RCA stereo to mono adapter? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : RCA stereo to mono adapter?

douglasbjordan
05-21-2005, 04:09 PM
I take my notebook to hotels to watch DVDs, but many hotels don't have stereo RCA connections on their VCRs/TVs, only mono. Is there an adapter/cable I can use that will convert a Left and Right RCA plug to a single Mono plug? I tried it with a Y-splitter, but it caused LOTs of distortion (apparently the splitter was intended to go from Mono->Stereo, not the other way around). Is there any adapter that will do this, or will I need to instead somehow force my computer software into sending out a mono signal?

Thanks.

noddin0ff
05-21-2005, 05:43 PM
Yes, there is. But you may have to piece together a few adaptors. I have an arrangement that will take L/R RCA to mono from RadioShack. So, stereo to L/R RCA...Male to Male RCA...L/R RCA to mono... and your there. You have to be creative. Perhaps there's a simple path.

markw
05-22-2005, 10:10 AM
Those "Y" adapters are great for sending a mono signal to two inputs (like two subwoofer inputs) but when you try to use it to combine two stereo signals into one mono signal, you get involved with phase cancellation and other nasty stuff.

douglasbjordan
05-23-2005, 04:53 AM
When you try to use it to combine two stereo signals into one mono signal, you get involved with phase cancellation and other nasty stuff.
Heh, I noticed. I guess there's no simple little adapter that will do it, eh? I would need a more sophisticated (probably actively powered) converter or something?

JBMAudio.com
05-24-2005, 05:20 PM
I take my notebook to hotels to watch DVDs, but many hotels don't have stereo RCA connections on their VCRs/TVs, only mono. Is there an adapter/cable I can use that will convert a Left and Right RCA plug to a single Mono plug? I tried it with a Y-splitter, but it caused LOTs of distortion (apparently the splitter was intended to go from Mono->Stereo, not the other way around). Is there any adapter that will do this, or will I need to instead somehow force my computer software into sending out a mono signal?

Thanks.

Just use the left channel and don't worry about getting an adaptor. You won't notice much difference since it is a mono play back

noddin0ff
05-25-2005, 06:13 AM
Those "Y" adapters are great for sending a mono signal to two inputs (like two subwoofer inputs) but when you try to use it to combine two stereo signals into one mono signal, you get involved with phase cancellation and other nasty stuff.

ahhh, good point.

douglasbjordan
05-25-2005, 06:29 AM
Just use the left channel and don't worry about getting an adaptor. You won't notice much difference since it is a mono play back

Then the mono channel would be composed only of stuff that's supposed to be played by the left speaker. I'd like to keep the right speaker, too. Guess I'll just hafta configure the media playing software on the computer to downmix the output to mono.

noddin0ff
05-25-2005, 06:40 AM
Of course, the question that hasn't been asked...What's wrong with headphones?

Get a long video cable and relax next to your laptop. I'd take earbuds over mono anyday.