Revisiting a Rave Wreck Rec [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Revisiting a Rave Wreck Rec

ForeverAutumn
05-30-2005, 02:31 PM
Or should that be a Rave Rec Wreck. ;)

I chose to go back and relisten to a rec from Audiobill about two years ago. It was a disk that many around here hold in very high regard but I just couldn't see the attraction. Even a couple of years later, this disk still comes into discussion frequently.

The disk? Lucinda Williams, Car Wheels on a Gravel Road.

Bill recommended this disk to me and, when I first heard it, I didn't like it at all. But the type of music that I frequently listen to has taken a drastic turn over the last 12 - 18 months. So, I decided to give it another whirl.

I felt differently about it this time. I liked it. Not enough to want to run out and buy additional Lucinda Williams disks, but enough that I would listen to it more often. There are some fantastic songs on this disk! But I'm still having a problem with her voice. It's not that I don't think that she's talented. She is, no doubt. But I just don't like that kind of twangy, drawn out, drawl. It's a personal preference. Yet, I tried to imagine who else could sing her songs so that I would like them better, and I just couldn't come up with anyone else. So, while I'm not in love with her voice, the songs suit her (or vice versa).

So, Bill...if you're around...it took me a while, but thanks for the rec. :D