Monitor Audio B2 VS Paradigm Mini Monitor [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Audio B2 VS Paradigm Mini Monitor

ninetynine
05-30-2005, 03:04 PM
I want to purchase a second set of speakers for my main system and use my psb image 2bs for a vintage system. I'll be using a Rotel RA-1062 with either the monitor audio b2 or paradigm mini monitor which fit into my budget and are priced 500$ Canadian. I already tested the monitor audio's out and they sounded absolutely fantastic with my amp. Although , I haven't heard the paradigm mini monitors yet but am attracted to them because of the hype surrounding them! Are these speakers really that different from each other?? For those who have heard them can you comment?

kexodusc
05-30-2005, 03:30 PM
This is gonna be a Coke vs. Pepsi thing IMO...I like both of these speakers for the money. FYI, the local shop in my Province in Canada sells the Mini Monitors for $420, so you should be able to get that at least...a few months back they were as low as $380.

The Monitor Audio's are one of the few speakers that have a tweeter even brighter than Paradigm's...a bit too much for me, but some like the open-airy sound it gives. To each their own. If memory serves the B2's are a bit cheaper.

jasmit
05-30-2005, 03:41 PM
I've auditioned both but not side by side; different days, different shops. Both are great sounding speakers at their price point. Like kex said, it's Coke vs. Pepsi. I found the MA's to be a little more forward/brighter than the Mini's.

ninetynine
05-31-2005, 02:47 PM
Hehe i know what you guys mean , any comments on the built quality?

kexodusc
05-31-2005, 03:15 PM
Build quality would be very, very similar at this price range. Don't worry about defects, or faults in the mechanical sense. The speakers should last an aweful long time if not abused. Any performance issues should manifest themselves soon after you purchase them, well within the 5 year warranties (I believe Monitor audio has 5 years, Paradigm does for sure). Usually most problems happen in the first few months of usuage. I wouldn't really worry about either brand as far as quality goes...just whatever sound you prefer.

oddeoowphil38
06-01-2005, 05:25 AM
I want to purchase a second set of speakers for my main system and use my psb image 2bs for a vintage system. I'll be using a Rotel RA-1062 with either the monitor audio b2 or paradigm mini monitor which fit into my budget and are priced 500$ Canadian. I already tested the monitor audio's out and they sounded absolutely fantastic with my amp. Although , I haven't heard the paradigm mini monitors yet but am attracted to them because of the hype surrounding them! Are these speakers really that different from each other?? For those who have heard them can you comment?
Hello there just thought I would add my .02 cents here. I have to be honest and say I have never heard the monitor audio brand of speakers. There is no doubt they are well received on many forums. But, I have heard the minis v.3 and v.4. IMHO, the minis are awesome for the money but were a little recessed in the upper registers when compared to the monitor 3. That is, the monitor 3 was much more open and airy as well as not being nearly as recessed in the upper registers. Also, the monitor 3's had a much larger sound stage and did not seem as stressed when compared using the same equippment in the same room and doing an A/B comparison. Further, the monitor 3's are not much more than the minis. Be sure to check the monitor 3's out they are truly amazing for the money. Good luck with your descision.