Dear Flo, Lord Megaman [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dear Flo, Lord Megaman

GMichael
05-27-2005, 12:47 PM
Flo, have you looked at the mini-Mags at all? I know that you are more into the "hi end" 2.0 systems, but have you checked out the MMGW's at all? These are more in my price range. They seem like they would work well in an HT system. I know the 5 ohm load is stretching my receiver out a bit, but when I spoke to a rep he assured me that because it's a 5 ohm load accross the spectrum at any wattage that I'd be safe. Was that a line just to get me to buy them or is it a truth? Have you listen to these at all?

http://www.magnepan.com/_mmgw_c.php

Florian
05-29-2005, 01:51 PM
I sent you a PM...since my answere will cause a big fight.

Geoffcin
05-29-2005, 06:02 PM
Flo, have you looked at the mini-Mags at all? I know that you are more into the "hi end" 2.0 systems, but have you checked out the MMGW's at all? These are more in my price range. They seem like they would work well in an HT system. I know the 5 ohm load is stretching my receiver out a bit, but when I spoke to a rep he assured me that because it's a 5 ohm load accross the spectrum at any wattage that I'd be safe. Was that a line just to get me to buy them or is it a truth? Have you listen to these at all?

http://www.magnepan.com/_mmgw_c.php

What would be the big fight?

Florian
05-29-2005, 09:21 PM
The truth about driver matching, sonic signatures and colorations.

GMichael
05-30-2005, 04:24 AM
Thanks Flo. I got a chance to hear the MC1's last week. I like their sound very much but were just a little high for me right now. The MMGW & MMGC are more in my range but no one has them. I would have to order them direct. Anyway, thanks again for the answers.

Geoffcin
05-30-2005, 04:27 AM

And I suppose you have the truth about these things and don't feel like sharing?

kexodusc
05-30-2005, 04:27 AM
Actually, I think this could be very informative to the members here, and probably well worth whatever debate spews forth - heated discussions are better than no discussions - better the forums get all sides than just one, right?

Let's have it :D

Florian
05-30-2005, 11:59 AM
Thanks Flo. I got a chance to hear the MC1's last week. I like their sound very much but were just a little high for me right now. The MMGW & MMGC are more in my range but no one has them. I would have to order them direct. Anyway, thanks again for the answers.
Thats because they are only sold directly. Try them, you wont be dissapointed. A awsome Receiver and a good match to the Maggies is the Cambridge Audio Azur 540R

-Flo

GMichael
05-30-2005, 12:27 PM
I will keep this receiver on my wish list. Do you think my Yamaha will have trouble with the MMGW & MMGC while I am waiting?

Florian
05-30-2005, 12:32 PM
NO the Yamaha will be fine. You can drive a 1.6 with that no problem too.

-Flo

GMichael
05-30-2005, 06:09 PM
What I may do is order the MMGW & MMGC on the 60 day trial deal. I can't pass these up at $300 a pair. If I like them I will probably get another pair for surround. After that I would like to upgade the fronts, and the original pair would end up as rears. But I still have more shopping to do before I'm ready.
Thanks again,

JoeE SP9
05-30-2005, 06:30 PM
I have been recommending Maneplaners of various sizes and prices ever since I bought a pair in 1978. No one that has bought a pair on my recomendation has ever complained. For the most part they have removed themselves from the upgrade track. The exceptions to that have been to buy bigger Maggy's.

Florian
05-31-2005, 12:21 AM
Thats why i bought the 1.6 and 3.6 after my first Maggie :-)
The Apogee's are better, but they are more expensive and are a lot harder to come buy too.

Maggies are awsome tough !

GMichael
06-01-2005, 10:55 AM
The Mags are looking good to me. The MMG's look better than the MMGW's. MG1.6 for mains would be great. Maybe MMG's to start and then upgrade to the 1.6. I see they have a decent upgrade pollicy. Nice to see that.
Has anyone looked at these ZERO-Autoformers? Are these for real or just another gimick? Here is the link I found.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrplan&1121118669

Florian
06-01-2005, 12:11 PM
The Autotransformers work great, but are not needed for a MMG or MG12 or a 1.6
Against popular believe the Maggies are actually very easy to drive and dont fluctuate in the impedance area. The best start is a MMG or a MG12 and then go from there. You dont need a center channel with maggies in the beginning because they fill in the center just bythemselves.

-Flo