Upgrade TT? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade TT?

Arturo7
05-29-2005, 02:08 PM
Several years ago I picked up a Technics SL-QL15 that I got from a buddy but never hooked up. Now I'm ready to take the plunge back into vinyl. I'm planning to buy or build a tube phono pre-amp. Here's the question(s):

I don't know much about this model. Is it worth keeping and upgrading the cartridge or should dump it and move on? If it's a keeper, what would be a recommended cartridge? Also, if I'm looking at used tables, what is generally the minimum I would need to spend to get something that wouldn't leave me jones-ing for more? I realize these are subjective questions but I'm totally in the dark when it comes to playing vinyl. Any input would be appreciated.

Art

RGA
05-29-2005, 06:13 PM
First I can;t say anything about this table. But what I can say is that inexpensive turntables like the NAD and Rega and Pro-jects are probably better than anything you'll find at the used store that sells some old turntables like Dual or Thorens. Though you'll get supporters of this - to me most of the ones I've seen are so old and probably not worth the bother.

On the other hand My NAD is a Rega P2 clone and while good it too needed a much better cartridge. and even my cartridge is no world beater. For the money it's good.

Really I think you need to either go cheap Pro-Ject Debut II which is a very nice sounding inexpensive player ~$300.00 someone else may know the exact price, OR don;t mess around and go to at LEAST the Audio Note TT1 or Linn LP12 level.

I am considering trading my NaD fairly soon...I figureI'm going to need a new needle and was going to upgrade the cartridge anyway so I may as well get the table.. The AN TT1 is their entry level table and will run about $1800.00US with the basic arm and basic cartridge. UHF once said it wasn't worth messing around with the low end tables. The NAD is good and all but it simply does leave one wanting something better.

On the good side for you the pro ject is better than the NAD and it's a lot cheaper -- I think I paid $650.00Cdn including the Shure Cart. The Pro-ject is about half that.

JoeE SP9
05-29-2005, 06:48 PM
Several years ago I picked up a Technics SL-QL15 that I got from a buddy but never hooked up. Now I'm ready to take the plunge back into vinyl. I'm planning to buy or build a tube phono pre-amp. Here's the question(s):

I don't know much about this model. Is it worth keeping and upgrading the cartridge or should dump it and move on? If it's a keeper, what would be a recommended cartridge? Also, if I'm looking at used tables, what is generally the minimum I would need to spend to get something that wouldn't leave me jones-ing for more? I realize these are subjective questions but I'm totally in the dark when it comes to playing vinyl. Any input would be appreciated.

Art That TT if I am correct is a straight line tracking direct drive TT which uses a p-mount cartridge. They do not have a particularly good reputation. If you can swing $300 or so go to www.needledoctor.com (http://www.needledoctor.com) and check out the Music Hall TT's. The needledoctor also carries a variety of TT's from various manufacturers at all price ranges from reasonable to unbelievable. For the availability of used TT's check Audiogon. I originally bought my VPI Jr. used and have upgraded it slowly since. It now is virtually a HW-19

hifitommy
06-04-2005, 06:40 AM
thats nice to see. follow the above advice and you cant go wrong.