Stands for TV's [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Stands for TV's

Jim Clark
05-28-2005, 06:03 AM
Finally ready to replace the pudly 32 Sony Wega and get a real HT picture up and going. Just started looking last night and confirmed my initial belief that for me the best option is going to be a DLP TV, probably a 62 inch. While I'm still a bit sketchy on some of the tech details I need to make sure my TV has, where I'm really hurting is in the area of stands. Come on, those matching stands are lame unless you're a bachelor (and want to stay that way) and I'm needing something a little more elegant and presentable. Chrome and glass need not apply.

The nicer wall units were great for RPTVs but since the DLPs are more narrow, the wall units I've seen don't look right to me since they are more narrow as well. It just doesn't seem to work. Additionally, recapturing some of the previously lost space is something I'm looking forward to. Perhaps a solution might be a table or some similar piece of actual furniture designed to accomplish what I'm after? Has anybody come across something like this and can point me to some solutions? If the table can somehow accomodate a CC speaker, that would be awesome.

After I find a solution for the TV, I'll move into an equipment stand of similar design although a companion piece for the table would be the jackpot, I think.

Thanks,
jc

AVMASTER
05-28-2005, 09:09 AM

www.salamanderdesigns.com
check out the "configurator" for a customized design

Jim Clark
05-28-2005, 01:41 PM

www.salamanderdesigns.com
check out the "configurator" for a customized design

I see a candidate in there. Thanks.

Not that it really matters but I just saw my first rainbow today so I'm thinking DLP maybe isn't the thing for me after all. The Sony LCD rear projectors looked very nice though. From my viewing distance the 55xs955 didn't show any noticeable screen door problems. Close up - well that's another story.

Thanks for the link.

jc

AVMASTER
05-29-2005, 09:39 AM
did you see the effect immediately or after extended veiwing ?
another alternative , if DLP is still in the running, would be the Infocus/RCA wall-mountable
DLP---7" depth and less than 100lbs.
The Sony XS series projected LCDs are very nice and seems to be gaining in popularity suddenly ( sold 2 55" yesterday). I'm still a Hitachi fan but the new JVC HD-ILA is also
something you should take a look at--- just recently got the 70" up and running in my main showroom with a Denon AVR3805, Polk RM6900, Panasonic DVDs97, 3 Premiere motorized loungers, and the TV sits on a Salamander stand. The WOW factor takes place every time someone goes back there.

Jim Clark
05-29-2005, 10:22 AM
did you see the effect immediately or after extended veiwing ?
another alternative , if DLP is still in the running, would be the Infocus/RCA wall-mountable
DLP---7" depth and less than 100lbs.
The Sony XS series projected LCDs are very nice and seems to be gaining in popularity suddenly ( sold 2 55" yesterday). I'm still a Hitachi fan but the new JVC HD-ILA is also
something you should take a look at--- just recently got the 70" up and running in my main showroom with a Denon AVR3805, Polk RM6900, Panasonic DVDs97, 3 Premiere motorized loungers, and the TV sits on a Salamander stand. The WOW factor takes place every time someone goes back there.

You know what? Didn't see it at all Friday night. The only source was a dark James Taylor DVD. Went to Kiefs, a smaller audio store in Lawrence KS using a HD brodcast source and saw it right away on a Mitts series 7, pretty sure it was the 62 inch. Not really sure what's up with that. Not really sure if what I saw was a rainbow or not. I saw a green arc of light near the bottom right hand corner of the screen. Then I saw something similar in the middle of the screen.

I like the Sony Grand Wegas, but like so many of these beasts, the SD picture leaves a lot to be desired. Of course this is old news to everyone but this is my first time diving into HD displays. To be honest, I'm fairly bummed. There is a huge thread on the XS series at the AVS forums and they claim that the available tweaks will make SD pictures more than acceptable. I'm hopeful but wouldn't want to take any bets on the matter.

So, you still have some Panasonic S97's? Learned from the same forum that this discontinued model is pretty freaking hot. Do they play DVD + and - recordable discs?

Thanks!

jc and I'm off to work now so I won't be checking back for a while.

Woochifer
05-29-2005, 02:16 PM
Depends on what you're aiming for. I'm not sure what you're getting at with your comments on the matching stands and chrome and glass, because when talking about WAF, the matching furniture and glass/chrome look can look quite good. It's all subjective of course. Some people want the more substantial look of an entertainment cabinet, while others wouldn't be caught dead with something that big in the middle of their room. With others, the primary issue is audio performance, so anything that encloses the center speaker or aligns it at the wrong height is unacceptable.

Here are a couple of links for places that sell TV stands:

http://www.racksandstands.com/
http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/categorylisting.asp?hdnCat=A%2FV+Furniture&sel=1&CategoryID=7

I use the Salamander Synergy modular rack with my audio equipment, and plan to get another set when I upgrade my TV (it has a plasma stand option, which I plan to use because it gives me greater placement flexibility with the center speaker placement).

Another option that you got is to just bypass all of this and go with a wall-mounted model. Aside from flat panel LCDs and plasmas, JVC's D-ILA TVs I believe can be wall-mounted, and some DLP TVs have already come out that are narrow enough for wall mounting.

Jim Clark
05-29-2005, 04:25 PM
Depends on what you're aiming for. I'm not sure what you're getting at with your comments on the matching stands and chrome and glass, because when talking about WAF, the matching furniture and glass/chrome look can look quite good. It's all subjective of course. Some people want the more substantial look of an entertainment cabinet, while others wouldn't be caught dead with something that big in the middle of their room. With others, the primary issue is audio performance, so anything that encloses the center speaker or aligns it at the wrong height is unacceptable.

Here are a couple of links for places that sell TV stands:

http://www.racksandstands.com/
http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/categorylisting.asp?hdnCat=A%2FV+Furniture&sel=1&CategoryID=7

I use the Salamander Synergy modular rack with my audio equipment, and plan to get another set when I upgrade my TV (it has a plasma stand option, which I plan to use because it gives me greater placement flexibility with the center speaker placement).

Another option that you got is to just bypass all of this and go with a wall-mounted model. Aside from flat panel LCDs and plasmas, JVC's D-ILA TVs I believe can be wall-mounted, and some DLP TVs have already come out that are narrow enough for wall mounting.

You know, the Salamander triple 20 from the synergy series may be about the best thing I've seen yet. I like how it's able to be customized. That's the kind of thing I'm thinking of. And of course you're right, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and a chrome and glass stand can look right at home in an ultra modern setting. That's not what I have and certainly not my preference.

I found one thread at AVS where a guy found a beautiful piece at an unfinished furniture store that was actually pretty similar in design to the triple 20. I think I like the ability to match colors more closely but cost is probably going to come into play somewhere along the line but the Salamander doesn't seem cost prohibitive even all decked out.

No wall mounted for me just yet. At that point speaker placement would be too tough for me to deal with. Plus, I have't seen the picture that would make me feel comfortable spending that kind of money just yet. Hopefully down the road though.

Thanks for the reply.