Musician Jeff Healey battling cancer again [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Musician Jeff Healey battling cancer again

ForeverAutumn
05-27-2005, 08:21 AM
My thoughts are with Jeff as I hope for a speedy and full recovery. For those of you who aren't familiar with Jeff Healey I highly recommend that you search out some of his music. He is an outstanding guitarist. An even greater accomplishment for him as he has been totally blind since childhood.

TORONTO (CP) - Toronto musician Jeff Healey underwent what is being reported as a successful operation to remove a sarcoma, a malignant tumour on his left thigh and will be recovering for the next month.

A publicist says it appears the cancer has not spread elsewhere in Healey's body but he will have to be checked every four to six months for the rest of his life.

It was a cancer that required the removal of both the musician's eyes when he was an infant.

"In spite of this news, I'm doing okay," he said in a statement from his hospital bed this week. "The doctor is very happy with the results of the operation."

He said he recommends others with a previous history of cancer get regular check-ups because there is a genetic predisposition to other types of cancer.

Healey plans to continue his new radio show on a Toronto jazz station and expects to be back playing at his night club by mid-June.

In March, Healey's wife Cristie gave birth to the couple's first child.