Sub-out or connecting speakers throught your sub? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sub-out or connecting speakers throught your sub?

Curtis
05-30-2005, 05:52 AM
Is there any difference in sound quality between using a sub out or connecting your speakers through your subwoofer? I've never heard that there is but it seems like there could be.

JohnMichael
05-30-2005, 06:46 AM
If you are using a powered sub in my opinion it is best to use the sub out. There is less distortion and your main speakers can be driven full range from your amp or receiver. Subs I have used if you hook up through the speaker outputs to the sub their is sometimes a crossover removing low bass from the main speakers and sometimes adding colorations. Of course with small satelite speakers it might be beneficial to remove the low bass. As always it will depend on your system and related equipment. Try it both ways and stick with the one that gives better sound.

Kursun
05-30-2005, 08:32 AM
Is there any difference in sound quality (http://forums.audioreview.com/newreply.php#) between using a sub out or connecting your speakers (http://forums.audioreview.com/newreply.php#) through your subwoofer? I've never heard that there is but it seems like there could be.I don't think serious subs have main speaker outs. If there are any main speaker outputs at the sub they usually have an electrolytic condenser wired in series. This acts as a simple 6 db/octave filter applied at the main speaker outputs. This is an uncontrolled low quality approach. Such a high valued electrolytic capacitor in series will have adverse effects on the main speakers. Ideally you should only use the dedicated sub outs and wire the main speakers directly. All sub crossover tasks should be handled at line level, not speaker level.

kexodusc
05-30-2005, 08:39 AM
If you are using a powered sub in my opinion it is best to use the sub out. There is less distortion and your main speakers can be driven full range from your amp or receiver. Subs I have used if you hook up through the speaker outputs to the sub their is sometimes a crossover removing low bass from the main speakers and sometimes adding colorations. Of course with small satelite speakers it might be beneficial to remove the low bass. As always it will depend on your system and related equipment. Try it both ways and stick with the one that gives better sound.
JohnMichael brings up some good points.
All I would add is that the low-level or high-level inputs into the subwoofer should yield the same sound quality for the subwoofer. Powering speakers and a subwoofer from a plate amp could get a bit tricky though depending on your speakers. If the LFE input option is available, there's no reason not to use it.

The nice thing about using the speaker-line inputs into the sub is that you fully employ the crossover to the speakers. Even most large floorstanders will benefit from improved linear control, lower distortion, and quicker, more accurate and better response, when relieved of the most demaning frequencies in the bottom octave. You reduce the amount of excursion required, possibly preveneting damage, but keeping the speaker's output more linear. This becomes even more important as you turn up the volume. Thankfully most modern receivers have flexible bass management allowing you to cross signal over to the subwoofer. At some point in the future I hope more higher end amplifier and pre-amp manufacturers wisen up and take advantage of this potential.

pefat
07-02-2005, 02:38 PM
But I heard that the crossover of the sub collides with the crossover in the receiver resulting in decreasing sound quality.
So is there a way to turn of the crossover of the sub from the inside circuitry?

kexodusc
07-02-2005, 02:47 PM
The sub's crossover doesn't necessarily interfere with the receivers crossover...turn the sub's xo all the way up and it basically makes it useless...the receiver will ensure that now frequencies above the reciever's crossover are going to the sub anyway, so you're crossing over outside the ability of the sub...
some subs have a by-pass that makes it easier, but it's really not any more effective.