Need help choosing an HT A/V reciever [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing an HT A/V reciever

unchingono
05-31-2005, 01:16 PM
I'm getting ready to buy an A/V receiver and put together my Home Theater system. I looked a few years ago and looked at a Denon receiver (not sure which one, but it was around $850) and I also heard my brother's Onkyo Integra DTR-7.1 I know they don't make the DTR 7.1 anymore, but it sounded fantastic. One thing I did'nt like about the Denon, is that the sales guy turned it all the way up to get decent sound, I did'nt dig that. I'm ruling out Sony due to all the problems I've had in the past with all their products I've ever owned. Any insight or assistance you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Armand

BTW, I forgot to mention that I want it to run multi room or zone, as I have a set of speakers in the back deck and need a receiver that can run more than one Zone.

GMichael
05-31-2005, 01:39 PM
You are going to see a lot of different oppinions on this one. Personally I would go for the Yamaha RX-V1500 in that price range. It a good unit with 2 zones. The RX-2500 has 3 zones if you need more. But keep in mind that it will only drive 7 speakers at any one time. The Denon, Onkyo's and HK are all just as good plus or minus a few small points. Depends on just what you want.
There are others on this site with more info on specials and/or refurb/used units than me. I wouldn't feel secure in buying a refurb but plenty of others swear by them. Here is a site that someone posted a week or so ago. Happy hunting.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?catid=18&threadid=476586&highlight_key=y&keyword1=912k

unchingono
05-31-2005, 01:46 PM
Thanks, I did'nt even think about the Yamaha, I'll have to look at one. If I remember right, one of the local dealer sells both Yamaha and Denon, I will definatly compare the two.

nick4433
06-01-2005, 11:12 AM
And after you have compared and heard just about everything out there, buy the Denon.

paul_pci
06-01-2005, 03:53 PM
And after you've bought the Denon, return it and buy the Yamaha.

nick4433
06-01-2005, 04:47 PM
And after you've bought the Denon, return it and buy the Yamaha.
Now why would you want to return the Denon and get the yammy?

Well I was just kidding about buying the Denon (an old, old joke). I have no idea in hell about the cuurent day receivers but I'll tell you what, I would not be surprised if somehow they can be tweaked enough to sound similar.

paul_pci
06-01-2005, 10:49 PM
Now why would you want to return the Denon and get the yammy?

Well I was just kidding about buying the Denon (an old, old joke). I have no idea in hell about the cuurent day receivers but I'll tell you what, I would not be surprised if somehow they can be tweaked enough to sound similar.

Granted and granted.