New stuff! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New stuff!

dean_martin
05-23-2005, 01:53 PM
Although the internet is great for ordering new vinyl, the city I used to live in while going to school does have an independent record store and I became friends with the owner. (I had tons more time to hang out when I was student, but no money.) So, even though I've moved I still like to give him some business. A couple of weeks ago I asked him to order Arcade Fire's Funeral and Death Cab for Cutie's Transatlanticism on vinyl. He recommended The Coma's Conductor on cd, which comes with a dvd, so I agreed. I picked them up today!

I can't wait to listen to the Death Cab for Cutie 180g double album tonight. I've been listening to several tracks off Transatlanticism in my car over the last few weeks. A couple of the songs seem to be permanently implanted in my brain. I think it's going to be one of my top albums for the first half of this decade. I've only heard one track off Funeral and I'm not sure what to expect from the Coma's Conductor.

Jim Clark
05-23-2005, 02:35 PM
Dino, I'd guess Arcade Fire will knock your socks off. Given that you've only heard one track I believe you're in for a treat. If you're thrilled with DCC then you would be doing yourself a great disservice to not listen to some samples from the Postal Service. Different, but in a good way. Ben's singing carries me the other way- from Postal Service to DCC so it might work for you to. Never know.

jc

dean_martin
05-24-2005, 10:04 AM
Dino, I'd guess Arcade Fire will knock your socks off. Given that you've only heard one track I believe you're in for a treat. If you're thrilled with DCC then you would be doing yourself a great disservice to not listen to some samples from the Postal Service. Different, but in a good way. Ben's singing carries me the other way- from Postal Service to DCC so it might work for you to. Never know.

jc

JC,

Thanks for the Postal Service rec. I had Expo'86, Transatlanticism, and Lack of Color on a comp. These tunes grew on me. On first listen to the whole album, only one other track immediately reached "favorite" status. I'm thinking that the rest of the album will grow on me too. The double album is done very well.

Funeral is a treat! I had 3 new purchases to check out last night with only about an hour to spend with my system. The track I had heard before is Wake Up. I was able to play side 1 last night and was impressed with what I would describe as its epic scope - almost operatic. Will listen to the whole album, or at least side 2 tonight - haven't even made it to Wake Up yet. (The album's gatefold packaging is cool.)

The Comas have an interesting sound - reminiscent of the more distorted/fuzzed out electric guitar driven Beatles with spacier harmonies. Conductor is released on yep roc records. I'm going to spend a little more time with the cd before watching the dvd. The guy who recommended this said that watching the dvd might change your perception of the music - the light bulb comes on.

Ex Lion Tamer
05-24-2005, 05:19 PM
(The album's gatefold packaging is cool.)

Are you as impressed with the quality of the pressing as I was? It's among the quietest albums I've bought in a long time. Spoon's Gimme Fiction is of similar quality, again as quiet in the groove as anything I've bought recently. Hopefully this high quality indie vinyl is a trend that continues.

Mike
05-25-2005, 03:18 AM
JC,

Thanks for the Postal Service rec. I had Expo'86, Transatlanticism, and Lack of Color on a comp. These tunes grew on me.

If you like DCC and that Postal Service and Notwist sound sound have you heard Styrofoam's Nothings Lost it's pretty good IMO.

Cheers
Mike

dean_martin
05-25-2005, 07:46 PM
Are you as impressed with the quality of the pressing as I was? It's among the quietest albums I've bought in a long time. Spoon's Gimme Fiction is of similar quality, again as quiet in the groove as anything I've bought recently. Hopefully this high quality indie vinyl is a trend that continues.

Yeah - neither Funeral nor Transatlanticism have the snaps,crackles or pops that some of the jazz reissues from Columbia have. I think the Modest Mouse - Good News... was done well too as was the last Pavement album.

I'm about to order the Pixie's Doolittle on vinyl. Have you heard it?