Are Sherwin Vega Speakers good? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Are Sherwin Vega Speakers good?

Groundbeef
05-26-2005, 12:52 PM
Looking for some mid priced speakers to bring my HT to life. I currently own some older Marantz SP1515 for the front, but the rear speakers are crap. I need to get a center channel, 2 rears and possibly a sub, although I am not sure about that. For cost purposes I may just rely on my 2 front speakers as they have 15" cones and can handle bass for the time being. I would like to spend about $600-700. I am not partial to any brand, and have not come under the "Bose is best" spell. Thanks for any help!

RGA
05-26-2005, 01:37 PM
Without knowing what you;re after ifit's music mostly -- then take the UHF hi-fi course -- do NOT take it as gospel but it can help you out. http://www.uhfmag.com/book1.html
If you are interested in music and are looking to get a system read this approach to listening http://www.audionote.co.uk/anp1.htm

jasmit
05-26-2005, 01:49 PM
The conventional wisdom is that in an HT setup your mains and your center need to be timbre matched in order to have a seamless soundstage. I'm not familiar with your Marantz speakers but if they have 15" woofers, they are no doubt floorstanders and would probably not serve well as rears.

IMO, here's what you need to do: Unless you can find a center channel speaker to match the Marantz speakers, sell them and look for mains and a center that match (same brand, same series). If budget is a consideration, keep the "crap" rears that you have now and let them serve a little while longer; not much information is carried by the rears anyway. If your budget allows, you should buy the whole 5.1 set-up.

You didn't say what your budget is, so it's a little hard to recommend specific speakers. There are a number of brands which have wide ranging price points: B&W, Paradigm, Polk, PSB, etc. There are also a number of well-recommended Internet brands: Ascend, Axiom, etc. Furnish your budget and some of your preferences, e.g., bookshelf vs. floorstanders, etc., and I'm sure you'll get some specific recommendations. Same for a sub -- folks will need a budget in order to make recommendations.

In the meantime, spend some time reading this and other audio fora. Ultimately you'll need to get out and do some auditioning.

Geoffcin
05-26-2005, 02:16 PM
Looking for some mid priced speakers to bring my HT to life. I currently own some older Marantz SP1515 for the front, but the rear speakers are crap. I need to get a center channel, 2 rears and possibly a sub, although I am not sure about that. For cost purposes I may just rely on my 2 front speakers as they have 15" cones and can handle bass for the time being. I would like to spend about $600-700. I am not partial to any brand, and have not come under the "Bose is best" spell. Thanks for any help!

Your best bet to getting a good Home Theater is to spend your money first on a Center Channel speaker. Fully 80% of the dialog of movies is through the center speaker. Get the best, and largest one you can afford. I use a Cambridge Soundworks MC500, and it is a very powerful, and well made unit. It is also not very expensive. You can also find the refurbs on Ebay being sold by Cambridge Soundworks for a really great price.

You can keep your main speakers, but do not expect them to act as a sub no matter how big the woofers. Unless you add a seperate amp for the LFE track, your main speakers will just be mains. A powered sub will make a large difference, even if your speakers are full range. You can get a good 12" sub in the $350 dollar range. Several companies make them.

N. Abstentia
05-26-2005, 06:50 PM
.....and it's 'Cerwin Vega'....not 'Sherwin' :)

yogo
05-26-2005, 08:58 PM
thought it might by a new Jewish speaker co.

"Sherwin Vega Speakers.... Oy Vey! They sound so good."

Hmmm, mebbe I'm on to something here....

N. Abstentia
05-27-2005, 06:29 AM
.....that's not kosher....

Florian
05-27-2005, 06:42 AM
thought it might by a new Jewish speaker co.

"Sherwin Vega Speakers.... Oy Vey! They sound so good."

Hmmm, mebbe I'm on to something here....
While the humor is quite black, its still funny.

royphil345
06-06-2005, 05:11 AM
Both the Classic and V Series speakers Cerwin Vega has out now sound very good to me.
Both are very efficient and have high power handling. Seems their quality is up a bit and prices have dropped some also. Might be something to look at for someone on a budget who prefers towers or wants something that will play loud..

CerwinVega
06-08-2005, 09:28 AM
Cerwin Vega speakers are not the company they used to be as they are taken over by another company named Stanton which took place about 3 years ago. Another example I can tell is that I have the V-12F's which are part of their newer line and the speaker had to be shipped to their warehouse for service almost 2 months ago and it's still not here yet which is very poor customer service.

royphil345
06-08-2005, 01:50 PM
Sorry to hear that. That is a long time!!!

Did you like the sound of the V-12F after owning them awhile? (while they were working anyway) What happened to them? Just curious...

CerwinVega
06-09-2005, 07:03 AM
I like the V-12F's in every way and I"m glad that this model (as it turned out) was actually the last model CV made before taken over by these idiots who obviously dont know what they are doing because this is probably the last time I buy from them unless they can make a comeback. Also, I found out last night that my package is actually in the hands of UPS as I used the tracking number and SHOULD LOL be here today. When it does come I might celebrate with a cigar who knows LOL. So basically that's why I"m here to give advice as it seems it hasnt been posted on here yet and I would want somebody to give me a heads up on what to expect from Cerwin Vega now.