Good fairly recent R&B stuff? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Good fairly recent R&B stuff?

nobody
05-23-2005, 08:59 AM
For a while it seemed like there was quite a bit of good r&b stuff coming out. Lately though, I haven't heard much I've been getting into. I like hip hop, so some hip hop influence is fine, but just wondering if anyone has heard anything goood lately that would be more r&b than hip hop that you're liked.

I will mention that I finally got a copy of the John Legend disc from last year that was produced by Kanye West and its really good. He's got a great voice and the production really walks the line between traditional soul stuff and modern hip hop quite well. An excellent listen for those so inclined.

I'm sure there's tons I've missed lately. Let me know what.

MindGoneHaywire
05-23-2005, 10:01 AM
Darius would be the most qualified to answer this, I'd say. It's not a genre I know much about & it's rare that I hear anything commercial that I like. There are a couple that I thought weren't bad, though...MeShell Ndegeocello's recs are pretty good, for instance. And late last year I heard something by Har Mar Superstar I liked a lot. There's just something about a balding Jewish guy who's trying to sound like Prince...

Oh, yeah--Queen Latifah's The Dana Owens Album isn't bad. Not great though, and I certainly wouldn't pay full price, but surely worth a listen.

jasn
05-23-2005, 11:12 AM
You may want to check out a 2004 self-titled release from multi-instrumentalist Van Hunt. It pulls out a lot of styles from the 70's R&B. It's funky and very well produced, with definate influences from Stevie Wonder, Curtis Mayfiled and Sly Stone. Pretty good reviews around the web too.

Stone
05-23-2005, 11:17 AM
I don't know if you're looking for soul, but the last couple of Solomon Burke records were good.

Mike
05-24-2005, 06:16 AM
They are definitely more modern R&B than hip hop, although personally to me R&B is more old school, but these are pretty good

Angie Stone - Stone Love, features a great earthy production and that sweet but gutsy voice, I think she's one of the finest singers around at the moment in that genre.

Beverley Knight - Affirmation, A UK singer very similar to Angie Stone who has had some success on your side of the pond her last album was pretty good but check out her previous ones too.

Amp Fiddler - Waltz of a Ghetto Fly, he's worked with Maxwell and George Clinton so he's been around for a while, it's a solid album.

Cheers
Mike

Davey
05-24-2005, 08:57 AM
The latest Zap Mama album is pretty hot, as are the last couple, especially A Ma Zone. I know you're a big fan of Eryka Badu, and she's one of the guests on the new one along with some hip-hop luminaries. Eryka and Marie do a great song together called Bandy Bandy that might've been the single. Give it a listen online. Kind of a mix of Afro pop and jazz, but with an increasingly big dollop of contemporary urban R&B and soul and hip-hop on the more recent albums. Always a bunch of nice female vocal harmonizing. In fact, the early albums like Sabsylma were a cappela and quite amazing, with 5 part female harmonizing and pigmy vocals and all kinds of beautiful stuff.

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drg400/g459/g45993vhg2o.jpg

Olivertmc
05-24-2005, 09:27 AM
Ricky Fante - Rewind: Excellent straight ahead r&b. I've been listening to it a lot lately.

newtrix1
05-26-2005, 08:28 AM
Always a bunch of nice female vocal harmonizing. In fact, the early albums like Sabsylma were a cappela and quite amazing, with 5 part female harmonizing and pigmy vocals and all kinds of beautiful stuff.

Would you mind slapping together a pigmy vocal comp? I've always been curious about that genre ;)

Nobody: I just got thru Cee-Lo's latest Cee-lo Green Is the Soul Machine and it could easily satisfy your R&B itch. Very retro 70's soul tinged groovy hip-hop. ($5.99 at YOURMUSIC.com to boot!).

nobody
05-26-2005, 09:00 AM
Already got the Cee Lo, one of my favorites from last year. I had a chance to listen to a few of the other suggestions too. That Har Mar Superstar is a tough one. It sounds quite good actually, but it's hard to take as anything but a joke when you see the guy. Still, some really good music on there. Checked out the Van Hunt, which I like and have always been an Angie Stone fan. I also grabbed something by Rashaan Peterson that's quite good. I like Zap Mama, but still haven't heard that latest one, but its on my list now. I'll try to checl out the rest of the suggestions this weekend.

At least I've got a few choices to grab now. Always appreciate more suggestions to look into.

20to20K
05-26-2005, 01:32 PM
You may want to check out a 2004 self-titled release from multi-instrumentalist Van Hunt. It pulls out a lot of styles from the 70's R&B. It's funky and very well produced, with definate influences from Stevie Wonder, Curtis Mayfiled and Sly Stone. Pretty good reviews around the web too.

Stevie has a new CD coming out shortly that's supposed to be a throwback to his soul
stylings of the 70's. None of that oversynthed, disco and top 40 influenced drival he was making in the 80's and 90's. Real instruments...real issues in his lyrics...and probably stellar sound as his recordings always exibited.

Can't wait!

MindGoneHaywire
05-26-2005, 08:35 PM
Yes! I heard the Stevie tune on his website. Parts of it were hip-hop like. EXCELLENT.

20to20K
05-27-2005, 04:35 AM
Yes! I heard the Stevie tune on his website. Parts of it were hip-hop like. EXCELLENT.

The 'hip-hop" comment worries me. I'm no hip-hop basher...like some of it myself.

But I'd rather hear Stevie do old-school R&B and leave the rap to the rappers...

jasn
05-27-2005, 04:54 AM
The 'hip-hop" comment worries me. I'm no hip-hop basher...like some of it myself.

But I'd rather hear Stevie do old-school R&B and leave the rap to the rappers...
I guess he can rap if he wants, it would probably be funky. I'd worry that he'll try to do duets with other artists, as it seems that's the only way I've been seeing him the past few years.

Stevie and Usher!
Stevie and Janet!
Stevie and 50 Cent!
Stevie and the Boss!
Stevie and Steven Tyler!
Stevie and Carrie Underwood!
Blech!