Is SACD for 2 channel? I'm confused. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is SACD for 2 channel? I'm confused.

m500
05-25-2005, 05:54 AM
I'm getting confused with DVD Audio and Super Audio CD. I want to try out SACD but don't know if I need to upgrade my equipment or not. Currently I'm running all my SOURCE unit thru NAD C352 which is a STEREO Integrated Amplifier. I don't planning on changing my system to multiChannel. Please let me know if SACD is for 2 channel or not, thanks.

shokhead
05-25-2005, 06:03 AM
Yes,2 ch also.

N. Abstentia
05-25-2005, 06:39 AM
Yes you're good to go. Many SACD's are stereo only, and the multichannel SACD's can be downmixed to 2 channel.

Keep in mind you do need an SACD player.

shokhead
05-25-2005, 07:58 AM
Yes you're good to go. Many SACD's are stereo only, and the multichannel SACD's can be downmixed to 2 channel.

Keep in mind you do need an SACD player.

Not if its a hybrid but that wouldnt be Hi Res,right?

Resident Loser
05-25-2005, 09:08 AM
...you might wanna' check here:

http://www.sonymusic.com/sacd/faq/index.html

jimHJJ(...FWIW...)

Feanor
05-25-2005, 04:05 PM
...Please let me know if SACD is for 2 channel or not, thanks.
SACD disks generally contain multiple "layers". Virtually all recent SACDs contain:

a high-resolution multi-channel layer -- this can be three, four, or five channels, (the fifth being a subwoofer channel),
a high-resolution 2-channel, (stereo), layer, and
a standard CD stereo layer.
A disc that has the last, CD layer is referred to as "hybrid" because it can be played on a standard CD player. Of course, the first two layers require an SACD player.

Hybrid discs with only stereo hi-rez and CD are pretty common, especially for re-masters of old recordings. Early discs sometimes had no CD layer and had only hi-rez stereo. However I'm not aware of any SACD that has only a hi-rez multi-channel layer -- if they exist, they are most rare.

Feanor
05-26-2005, 04:58 AM
SACD disks generally contain multiple "layers". Virtually all recent SACDs contain:

a high-resolution multi-channel layer -- this can be three, four, or five channels, (the fifth being a subwoofer (#) channel),
A disc that has the last, CD layer is referred to as "hybrid" because it can be played on a standard CD player. Of course, the first two layers require an SACD player.

Hybrid discs with only stereo hi-rez and CD are pretty common, especially for re-masters of old recordings. Early discs sometimes had no CD layer and had only hi-rez stereo. However I'm not aware of any SACD that has only a hi-rez multi-channel layer -- if they exist, they are most rare.
In fact, SACD multi-channel can have six channels with the subwoofer being the sixth.

shokhead
05-26-2005, 05:46 AM

a high-resolution multi-channel layer -- this can be three, four, or five channels, (the fifth being a subwoofer channel),

Must be a reason to hook up 6 analogs. :D

Feanor
05-26-2005, 09:15 AM
Must be a reason to hook up 6 analogs. :D
My mistake which I corrected above. It's true though, that multi-channel recordings don't always have all six tracks.