ok - explain this to as if I'm a moron..... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : ok - explain this to as if I'm a moron.....

spuppy517
05-23-2005, 01:04 AM
because I am.

What is the deal with HDMI? Especially in relation to the next gen DVD formats. I have read serveral posts that made it seem as though this will be the only way to experience the 1080p that Bluray/HD-DVD is promising. Is it just that component cables can't acheive this kind of resolution or am I missing something else? Like I said.... moron :)

More importantly..... am I gonna have to get a new tv since my Toshiba doesn't have a HDMI/DVI input? I mean - I thought these tv's were capable of receiving a hi def signal, so if component cables can't produce that, isn't it false advertising??? Make me understand!

Wireworm5
05-23-2005, 03:01 AM
The topic has been discussed in depth previously on this forum, but I'll give you a brief recap.
It appears that HDMI/HDCP are the same thing. A Copy Protection device that all the new HD units have built into them. For example: on my tv without the HDMI cable or an 1080i source, the tv will default to 480p.
But your one of the lucky ones since you have what I think is an earlier model tv without the HDMI.Your tv should be upscaling the signal to it's native resolution probably 780p simply cause it has to for a HD picture using just component video. I don't know if your tv needs a built in tuner, I don't think so, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

edtyct
05-23-2005, 08:49 AM
HDMI is not the same thing as HDCP, but as of this summer they will be coterminous, if they aren't already. HDMI is a protocol that allows for the transmission of up to eight channels of HD audio, as well as all of our HD video formats. The HDCP aspect of it is meant to guard digital transmission from unauthorized sale, distribution, copy, etc. It is present on a number of DVD players (http:///#) and some other electronics at this point, but its use for audio is almost nonexistent because very few current receivers (http:///#) and processors have HDMI inputs. Most people who use the HDMI inputs on their TVs these days for a DVD (http:///#) player, for instance, still have to run a separate audio feed.

If the HDCP flag on HDMI (or DVI, its video-only predecessor) is enabled on an HDTV broadcast from an STB (it always is enabled on a DVD (http:///#) player with HDMI), then it's a good bet that tranmission over component, which ordinarily would have the requisite bandwidth to carry it, would be downconverted to a non-HD resolution. But this is a huge controversy, putting people like spuppy, who bought an early HDTV in good faith, out in the cold. Analog component cables are technically capable of this HD, but they don't allow the vigorous copyprotection that digital connectors do. Essentially, content providers claim the right to disable HD via component when transmitting sensitive material, leaving only HDMI and DVI to carry it.

It remains to be seen what happens. But theoretically, if the material that the studios want to protect is important for you to see, you'd have to buy an HDMI, or DVI, appointed TV with HDCP. Incidentally, every HDTV, even if only with component input, is capable of scaling to a proper resolution of its feed. However, for reasons of copyprotection, largely only DVD players (#) with HDMI or DVI output can scale internally to resolutions greater than 480p, something a fixed-pixel TV, like LCD or DLP (http:///#), does routinely on its own.

Believe me, this is the short version of all the details involved.

Ed

spuppy517
05-24-2005, 08:02 PM
If the HDCP flag on HDMI (or DVI, its video-only predecessor) is enabled on an HDTV broadcast from an STB (it always is enabled on a DVD player with HDMI), then it's a good bet that tranmission over component, which ordinarily would have the requisite bandwidth to carry it, would be downconverted to a non-HD resolution. But this is a huge controversy, putting people like spuppy, who bought an early HDTV in good faith, out in the cold. Analog component cables are technically capable of this HD, but they don't allow the vigorous copyprotection that digital connectors do. Essentially, content providers claim the right to disable HD via component when transmitting sensitive material, leaving only HDMI and DVI to carry it.

So all this hoopla is over some copywrite protection bull-****e??? :mad:
The may claim to have the right to diasable HD via component but that's crap. I've never burned a DVD or downloaded a movie off the net or even copied a DVD to VHS in my life, and for them to punish me cause I was a schmuck and bought an HD tv 3 years ago is just - ugh! - so annoying and wrong!
Besides - don't these companies realize that they spend years, tons of money and man hours coming up with ways to "put an end to piracy" and after this new tech comes out, the hackers (or whatever you wanna call them) find a way around it in like less than a week. What's the point? All I know is I get screwed in the process. I am so pissed off right now!

Florian
05-24-2005, 11:52 PM
Stereo Magazine did a test a while back here in germany where they said that the Copyprotected CD's sound worse and cause errors in the CDP's. I think all this copy right crap is going to far too. Ok, in my LAN Party times i properbly had like every OS and tons of movies but that was a while ago. I dont think i they lost any money because of that. I wouldnt pay 8.50$ to see Another Teeny Movie anyways!!

-Flo

edtyct
05-25-2005, 06:48 AM
The Library Association and a consortium of private interests are fighting the government's backing of the copyprotection flag. So far their attempts at a legal case have fallen flat, but even the judge who threw their last case out of court suggested that a legal loophole might be available, given a legitimate injured party, since the FCC may well be overstepping its bounds. The consortium had tried to identify the hardware manufacturers forced to comply with the directive as an injured party. The problem is that the hardware manufacturers are all standing behind copyprotection. Without a genuinely injured plaintiff, no legal argument is possible. Apparently, denial of fair use is a policy issue that the courts cannot decide.

As for copyprotection causing a degradation of content, the analog Macrovision type might arguably have a noticeable effect in some cases, but the digital kind via HDMI is another matter entirely. But the issue is really whether the FCC inherently has the kind of jurisdiction over digital devices that would allow it to act in behalf of the content providers to control a digital stream into houses, libraries, etc. Its state purpose certainly does not authorize this authority. Whatever your politics, this plan represents another sly encroachment of the corporate sector into the mechanisms of government. Personally, from my perspective as an editor, I can see having some kind of copyright protection in place to guard against theft and piracy, but I can also see how the lines drawn must not penalize legitimate consumers buying and acting in good faith. Content providers have always managed to make their money, even in the face of technology that scared them to death. Offering better products and finding ways to cooperate with the intentions of ordinary consumers is the way for them to proceed, not to interfere with what happens in stores and households.

Ed

spuppy517
05-25-2005, 10:57 PM
All this is still speculation anyway, right? I mean it hasn't been absolutely decided that these next gen devices will only do HD thru HDMI and default to 480p otherwise, has it? Cause I might cry. I love my tv. weep.

edtyct
05-26-2005, 06:37 AM
It is unlikely that all HD programming will be affected. Special broadcasts and maybe certain films, the kinds of material that might have a market value or compete with "legitimate" aftermarket outlets, are most likely to be downconverted via analog. The opposition needs to mount a good legal offensive, which so far it hasn't been able to do. We certainly haven't heard that the last of this issue, atlthough, at this stage, all of the elements are in place for at least certain shows via cable and satellite, as well as off-air, to be downconverted via analog or not to work at all. So far as DVDs in high def are concerned, I'd be very surprised if most of them weren't restricted to HDMI, even though the players will probably have component outputs that could show less sensitive material as HD.

Ed