Samsung DLP or Panasonic LCD (Projection) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Samsung DLP or Panasonic LCD (Projection)

rcraig
05-27-2005, 12:16 PM
I am finally making the jump into HDTV and need some recommendations on the 2 TV's I'm considering. Space constraints have severly limited my options. The TV needs to fit into a built-in entertainment center. My max dimensions are 33" high and 46" wide. I would prefer to buy from a local store here in the Central Florida area.

The 2 candidates are:

Samsung 46" Widescreen DLP HDTV Monitor (SAM HLP4663W)
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsung-46-DLP-HDTV-Monitor-HL-P4663W-/sem/rpsm/oid/95082/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Panasonic 44" Widescreen LCD Rear-Projection HDTV (PT-44LCX65)
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Panasonic-44-HDTV-PT-44LCX65-/sem/rpsm/oid/123071/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I am a Directv customer and I'm currently working with them to get a good deal on the required HD Directv receiver and a triple lnb dish. I still need to do a lot of homework on an antenna that can be used to pick up the local broadcasts in HD.

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Again, the 33" x 46" space constraint can not be changed. If there are other HDTV's out there that I should be considering, please let me know. I'm looking to keep the TV in the $1700 - $2500 price range.

Thanks much!

edtyct
05-27-2005, 02:25 PM
I don't recall dimensions well enough to expand your list. Nor do I know much about the Panasonic (#) LCD, except that as an LCD, it will have a sharp, bright picture with a limited ability to reach dark black (to some unspecified degree) and a generally pleasing color palette if properly calibrated and viewed at a proper distance, straight ahead at eye level.

The Samsung (#) that you're looking at also creates a good picture, but it is not the best-appointed DLP on Samsung's roster. It uses the HD3 chip rather than the contemporary HD2+, which is larger, provides better contrast, and boasts the infamous dimple to reduce stray light in dark scenes. At this point, it should have the seven-segment, fast color wheel, with the extra shade of green to help render black. The HD3 chip is basically intended as a higher-production, lower-cost model This disadvantage, however, would not automatically translate into a noticeably inferior picture. Any flaws might be conpicuous only in head-to-head comparisons, unless you had a strong personal catalog of TVs and an exceptional memory. I have heard that this model has had some trouble with lamps blowing out early, but don't quote me on it. I'd do some web research to make sure.

The main buzzword in a comparison of sets like this is usually black level. Some people can't live without a deep black. Though neither of these sets can deliver that, one could be obviously better than the other. If price doesn't get in the way, it might be the one that you ultimately choose, so long as issues of reliability don't intrude.

The other buzzwords are "rainbow effect" for DLPs and "screen door effect" and "motion lag" for LCDs. The speed of the Samsung's color wheel would appear to be fast enough to obviate any lingering rainbow effect when colors change, though people who see them tend to get scared away. But take courage, susceptibility to the effect is rare; if you've watched this set for some time without seeing it yet, you probably never will.

The space between the pixels on an LCD set are sometimes visible under certain conditions, reminding people of a screen door, but the fill factor is better now. Of course, if you insist on watching a TV (#) within the distance recommended by the manufacturer, or buy one bigger than your viewing area can accommodate, you'll see the picture elements. The pixels on flat-panel LCDs used to suffer from a slow refresh rate, which translated into visible color trails behind moving objects on screen. Things have improved considerably since the early sets. The chips on LCD RPTVs, however, are so small that, even without the technology improving, this artifact is largely absent.

So far as an antenna is concerned for OTA reception, in major market areas without any obvious signal impediments, many households can pick up signals with an antenna in their attics, or even a low profile one on a window sill or on the set itself, from many miles away. Don't go buying a Winegard for your roof until you've made sure that your reception requires one. I believe that the Terk website has some helpful information about stations and appropriate capture devices.

Ed

Kaiser Sosze
05-30-2005, 11:09 AM
I have an added question since I 'm in similiar market,

In comparison to a HDTV rear projection TV, aligning the Convergence is a pain and always becoming unaligned when the set is moved or some other affect,
1) Projection DLP and LCD- do they need to be aligned with the convergence grid?

I could not find the option on my friends Panasonic DD LCD projection, I'm assuming they don't have to be, But am unfamiliar to the DLP

Having a tech come in every so often to fix it using the remote for $75 is so fustrating

Thanks
KS

edtyct
05-30-2005, 01:42 PM
No convergence adjustments are necessary with LCD or DLP. It's strictly a CRT thing.

agtpunx40
05-30-2005, 04:11 PM
Is auto convergence on new crt based projection tvs usually acceptable? If not, how difficult is it to do without experience other than basic tv setup with an avia disk, and how often does it usually need to be done?

edtyct
05-30-2005, 07:42 PM
It depends on what you mean by "acceptable." People have different standards. The effectiveness of auto convergence can also differ from set to set. Even though the automatic variety usually gets you into the ballpark, a manual option is always best to have for inevitable finetuning to one degree or another. If a set doesn't offer manual convergence, or offers it only in the service menu, I would consider it at a disadvantage. Convergence isn't hard to do, but it can be time-consuming, especially if a projector is generous enough to provide more than nine measly points. If you wear glasses, and bifocals, seeing clearly is hard enough, but attempting to align three colors on a crosshatch can be just enough torture to send someone screaming to a fixed-pixel display, though many people aren't too fussy, and others don't mind the extra work, given the rewards. A new set should undergo convergence within the first month, and then every three months or so thereafter, unless rainbows begin to propagate on screen sooner. If you move the set in any way shape or form, you'll probably need to converge it immediately. Going out of convergence is an occupational hazard for CRT RPTVs and front projectors.

Ed

stan2
05-31-2005, 03:55 PM
before you buy any samsung from that series (number ending with '63') ck the newer models. they blow away that older model. you want one with the HD2+ chip. the 63 series doesn't have it and that's why they are on sale everywhere...

drseid
06-01-2005, 01:36 AM
Ed and Stan have already given you some excellent information and recommendations...

The only minor warning I will say on the DLP sets is that believe it or not, the 7 segment color wheels do not eliminate the chance of seeing rainbow effects... I found out the hard way after buying the (then) top of the line Samsung "Kirk" pedestal model with the HD2+ chip. It had a 7 segment color wheel, and yet the rainbow effect was so bad when I watched the set, I had to return it a week later... and I *really* did not want to, as otherwise it had a superb picture, and overall look.

As Ed mentioned, seeing rainbow effects is *very* rare, but definitely make sure you (or anyone else that would be watching the set regularly) do not see them. If you are like 95%+ of the population, then you won't, and DLP makes a lot of sense to me. If you are one of the unlucky few like me (and believe me, if you do see them you will *know* it rather quickly), then steer clear and buy LCD instead.

---Dave

giantfan
06-01-2005, 06:09 PM
If you had another 2" in height, I would recommend the Optoma 50". Fits the width perfectly. My sis has had the set for 2 months now and all smiles. Had to remove the top shelf of her Ikea unit but the built in look was worth it. About $1800 delivered and installed from costco.com.

toenail
06-02-2005, 01:37 AM
Good luck in choosing a new set. I would highly recommend the Zenith Silver Sensor for indoor OTA antenna @ $40 from Sears. Search the net, read the reviews.

rcraig
06-02-2005, 01:57 PM
Great info everyone! Keep it coming. :)

I really appreciate the heads-up on the Samung unit that is dropping in price like a rock. I worked at Circuit City about 10 years ago. When prices are dropping quickly, low and behold, something newer and most likely better is on its way. You have to jump in sometime, but if you're not in a major rush, you'll normally end up much happier.

I probably won't be purchasing for another 3 to 6 weeks (and longer depending on what's available). I just hope and pray that something will continue to fit nicely into my limited cabinet space.

Thanks again!

rcraig
06-03-2005, 11:11 AM
stan2 ... just wanted to say thanks again on the heads-up on the Samsung "63" series. Low and behold Circuit City has just closed them out. They're not available in the stores locally or online.

I also have been on the phone with Directv lately and they agreed to take $250 off the price of the required HD equipment. Getting closer every day! I give Directv props for wanting to retain their customer base. If you complain (or just ask) they are normally very good to work with. I've been with them since 1999.

bsr2005
06-03-2005, 10:04 PM
stan2 ... just wanted to say thanks again on the heads-up on the Samsung "63" series. Low and behold Circuit City has just closed them out. They're not available in the stores locally or online.

I also have been on the phone with Directv lately and they agreed to take $250 off the price of the required HD equipment. Getting closer every day! I give Directv props for wanting to retain their customer base. If you complain (or just ask) they are normally very good to work with. I've been with them since 1999.

Hi,

I did 3 months research on Sony LCD and Panasonic LCD. Finally I got Panasonic 43LC14. After viewing couple of days we felt 50" TV would be more suitable for the hall. Even that time we considered again SOny. But some features and price made our choice, we got again Panasonic, 50" 50LC14. We didn't give much preference to the cable box feature. Most of the time, we watch DVD's. And also you don't get full advantage of Cable Box, HDTV etc.For example looking for the next programs, info, Order movies etc all these need cable box. PC, HDMI options are highlight for me, because I watch international sports.. they are only available through the internet. I have been watching all kind of programs in my 50" panasonic for almost 4 months now.. I like it. Only disadvantage is when you switch on and off you need to wait max 1 min. If you switch off and switch on quickly.. it takes longer time to ON.. also it may damage bulb. :cool:

rcraig
06-13-2005, 05:42 PM
before you buy any samsung from that series (number ending with '63') ck the newer models. they blow away that older model. you want one with the HD2+ chip. the 63 series doesn't have it and that's why they are on sale everywhere...

Stan (and others) ... Do the current Samsung models in Circuit City and Best Buy have the HD2+ chip? The respective models are HL-R5067W and HL-R4667W?

I realized there is a small "facing" on our built-in wall center. If I can tilt the tv in while putting it in the cabinet, I think I just gained 2 more inches!!! No wise 2" comments please :D

Also, any further comments on Samsung DLP?

Thanks again!
Rob