why.

Swish
06-06-2005, 07:02 PM
Hey, genius--I know you're the guy who thinks I'm the one who hasn't heard much. I realize you probably don't see the irony in this, but why not do me one little favor: go to AMG & pull up "The Eagles." Then tell me what's listed as the major influences on the Eagles. Then come back & explain why you'd put up a post like this, ok? Somehow I have a feeling it's based entirely on record sales. What Parsons/Burritos recs have you heard lately, that you'd issue this post? If you think the Eagles are better, as a matter of comparison, perhaps you could enlighten us as to why.

Lowest Common Denominator. ;)

Swish

shokhead
06-07-2005, 06:02 AM

I'm the guy who thinks you havent heard much? What are you talking about? I like the Eagles and you like those other guys. Do i like the Eagles enough to have all there cd's,no. More then 5,no. Less then 3,yes. Parsons/Burritos arent my cup of tea from what i've heard here and there but i will go to AMG.

shokhead
06-07-2005, 08:47 AM
A quick check at AMG {nice site} say the BB glory days were breif. 30 albums. Out of 5 stars,the highest were 2 over 4 stars and 2 over 3 and the rest 2 or less. Eagles,5 #1 singles and 4 #1 albums. End of the 20th century, 2 albums among top 10 best selling ever. Only 8 albums. 1- 5 star, 1- 4 star and the rest 3 stars. Thats all from AMG.