Sound quality of vinyl pressings depending on country? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sound quality of vinyl pressings depending on country?

Kaboom
06-01-2005, 01:15 PM
For example i know that Japanese pressings are reknown for their excellent sound quality, but how do other countries compare?
For example are British or French pressings usually good or bad? Or do all the european pressings sound the same irregardless of where they were made?
I'm just wondering because i'm currently scouting out original pressings, but sometimes these are REALLY hard to come across (still waiting for a british pressing of Aqualung...) and i am always tempted to buy german, french or other kinds of european pressigns (anything BUT spanish...)
so anybody know?
cheers!

Jimmy C
06-01-2005, 02:12 PM
...you can generalize simply by country... I know what you mean, I have heard the same, but I paid $40 for a Japanese "Sgt. Peppers" that sounds average at best. I have $2 (used, of course...) LPs that are fantastic. Try some Dave Grisman... the music is fantastic, the recording quality is a bonus.

I think it comes down to the influence the band has on the engineers. Bela Fleck, for eg., makes sure a certain type of tape is used when laying down a record. I mean, KISS or the Sex Pistols probably didn't care if the record lacked dynamics, was too bright, whatever.