100 Greatest Movies (according to Time) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 100 Greatest Movies (according to Time)

Kam
05-24-2005, 10:07 AM
So.. yet another list has come out, this time, from Time magazine:

http://www.time.com/time/2005/100movies/

Some good ones, some typical ones, some bad ones, and still plenty i'll have to still check out.

Your King Kong is on there worfster :) (but no jean-claude:( )

peace
k2

Worf101
05-24-2005, 10:54 AM
So.. yet another list has come out, this time, from Time magazine:

http://www.time.com/time/2005/100movies/

Some good ones, some typical ones, some bad ones, and still plenty i'll have to still check out.

Your King Kong is on there worfster :) (but no jean-claude:( )

peace
k2

After looking at this list for about 1/2 an hour I have to say the following:

On list but in God's name why?

1. "Awful Truth" - Lightweight comedy at best but vastly inferior to "The Philadelphia Story". .

2. "Barry Lyndon" - Not even Kubrick's Best

3. "Charade" - Cheesey Star vehicle that pairs as "wheezing" Cary Grant with a "too young for him Audrey Hepburn in this second rate thriller

4. "Finding Nemo" - Are you friggin kiddin' me???

5. "The Fly" (1986) - Interesting choice but not with only 100 spaces to fill.

6. "E. T". - See finding Nemo. I'd take CE3TK over this schmaltz any day.

7. "Manchurian Candidate" - See "The Fly" above.

8. "Miller's Crossing" - Doesn't belong on the same page.

9. "Drunken Master II" - How you can have Jackie Chan on this list and NOT Bruce Lee is amazing to me.

Left off list and can't believe it!!

1. "Gone with the Wind" - Much as I hate it, it belongs here.

2. "Goodbye Mr. Chips" - Superior drama from the '30's.

3. "Mrs. Miniver" - Shocking lack of WWII Movies on this list.

4. "Best Years of Our Lives" - See above.

5. "Platoon" - Wow, no reason for this one not to be here. No Viet Nam Films made it.

6. "Seven Samurai" - You put Jackie Chan on there but not this?

7. "Red River" - You put "The Searchers" on the list but this film's superior.

8. "Apocaplyse Now" - Has to be here, don't understand this.

9." 2001 a Space Oddessy" - Woot da F**k??!!!! Unbelievable.

10. "Radiers of the Lost Ark" - Dump "E.T" and add this one.

I could go on and on but it's pointless. I can only assume they made this list to piss a lot of people off but this makes little sense. I appreciate the "international" flavor of the list and the long overdue recognition of Indian Cinema but man, to do it justice we'd need 500 slots.

Da Worfster :mad:

Worf101
05-24-2005, 11:03 AM
No "Jaws"??? No "American Grafiiti", "Last Picture Show" "Lone Star". "Duck Soup", "Day at the Races". Man what a list...

Da Worfster :confused:

kexodusc
05-24-2005, 11:04 AM
Good lord, either that is one disgustingly weak Top 100, or I have the absolute worst taste in movies.

You mean to tell me they couldn't think of 100 movies better than Unforgiven?

Finding Nemo beat out Snow White, Toy Story, The Little Mermaid Liong King and the Beast, and Jurassic Park?

Guess we're not even trying with these lists anymore.

This just in...Ashlee Simpson makes top 100 albums of all time...

Kam
05-24-2005, 11:30 AM
i always take these with a grain of salt, and given that it is coming from the collective minds of two time magazine critics (both Dick's)..... eh. it's worth its weight. It definitely puts movies on there that are incredibly puzzling without recognizing the originators... like jackie chan without any bruce?... pixar's latest without its first? The Fly without the thing? (either original or remake was better than this) Of all the kurasawa they put Yojimbo and Ikiru?

Definitely not how my 100 would go, but that's what makes 100 "best" films so arbitrary... how do you recognize what's best... either you agree with these guys or don't.. but i definitely know i wont be paying as much attention to Time movie reviews... was reading up on their reviews of what they have on there, and the ones i disagreed with, and eh... not very impressed. most top lists by magazines i rarely agree with 50% of. Entertainment Weekly has had their lists which i really disagreed with.

The AFI lists i liked the most, mainly because they really broke em down, 100 action, 100 horror, 100 comedies, 100 bad guys, 100 good guys, 100 best.

ebert had some lists as well, of the decades, with some good choices, but personally i still agree with scorcese's list of top 10 films of the 90's over any critic's choices. that was a great episode to watch ebert try and cya with scorcese next to him, picking movies ebert gave 2 stars to, hehehe.

20to20K
05-25-2005, 05:52 AM
There are so many bizzare inclusions and ommisions on this list I don't know where
to begin. There was a much more comprehensive list published by the American
Film Institute to commemerate 100 years of film making in 1998. I found that list
to be much more reflective of my own taste...well, at least a lot closer than this
crock. The also had the balls to actually put them in order unlike these Time
sissies. Here's the link for it:

http://www.afi.com/tvevents/100years/movies.aspx

As for the time list...here are my main issues:

Top 10 Exclusions:

The Graduate
Clockwork Orange
Color Purple
Shawshank Redemption
La Dolce Vita
Mean Streets
Dr. Zhivago
Petrified Forest
Touch of Evil
39 Steps(or about a half dozen other Hichcock movies over Notorious or Psycho)

What the...?:

Finding Nemo,
The Fly
Charade

And finally...how dare they combine Godfather 1 and Godfather 2 into one selection?
Those were two uniquely different movies IMO. Just a cheap way to add another
movie to their pathetic list. Check out the AFI list and compare...

shokhead
05-25-2005, 06:03 AM
Any list without GWTW is not worth reading.

paul_pci
05-25-2005, 11:21 AM
The one WTF title that stood out for me was Finding Nemo. My god. And the one title that comes to mind that should be on the list, which I don't think anyone's mentioned yet, is Chaplin's Modern Times. A must see to understand key developments of the 20th century; and plus, it's not as hauntinng as Metropolis.

RGA
05-25-2005, 12:46 PM
The problem with all of these lists is that some films are geared to art house lovers, other films to the average Joe movie goer.

I have argued on forums for a while about film art and film entertainment and if there is only one list then how does one break it down.

A Film like La Grande Illusion (1937) to me is vastly superior to Citizen Kane or Casablanca -- the latter two make lists the former -- some. Then there is Raiders of the Lost Ark which is as entertainment cheese as it gets but IMO the best film of its kind ever made -- so invariably with only 100 slots what makes the list. Someone here as already kind of blasted E.T. for making the list -- it would make mine -- it pays homage to several films like Casablanca but better it to me. E.T. is the best boy and his dog story I have seen...why not make the list -- it evens manages to be impressively directed with camera angles often and mostly always from the kids perspective looking up and out at the world -- small touch done very well.

Ebert's approach makes sense - the great movies -- the first 100 and now he has a second 100. To me the Original Dawn of the Dead is one of the great satires, why is Young Frankenstein and The Producers not there -- comedy is often left out or only silent film comedy which is fantastic as "history" but doesn't hold up as well today -- see "I love Lucy and the Honeymooners"

Some lists are about the film makig process "Citizen Kane" and understandably makes many lists. To me though entertainments should be there -- Star Wars always makes the list -- but most everyone I know prefers The Empire Strikes Back -- why not at least be "together" the way the two Godfathers are joined?

Speaking of the Godfatther -- to me Cabaret was a better movie -- and The Conversation was Coppola's true masterpiece.

81/2 I've seen twice -- so freaking what?

dean_martin
05-25-2005, 08:15 PM
81/2 I've seen twice -- so freaking what?

I have to disagree with you on 8 1/2. It draws me in like a good AN system does with music! I think it's better than La Dolce Vita. I have the same response with Touch of Evil as compared to Citizen Kane.

Although I agree with the numerous glaring omissions noted by all, I was surprised with 2 Sergio Leone films being listed. Both are westerns and both are extremely deserving, IMO. But most "list-makers" would probably pick one and leave the other off.

I would like to see Tod Browning's "Freaks" get a little more recognition for it's controversial subject matter and its inspiration for many indie film makers of the modern era. I think I can count on one hand the good indie films that DON'T have a character suffering from some kind of physical deformity.

I also think that City of God was a band-wagon or trendy pick. I've seen it twice recently and I agree that it's an excellent film. I also like the realistic film making style. The story was interesting, but a little stereotypical in spots. It's one of the better recent films I've seen, but I just don't think it belongs in a top 100 list.

RGA
05-25-2005, 09:10 PM
Wll there seems to be a:

It makes the list because it was a pivotal moment in film history or did something for the movie making process -- alla Casablanca or Star Wars (really it isn't that great a film with rather silly dialog - kudos to Harrison Ford for turning some real clunky dialog into something tongue in cheek -- something the new films lack).

I just don't see how anyone can really compare most films and this goes for the Academy Awards which is just a popularity contest.

I mean really how the hell do we compare a Raiders of the Lost Ark a pure popcorn entertainment to say "The War Zone?" One film is about a larger than life renaissance man battleing the Nazi's to get some mystical Ark out of Hitler's hands --- a pure impossible fiction. The other is about a family dealing with incest. WTF??? Both are about as well done as the story can hold. Then add in goof-ball films like Young Frankenstein -- which is still the most truthful to the spirit of the book of all the films done on it.

I also think the period the film was in should stay there -- ie a best of 1990s a best of 1930s -- Very few to almost no silent film holds up well by today;s technical standards -- Citizen kane is drooled over for its IMPACT on film making but really compared to Pulp Fiction or Schindler' List(which from a cinemetography perspective is about as good as film gets) it is anhialted in every visual way -- In Fact some scenes in Kane are completely distracting from the event rather than enhance them

I've avoided Fellini as 81/2 was the first I saw and it didn't impress me -- it just doesn't have "real" substance and every single review skirts the plot or the point of what comes across to me as self-indulgent tripe by the director.

Of course maybe this is why I should not be a critic because my list would have Dawn of the Dead and the original Terminator film on it and it would not have Citizen Kane, Casablanca, 81/2 among some others. My list is more front loaded from the 1960s to now. And my top ten has 3 Spielberg films and 2 Kubrick films, a Tarantino, Scorcese, Renoir, Kirosawa and MEL BROOKS. So that probably knocks my list of the art house group.

dean_martin
05-26-2005, 10:17 AM
I also think the period the film was in should stay there -- ie a best of 1990s a best of 1930s -- Very few to almost no silent film holds up well by today;s technical standards

I agree with you as a general rule, but I immediately thought of the similarities I see in Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and many of Tim Burton's films - the angularity of set pieces is an example.

RGA
05-26-2005, 01:54 PM
Well it's funny a lot of people dislike Spielberg and yet he's lifted from all the greats ditto for Tarantino. it's not unlike a new singer singing an old song -- if you do it better then I have no problem with it. I made an error only 2 Spielberg film are in my top ten Schindler's and one of (jaws, Raiders, ET) which seem to cycle through as my mood changes. That;s the other thing -- why be locked into what's best.

Frankly the TV film Death of a Salesman with Dustin Hoffman deals along the American Dream lines of Citizen Kane -- Death of a Salesman was visually very well done mixing stage play with film -- thematically it was more resonant to me as well.

The Terminator I justify as a romance film which is why it's in my top 100 incidentally.

eisforelectronic
05-27-2005, 02:05 AM
"True Romance" is my favorite romantic movie

Kam
05-27-2005, 05:44 AM
"True Romance" is my favorite romantic movie

Aliens is my favorite romantic comedy.

pulsar19
06-16-2005, 07:20 PM
Including "Hard Days Night" and "Pulp Fiction" in a list
like this speaks for itself...HAHAHAHA!!!!!!
What a joke!!!!! :D

daigoro
06-25-2005, 02:22 PM
I don't profess to be the final authority on all film, but that is one of the worst lists I've seen. I tried taking away all the movies that would not be on my top 100 and was left with 17 flicks:

* Blade Runner (1982)
* Dr. Strangelove: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
* The Godfather, Parts I and II (1972, 1974)
* The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (1966)
* Goodfellas (1990)
* Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
* The Lord of the Rings (2001-03)
* Miller's Crossing (1990)
* On the Waterfront (1954)
* Psycho (1960)
* Pulp Fiction (1994)
* Raging Bull (1980)
* Schindler's List (1993)
* Star Wars (1977)
* Taxi Driver (1976)
* Unforgiven (1992)
* Yojimbo (1961)

RGA
06-25-2005, 04:33 PM
Pulp Fiction was on my list - it was number 2 of the ten best films of the 1990s -- it is one of the best films about redemption constructed and housed in homage filled and damn darkly funny film. Individual scenes are constructed so brilliantly that I'd want to see an entuire movie built from those individual scenes -- in fact the Kill Bill films may as well have spawned from the Fox Force Five sequence in Pulp Fiction -- the failed Pilot managed two feature films after all. As an excericise in story telling the film is about as good as film gets.

Pulp Fiction is way smarter than it appears to be on the surface -- And now 11 years later despite its wannabe copycats remains the best of this strange sub-genre.

kingcrim05
07-01-2005, 10:00 AM
How can you knock Pulp Fiction?

One of my all-time favorites.....

agtpunx40
07-03-2005, 01:23 PM
No need to repeat what other people were saying, but I'm kindof surprised that noone has mentioned the omission of Blue Velvet. I guess its a love it or hate it sort of movie, I would definatly put it in a top 100 list.

dean_martin
07-03-2005, 04:18 PM
No need to repeat what other people were saying, but I'm kindof surprised that noone has mentioned the omission of Blue Velvet. I guess its a love it or hate it sort of movie, I would definatly put it in a top 100 list.

PABST...BLUE...RIBBON!!!