Long live Be Bop Deluxe! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Long live Be Bop Deluxe!

Davey
05-23-2005, 09:33 PM
Whether you like that early Be Bop Deluxe sound and Bill Nelson's guitar showmanship and sci-fi themes, which I do and always did, especially that fantastic Live! In The Air Age that showcased everything great about the band and their songs, or whether you think it's just a glam heavy Bowie rip with no soul and a thankfully short life, you can't help but love the way Michael Mikesell finishes off his reissue review in today's PopMatters if you care about sound quality even just a smidgen....

"While none of this material has been remastered, that's as much a blessing as a form of sonic damnation: on the one hand, we don't benefit from the quality of the latest analog-to-digital converters. On the other hand, neither must we suffer through the egregious dynamic compression and peak limiting to which most albums (reissues and new releases alike) are now subjected. Apart from that first single, these were all well-produced tracks, and their native quality is evident, even if the disc(s) can't hold a candle to the UK or US LPs."

http://www.popmatters.com/music/reviews/b/bebopdeluxe-postcards2004.shtml

Hats off Mike!

http://350unce.com/smilies%202/hatsoff.gif

BarryL
05-24-2005, 07:53 AM
Sunburst Finish is killer IMO. I give him credit for knowing when to quit. BBD ran out of steam from a song-writing perspective, and he took himself solo to pursue a new direction.

Recently picked up Drastic Plastic on CD. I also have white vinyl.

Troy
05-24-2005, 08:01 AM
One of my favorite bands from the era. Kicks Bowie's butt around the block IMO.

I made a BBD comp based on my early EMI import CDs and sent copies around to mostly indifference and a few "I don't dig this at all" comments.

Great to see these albums finally being rereleased on CD. There was a 4 or 5 album run that was really great art-pop/glam-prog.

ForeverAutumn
05-24-2005, 09:57 AM
One of my favorite bands from the era. Kicks Bowie's butt around the block IMO.

I made a BBD comp based on my early EMI import CDs and sent copies around to mostly indifference and a few "I don't dig this at all" comments.

Great to see these albums finally being rereleased on CD. There was a 4 or 5 album run that was really great art-pop/glam-prog.

I was one of the lucky recipients of this comp and I love it!!! I haven't listened to it in a bit but it was in regular rotation for quite a while. Hmmmm. I think I'll pull it out and put in on deck for a spin right after the new Mercury Rev that I'm spinning right now.