how long have you been around RR [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : how long have you been around RR

Javier
05-26-2005, 03:52 PM
Reading the thread below ( letter for Eric) i thought of asking this to all of you.
Been around since 1997 so that makes 8 years I started reading the long discussions on the general and speaker forums,some day I discovered RR and since then is the forum I come by and ocasionally jump for other forums in search of especific ansewrs.

Slosh
05-26-2005, 06:41 PM
all the live long day

tentoze
05-26-2005, 09:56 PM
I never came here before now.

DarrenH
05-26-2005, 10:04 PM
This is my first post.

jasn
05-27-2005, 04:06 AM
Luke...I am your Father!

Jim Clark
05-27-2005, 04:19 AM
Doesn't seem that long. Time flies when you're having fun. I came from the HT forum and about 8 1/2 years may be right. I'd been there at least a year before I even clicked on this forum. Man can only stomach so many "what's the best 500.00 dollar receiver" threads.

NP: Le Tigre
Nov. 23, 2004
Commodore Ballroom, Vancouver, BC

source: PRE-FM DAT > CD-R > EAC > WAV (tracks split in CoolEdit > SHN

setlist:

1. TKO
2. F.Y.R.
3. Le Tigre Anthem
4. After Dark
5. Well Well Well
6. Keep On Livin'
7. On The Verge
8. The The Empty
9. What's Yr Take On Cassavetes
10. This Island
11. Viz
12. Seconds
13. Punker Plus
14. Hot Topic
15. Nanny Nanny Boo Boo
16. Deceptacon
17. I'm So Excited (Pointer Sisters)

jc

Stone
05-27-2005, 04:31 AM
What's this thread about?

ForeverAutumn
05-27-2005, 04:45 AM
What's this thread about?

Troublemaker!!!

I've been hanging out here for 2.5 years now. Long enough to drain my wallet and run out of CD storage (again!).

Stone
05-27-2005, 05:09 AM
I think it's been about 5.5 years for me. IIRC I was looking for audio equipment in the fall of '99 and stumbled across RR.

shokhead
05-27-2005, 05:52 AM
To long.

Stone
05-27-2005, 06:14 AM
To[o] long.

I feel the same way.

shokhead
05-27-2005, 06:19 AM
Bend over and say,please.

DarrenH
05-27-2005, 06:19 AM
I think it's been about 5.5 years for me. IIRC I was looking for audio equipment in the fall of '99 and stumbled across RR.

This sounds about right for me also.

Dave_G
05-27-2005, 06:31 AM
I think me and 'ol Troy and Javier and a few others been here since way back when, hell, I can't remember.

Remember tj? I heard from him the other day, he is doing good.

Dave

BarryL
05-27-2005, 07:24 AM
Reading the thread below ( letter for Eric) i thought of asking this to all of you.
Been around since 1997 so that makes 8 years I started reading the long discussions on the general and speaker forums,some day I discovered RR and since then is the forum I come by and ocasionally jump for other forums in search of especific ansewrs.

Probably since about 1998 or 1999. I knew Demetrio before he was a prog star, but still had the biggest collection of Italian prog in the Americas.

Troy
05-27-2005, 08:34 AM
Yeah, like 98 or 99 for me too. I discovered this place when I was trying to find info about the very first consumer level computer CD burners.

-Jar-
05-27-2005, 09:31 AM
5 or 6 years.. came here looking for info on an amp.. bought an Arcam. Started reading Rave Recs sometime in 2000.. pretty much after 2001 never really visited any other areas on this site. Kind of stuck on this place.

-jar

Jim Clark
05-27-2005, 10:32 AM
I feel the same way.

That one is going to have me laughing like a mad scientist the rest of the day. Thank you.

jc

Swish
05-27-2005, 10:32 AM
I found some e-mail that I printed in 2001 that contains some of your names and addresses that I keep in a paper file to make it easier to distribute comps. I know I was on the board for quite some time before becoming involved with comps, so I'd guess early '99 on 2000.

I have names & addys for JC, CC, Davey, Stone, Haoleb (remember him?), Alung, JDaniel, je-ski-buff, RPM, RL Hunter, Rae, Jar, Nobody, Troy, R.K., Dusty Chalk, beatlebob, Whooptee, Les (from the UK), TodH, JeffH, Mike (how original!), BradH, Demetrio, BradC, Maf, Umrswimr, J, CZ, Audio Girl, Snowbuns, and YECH of course.

Many of them are still around, but many are gone.I had forgotten some of those and had to dig thru my file to find them.

Swish Baby (Baby was added by Rae one time for no apparent reason)

jasn
05-27-2005, 11:02 AM
I crawled back to find an AR review I posted back in February 1999. I'm sure I was finding RR at the same time, even if I have posted only in occasional spurts (like today).

I can also recall many of the names Swish pulled out.

Ex Lion Tamer
05-27-2005, 11:19 AM
I'd guess around 1999. I'm sure it was an equipment related issue that brought me here, but I can't say exactly what the issue was. I do remember the first thread I started was asking to be brought up to speed about new indie (what I knew as "alternative") music and among others, Davey gave me a list of like 20 bands most of which are now staples in my listening diet. Heady days of discovery indeed.

Hyfi
05-27-2005, 12:36 PM
I came here while Dusty and Yech were busy having their Flame War inside of everyones posts.....I'm guessing close to 5 years. Time is passing way too quickly for sure. Spent 8 months prior to that arguing about Cables on the other forum here.

-Jar-
05-27-2005, 02:02 PM
I found some e-mail that I printed in 2001 that contains some of your names and addresses that I keep in a paper file to make it easier to distribute comps. I know I was on the board for quite some time before becoming involved with comps, so I'd guess early '99 on 2000.

I have names & addys for JC, CC, Davey, Stone, Haoleb (remember him?), Alung, JDaniel, je-ski-buff, RPM, RL Hunter, Rae, Jar, Nobody, Troy, R.K., Dusty Chalk, beatlebob, Whooptee, Les (from the UK), TodH, JeffH, Mike (how original!), BradH, Demetrio, BradC, Maf, Umrswimr, J, CZ, Audio Girl, Snowbuns, and YECH of course.

Many of them are still around, but many are gone.I had forgotten some of those and had to dig thru my file to find them.

Those Scout Radio comps are among the first I received. Nice stuff.

BarryL
05-27-2005, 02:07 PM
Yeah, like 98 or 99 for me too. I discovered this place when I was trying to find info about the very first consumer level computer CD burners.

Well, not really. But I had been disassociated from prog for so long and finally had internet access, and was playing around to see if any of those great bands from the 70s had done anything in the past 20 years. So I googled Triumvirat, and was led to a post on this board where people were talking about the band's music. How cool is that, I thought, and the rest is history. Actually, I've never even visited any other boards on AR, except once when my posts went missing about six months ago.

Swish
05-27-2005, 02:44 PM
Those Scout Radio comps are among the first I received. Nice stuff.

You know that I didn't actually make those? They were done by a college dj out in Seattle or something. I haven't played those in years. Thanks for the reminder.

Swish

P.S. How you doin? I don't recall seeing many posts from you of late. I guess with the fairly new house and family and all, you must be a bit busy, eh Jar?

JDaniel
05-27-2005, 07:32 PM
I started looking for my first HT receiver in 2000, and stumbled on AR's reviews. I stayed mostly in the Gen. and HT forums for 6 months or so. I finally ventured into RR one day, musically ignorant after about a 10 year layoff of music (due to kids, real jobs etc...). Now, thanks to you guys (damn you all), I know have over 1,000 cds and about 600 LPs. Music is a major part of my life, as it was when I was young. My first comp came from 3LB, and another shortly thereafter from Jar. Since then, I think I've gotten at least one from everybody who's ever contributed here. I've probably rec'd 100+ over the years. I've tried to offer up my own from time to time as well.

I still enjoy this place immensly, and the friendships I've made here. But I'm not sure we'll ever reach the crescendo that was RR about 3 or 4 years ago. I stayed on all the time just to keep up with the posts. The occasional flame war was entertaining (usually). Life is just too busy for me to keep up that on-line pace anyway.

But I do know this community is just that - a community. We've celebrated/shared/lamented together new jobs, new houses, moves to different states, people going back to school, birth announcements, sons headed off to war, 9-11 and what that meant to each of us, etc.. and I could go on and on. I've rec'd Christmas cards from many of you. I rec'd phonecalls after last year's hurricane to see if I was OK. That's not a clique. That's community in it's purest sense. If it turns out that the same old 24 of us hang out here after 5 years, so be it. But like you all, I know we welcome new members. I was one of those newbies at one time.

Enough reminiscing.

JDaniel

Dusty Chalk
05-27-2005, 09:35 PM
Two thousand something. Maybe one. I dunno. Who cares?

Davey
05-28-2005, 10:29 AM
For me it was around the end of 1999. I remember because I had just discovered Audio Asylum and had been posting some on the boards and someone mentioned it was started by exiles from this site so I stopped by and didn't care much for the mess in the equipment boards which is why they left, but was intrigued by some of the threads going in Rave Recs, so got into a fun exchange of ideas with chrisnz after asking what people thought were the best albums of the year, and discovered a whole new world. And Troy came along and made us all crack-up with a list of fictitious bands and funny titles to poke fun at some of the obscure names Chris and I were throwing back and forth. nd everyone seemed so nice. Sold me on the place :)

I just pulled this post below from the 2003 archive about favorite RR discoveries....
http://forums14.consumerreview.com/10/0EF97094.php

I'll just list five that I first heard about on this board and that led to at least one CD purchase ....

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy
I already had albums by Will Oldham under Palace Music but didn't know of his new moniker until chrisnz pointed me in the right direction when I first came around this site at the end of 1999 with a rec for I See A Darkness and it quickly became a big favorite

Joe Henry
Same story as above I think, except it was a big rec from chrisnz for the Fuse album on his best of the year list and I have at least three or four Joe Henry albums now

Neko Case
Good ol' John (aka Whooptee) named Furnace Room Lullaby one of his top albums of the year in 2000 so I had to check it out and now she is one of my favorites too with three albums in my collection

Unwound
John also recommended the last Unwound album, Leaves Turn Inside You, and it became a big favorite as well

Bailter Space
Cornelius (cc) told me about these guys that had been a big influence on his musical career and I picked up the Aim EP and then he put out his highly acclaimed Science of the Sun: An Introduction to Bailter Space comp and turned lots of people onto them around here - one of the many great comps listed at the "old" comp4trade which is archived at http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/comp4trade.jpg

I could go on and on for about half a day and probably list recs I love from about 20 people, some of which I might even like more than the ones above, but you asked for five and those are the first five that came to me right now :-)

Dave918
05-30-2005, 06:26 PM
Joined June of 2004. Third post on AR, first in RR.

Do belive I know a few of the folks hanging out here, which makes it look very interesting ;)

-dave

ForeverAutumn
05-31-2005, 05:26 AM

Do belive I know a few of the folks hanging out here, which makes it look very interesting ;)

-dave

I guess it's my turn to welcome you! :)

This is a great site Dave. Friendly people and lots of great music being introduced around. I think that you'll find it equally interesting here. Stick around for a while. The water's fine.

Dave918
05-31-2005, 05:35 AM
Thanks ForeverAutumn!

-dave

shokhead
05-31-2005, 05:55 AM
That one is going to have me laughing like a mad scientist the rest of the day. Thank you.

jc

Done yet? :D

MasterCylinder
05-31-2005, 11:44 AM
Early 1998.

The first discussion I had at this board was with Dave G.

We probably talked about YES for days.

I still think the major change in format a few years back dang-near killed this place............it used to be very much more active in the old days.

Haoleb
08-24-2006, 02:30 PM

Im still here :) I dont visit much though anymore. Your name rings a bell, Didnt you send me a pink floyd album?

3-LockBox
08-24-2006, 04:23 PM
Well...since around 98 to 99, though moslty on the general board watching DBT fights breakout and having resident know-it-all martycrafts crap on everyone's threads. I used to Todd, then TA...then I settled on a moniker (3LB). So I wasn't a true regular until around 2001 as 3LockBox.

3-LockBox
08-24-2006, 04:29 PM

-dave

I know you! Yer one of them AK trouble makers aintcha?

Small world isn't it? Don't be a stranger...but keep an eye out for some of these other posters around here :skep:

3-LockBox
08-24-2006, 04:36 PM
My first comp came from 3LB

and you stuck around anyway, huh?

Ahhh, fall is just around the corner...you know what means.

Rocky Top time

GO VOLS!

Swish
08-24-2006, 05:34 PM
Im still here :) I dont visit much though anymore. Your name rings a bell, Didnt you send me a pink floyd album?

...although I can't say for sure. If you remember, and ever played the dang thing, then I suppose I did.

So, how have you been?

Swish

audiobill
08-24-2006, 08:02 PM
2002ish if I recall right.

Davey, who was then called something else, first welcomed me & the others took pity.

-Jar-
08-25-2006, 09:35 AM
...although I can't say for sure. If you remember, and ever played the dang thing, then I suppose I did.

So, how have you been?

Swish

I got one, I remember the disc was purple.

I remember the stupidest things.

I liked those black cd-r's that ex-lion-tamer used to send. those were cool.

Swish
08-25-2006, 10:26 AM
I got one, I remember the disc was purple.

I remember the stupidest things.

I liked those black cd-r's that ex-lion-tamer used to send. those were cool.

..in the slim cases. Some were green, some purple, some blue. I haven't bought those in years. I usually get the of 100 from Best Buy and I get free slim cases from a friend who gets them at work. They have tons of them and toss them out, so he grabbed me a nice big bunch. You gotta love it. If it's free it's for me.

Oh yeah, that is a pretty stupid thing to remember. :-)

Swish

Swish
08-25-2006, 10:28 AM
2002ish if I recall right.

Davey, who was then called something else, first welcomed me & the others took pity.

Swish

GMichael
08-25-2006, 10:30 AM
I just lurk here on RR. I read what you guys/gals write. Don't know what you're talking about, so I don't post.

Swish
08-25-2006, 10:30 AM
We probably talked about YES for days.

I still think that prog dang-near killed this place............it used to be very much more active in the old days.

Swish

skewiff
08-27-2006, 02:05 PM
I've been here close to 7 years now, don't post much anymore. Still check it out at least twice a day.

Received some awesome comps along the way, I always thought the comp. making was the highlight of this board.

Miss it.

Tony

ForeverAutumn
08-27-2006, 05:26 PM
Don't know what you're talking about, so I don't post.

That's never stopped you before. :p

GMichael
08-27-2006, 05:35 PM
That's never stopped you before. :p

How about, "I don't know most of you well enough to insult you with my sick humour."

unleasHell
08-28-2006, 06:05 PM
I don't recall when I stumbled in here, 8 years ago sounds about right, but I do remember my first post, you see I had only lurked a short time and saw a big-mouth trouble maker, who even though is now banned from here still lurks and makes references on the R-Road...

and my simple question was:

Who here is waiting for Y*** to say something brilliant?

anyone remember that?

made a lot of friends here, got a lot of cool cds...

JimC has been my best contact, he is a great guy!