Spouse factor is a problem. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Spouse factor is a problem.

bdcc11
05-31-2005, 09:02 AM
I want new speakers so I can start enjoying some classical and Jazz music. When I listen I really listen. I have about $1000 budget (Give or take a bit) and I have started listening to different speakers.

I like the sound of the B&W 603 c3 but my wife will not let me get anything that she thinks is old still looking. (That's her words not mine)

Since we have a home theater setup and a Samsung DLP TV for movies, the only style that I have found that meets with her approval is the Definitive Tech Mythos speakers.

Are there any other good quality speakers that I can enjoy listening to and the wife can enjoy looking at.

Must be narrow and tall and silver. No wood or black colors.
Bang and Olifson have speakers that she would approve of but I won't pay that much and I don't know if they are of any quality since I haven't looked at them yet.

Any help appreciated.
:mad:

topspeed
05-31-2005, 10:31 AM
What about the B&W CM line? (http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.ranges/label/Range%20CM%20Series) They have silver front plates and were designed for this very scenario as they are essentially 600's in a designer dress. Still too boxy? B&W makes the FPM series (http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.ranges/label/Range%20FPM%20Series) specifically for use with flat panel monitors.

You might also consider these Maggie MMGW's (http://www.magnepan.com/_mmgw_c.php) as they can be placed flat against the wall when not in use. That should keep the significant other happy. Make sure you've got the right equipment to drive them as Maggies love current.

Hope this helps.

bdcc11
05-31-2005, 09:54 PM
I don't know how I missed the B&W FPM speakers when I was looking around. I how the local dealer has some I can listen to. They don't have the cool look from the back that may end up a problem but they look great from the front. I think they would make a great match to the TV.

Now I need to go and listen to some. Will need a sub with them.

Thanks

Geoffcin
06-01-2005, 02:33 AM
I want new speakers so I can start enjoying some classical and Jazz music. When I listen I really listen. I have about $1000 budget (Give or take a bit) and I have started listening to different speakers.

I like the sound of the B&W 603 c3 but my wife will not let me get anything that she thinks is old still looking. (That's her words not mine)

Since we have a home theater setup and a Samsung DLP TV for movies, the only style that I have found that meets with her approval is the Definitive Tech Mythos speakers.

Are there any other good quality speakers that I can enjoy listening to and the wife can enjoy looking at.

Bang and Olifson have speakers that she would approve of but I won't pay that much and I don't know if they are of any quality since I haven't looked at them yet.

Any help appreciated.

I would seriously have a sit down with her and ask her how much it really mean to her. Of course you could just do as she says.... if you plan on being told what to do for the rest of your life.

m500
06-01-2005, 04:06 AM
Check out the Monitor Audio Radius series. They fit her style perfectly.
http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/products/radius/index.htm

kexodusc
06-01-2005, 04:08 AM
Short of buying Maggies or ugly silver speakers I don't know what you can do. Personally, I like the classic, timeless look of a wooden finish in nice cabinet.

Ask your wife if she remembers the 1980's when electronics were rampant everywhere? Now they look horrible. Talk about "old" and dated looking....that's why I find wooden cabinets to be timeless...like nice furniture, not trendy, and not too flashy.

Florian
06-01-2005, 04:45 AM
How about some inwalls?

theaudiohobby
06-01-2005, 05:04 AM
Will she approve of these?

http://images.ciao.com/ifr/images/products/normal/467/product-230467.jpg

ELAC 310, they are quite capable to boot, unsuprisingly more popular in Japan and Europe (space concerns) though if you want to plunge the deepest bass and/or prefer not to have a midbass thump (similar to the B&W 603S3 and many other smaller standmounts in that respect), a good subwoofer will not go amiss.

jocko_nc
06-01-2005, 05:24 AM
How about a nice pink "Soundesign" unit with dual cassette? Or Bose. Chicks dig Bose. Make sure you pick something real trendy that will have to be discarded next time fashion changes. Then, she can throw away the speakers with the other nick-knacks.

How do they sound? That is the least concern.

I feel for you, man. Been there.

jocko

Buzz Roll
06-01-2005, 07:24 AM
Speakers are ugly. But without them your your home is a morgue. The best solution that I've come across is a pair of Ohm MicroWalsh Talls. I talk about them all of the time. They can straddle the performance/WAF situation better than any other speaker in the price range. Yes, the finish is wood, but any fancy visual trade-offs in the $1000 range will leave you hurting for acceptable sound. You will feel resentment everytime you sit down to listen to music in your home (unless you expand your budget). But, if you want better sound than a pair of MicroWalshes, you're going to have to spend A LOT more than a $1000, regardless of looks. They are that good (ESPECIALLY with Jazz and Classical - amazing).

I agree with her asthetic choices - but it's not possible to achieve all of them, and still have great performance. It's a comprimise, so if she can deal with the wood finish, the Ohms will work. If you guys don't like them, send 'em back.

RGA
06-01-2005, 08:16 AM
B&W has some style oriented speakers in th LM line and FPM line. http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.ranges.

Systems designed for looks first like many of the ones suggested so far including the B&W's are seriously compromised sonically. I found the LM series to be resonably good considering the looks and price.

Appearance goes in cycles anyway -- wood I suspect will last longer than silver which IMO is tacky and makes speakers look cheap ala Bose.

I would show your wife Totem Rainmakers -- fine speakers great wood finish small and cuddly.

GMichael
06-01-2005, 09:15 AM
"I would show your wife Totem Rainmakers -- fine speakers great wood finish small and cuddly."

Oh my G..! Small and cuddly? You are killing me. That's the funiest thing I've read all day. Thanks RGA. That was great!

nightflier
06-01-2005, 10:42 AM
I would seriously have a sit down with her and ask her how much it really mean to her. Of course you could just do as she says.... if you plan on being told what to do for the rest of your life.

Geoff must be single (or live in another house than his significant other)
:p

Seriously, though, it sounds like the decor your wife prefers is modern-minimalist-Ikea-high-tech-metallic (???). If so, I would also include the following on-wall options on your list:

- Mirage Omnisat
- Boston Acoustics Bravo's or P400 series
- Infinity TSS-SAT4000
- Martin Logan Frescos
- Sonus Faber WALLHW's
- Phase Tech Teatros
- NHT Anthracites

If you have small children, you will be doubly thankfull that they can't knock 'em over. Another thing you might want to try which a friend of mine did: he build narrow sconces with wooden shelves in the drywall of his HT room so that he could recess his bookshelf speakers into them. He also added in-wall speaker plugs and the hole thing looks very clean. Just make sure you use front-ported speakers.

kexodusc
06-01-2005, 01:14 PM
I'll second the Rainmakers, an excellent looking and sounding speaker with a modest price tag.

Jimmy C
06-01-2005, 01:50 PM
...the Vienna Acoustics Shonberg? When I first saw pix of these, I thought (not sure why) these were going to be very large... that's not the case. They don't require much floorspace at all.

You can read about them on their web, but it's a 2.5-way speaker with a smooth soft-dome tweeter. Your better half will probably be happy with the aesthetics.

Uh, oh... the price thing - actually, I forgot. IIRC, they're about $2500.

Jimmy C
06-01-2005, 01:52 PM
...uhh... I guess I missed the target price - sorry!

Amazing... money is no object when it belongs to other people...

RGA
06-01-2005, 02:43 PM

Any help appreciated.

Another shot at this might be some electrostats. In around this price range is a new Martin Logan electrostat --- which certainly have a certain COOL looks factor - Magnepan's 1.6 if you get it in black look sexy. I think the Magnepan at $2k cdn is quite a fantastic speaker open and very clean sounding with adequate bass depth and resolution. They need a 4 ohm stable amp http://www.magnepan.com/_mg16.php
The ML http://www.martinlogan.com/script_i_speaker.html#none -- one of the retails for $1599.00US or something so might be worth checking out. The New ML's mostly seem easy to drive only dipping to 3 ohms