Upgrading a turntable [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading a turntable

nightflier
05-23-2005, 02:43 PM
I've been reading the last few posts and I also have a my own post that I started about recording old LP's to CD. I followed many of the suggestions, and have the process down pretty well (record to CD-RW, take to computer, edit, and burn). But the editing part is the most tedious. So I was wondering if I could do somethings to improve the initial recording to CD-RW.

My setup:

- HK3480 receiver with phono input
- Older Fisher brand turntable (decent consumer quality table)
- Sony CD Recorder (bought on eBay for $20, so not hi-fi either)

The whole system is connected to a Monster power conditioner and I'm using above average AQ cables to connect everything.

Is there something I could insert between the table and receiver that would help filter out a lot of the static, pops, and hum? On a previous post, someone asked whether adding a phono preamp would help, but it didn't seem from the responses that this was so. I don't really want to spend a lot on a better cartridge because the records and final CD's are not expected to be high-quality, but I would just like to make the process easier for me (I've got a lot of records to go). I'm cleaning the LP's as best I can, but it's not helping much.

Any other suggestions?

nightflier
05-27-2005, 03:32 PM
Can anyone answer these questions:

Is a phono preamp capable of improving sound quality between a TT and receiver/preamp?

If it is, what should one be listening for?

I plugged a Parasound preamp in for my father's setup a year ago and I was sure it improved the overall sound, but after taking it home to my own system (dad is on vacation), it did very little. Now I'm thinking that it may have been my upgrade-itis that was hearing the difference...

nickelrocket
05-27-2005, 06:16 PM
I've been reading the last few posts and I also have a my own post that I started about recording old LP's to CD. I followed many of the suggestions, and have the process down pretty well (record to CD-RW, take to computer, edit, and burn). But the editing part is the most tedious. So I was wondering if I could do somethings to improve the initial recording to CD-RW.

Is there something I could insert between the table and receiver that would help filter out a lot of the static, pops, and hum? On a previous post, someone asked whether adding a phono preamp would help, but it didn't seem from the responses that this was so. I don't really want to spend a lot on a better cartridge because the records and final CD's are not expected to be high-quality, but I would just like to make the process easier for me (I've got a lot of records to go). I'm cleaning the LP's as best I can, but it's not helping much.

Any other suggestions?

I've been thinking about getting DAK's (Remember them? They used to advertise a lot in Stereo Review) set-up for doing what you describe, except you go right to your computer from a box between your turntable and computer. It has all the hardware and software you need to do this and it only costs about $70. It's at http://www.dak2000.com/reviews/2020story.cfm?GLPim . It seems like the easy way to do all you want to do. I'm also considering getting a Nagaoka record cleaner off ebay to pull the crud out of the record grooves. It works like a lint roller -- if these things actually work it would seem to be the best possible way to really clean your records. Also, I've seen reviews that say Grado cartridges don't seem to transmit the surface crud noise as much as other cartridges (but I've also seen a review that says the opposite). Maybe someone else has suggestions on cartridges that are better for this.

nickelrocket
05-27-2005, 08:08 PM
Can anyone answer these questions:

Is a phono preamp capable of improving sound quality between a TT and receiver/preamp?

If it is, what should one be listening for?

I plugged a Parasound preamp in for my father's setup a year ago and I was sure it improved the overall sound, but after taking it home to my own system (dad is on vacation), it did very little. Now I'm thinking that it may have been my upgrade-itis that was hearing the difference...

There's a cheap phono preamp selling out of www.edsaunders.com on ebay for $14.95. No idea who makes it.

nobody
05-28-2005, 10:41 AM
Dbx used to sell pop and click reducers for turntables, but you have to hunt for one used now. Ebay usually has some. Otherwise, record to CD, transfer to your computer and download some software like Goldwave with a pop and click reducer and try that. It works OK as long as the problems are not severe, in which case you have to turn it up so much to get rid of the pops and clicks that you end up screwing up the music too.