upgrading speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : upgrading speakers

Naam
05-23-2005, 07:27 PM
I've $3000 Can. to spend on used speakers. presently I own B&W802 (for 12 years), every time I've listend to others with-in my listening space Ive gone back to the 802s. Do to my room off 12' x 17.5' and to avoid a suck out @ 50hz, I fire them across the width. Whatever speaker I purchase can not be rear ported and must be good at nearfield listening. Would anyone recomend Galo Ref.3 or VR4-JR; these two I have no access to for listening but I am drawn to by the "profesional" reviews. Any other suggestions eccept brushing up on my english.
please check out my profile to review the components .
Thanks for your views
ross

RGA
05-23-2005, 09:07 PM
Why no rear porting? Some rear ported speakers work close to walls. $3k where are you in Canada? What is it about the 802 that you don't like?

Everything gets great reviews but no gaurantee you will like them -- I find most stuff annoying and yet most stuff gets raves???

I would only buy speakers you can listen to first.

Peter Duminy
05-23-2005, 09:38 PM
I wouldn't be too impressed with "Pro" reviews. Trust your own hearing above all. If you still like your 802's why not just keep them? :)

theaudiohobby
05-24-2005, 02:56 AM
I've $3000 Can. to spend on used speakers. presently I own B&W802 (for 12 years), every time I've listend to others with-in my listening space Ive gone back to the 802s. Do to my room off 12' x 17.5' and to avoid a suck out @ 50hz, I fire them across the width. Whatever speaker I purchase can not be rear ported and must be good at nearfield listening. Would anyone recomend Galo Ref.3 or VR4-JR; these two I have no access to for listening but I am drawn to by the "profesional" reviews. Any other suggestions eccept brushing up on my english.
Thanks for your views
ross

If you do not have access to the other speakers, I will counsel that you to keep the speakers you already have, moreso since you have heard some other speakers in your listening space and still preferred the N802, I have heard the Galos Ref 3 with much the same amplification and I much prefer the N802. If you simply want a change, I will suggest that you visit your local dealer and check out the new Diamond Series, either the 802D or 803D (less $$$$) will fit the bill.

Geoffcin
05-24-2005, 05:32 PM
Thanks for your views
ross
For wide dispersion at close "nearfield" distance it's going to be hard to beat the Gallo. The tweeter they use has a flat response over a 300 degree dispersion angle, and the midrange is great off axis too. The woofer fires sideways, so you will not have any problem there either. The VR4-jr your going to want to be back from at least 8 ft, and it's also got a much deeper profile. While I can recommend both, I bought the Gallos!

Geoffcin
05-24-2005, 05:47 PM
If you do not have access to the other speakers, I will counsel that you to keep the speakers you already have, moreso since you have heard some other speakers in your listening space and still preferred the N802, I have heard the Galos Ref 3 with much the same amplification and I much prefer the N802. If you simply want a change, I will suggest that you visit your local dealer and check out the new Diamond Series, either the 802D or 803D (less $$$$) will fit the bill.

One is a $2600 over achiever, the other is a $6000 speaker (I believe that's each!)

Naam
05-24-2005, 06:56 PM
Just got back from a long days work. To all of you who responded to my posting, thanks.
What I don't like about my beloved B&W802s is: I've had them for 12 or more years and it"s time for someone else to get to enjoy them; also ,even though how low the bass might go for me is not a major issue do to set up limitations, the quality could use some improvement. The treble can be somewhat bothersome , but remember they are minor especially with the latest incarnation of electronic components.
Maybe it is wrong for me to assume that after all these years the technoligy should have improved enough by now that these new designs have answered these problems. Are not things to improve over time? So I am fool.
I will be hearing the Galo Ref 3 in my system soon, but I have no expectations due to the fact I have listened to the Galo Nucleus ref. a year ago and found they did not work well within my room, due to what I presumed was a rear port problem.
If I had the cash I would listen to the new 802s but I don't. So are there any other recomendations within the $
3000 TO $4000 Can. price range for any new desegns of the last two years.
Sorry for being longwinded
Ross