Project vs vintage thorens [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Project vs vintage thorens

Kaboom
05-21-2005, 03:35 PM
My very pathetic acoustic control turntable (99€ a year ago...) has finally crapped out on me, so this is a great oportunity to get a decent turntable.
now the shop i usually go is offering me second hand thorens TTs from a few years back. I've heard wonderful things about these, but i've also heard wonderful things about the new ProJects. For about the same price, which would be the 1Experience or the 2Expression price point, where am i getting more bang for the buck?
I can't really give model numbers yet, i will on monday, but i'm just wondering if technology has advanced to the point where new is worth it against secondhand.
cheers!

dean_martin
05-21-2005, 06:09 PM
My very pathetic acoustic control turntable (99? a year ago...) has finally crapped out on me, so this is a great oportunity to get a decent turntable.
now the shop i usually go is offering me second hand thorens TTs from a few years back. I've heard wonderful things about these, but i've also heard wonderful things about the new ProJects. For about the same price, which would be the 1Experience or the 2Expression price point, where am i getting more bang for the buck?
I can't really give model numbers yet, i will on monday, but i'm just wondering if technology has advanced to the point where new is worth it against secondhand.
cheers!

I can't tell you which is better. The new Pro-jects come with Pro-ject's new carbon fiber tonearm. IMO, the table/arm combo that is best at revealing the differences in cartridges is the one that will probably stay with you the longest. I would suggest auditioning the Pro-jects and the Thorens with the best cartridges the shop has available for demonstration as compared to the cartridges that will come with the tables (if any). This will give you an idea as to whether your performance will be static or upgradeable. For example, if the Pro-jects come with the Sumiko Pearl or Black Pearl, you should hear a huge difference with another cart. This may be a personal thing. I don't care for Sumiko's lower priced carts, but I have a Pro-ject table which I do like.

Also, make sure the tables you're interested in spin at the correct speed or at least within LESS than 1% of correct speed. Hopefully your dealer can check speed. Detachable interconnects are a plus too. Some older tables with captured cables get shorts. Just some things to look at and consider.

JohnMichael
05-22-2005, 10:55 AM
I owned a Thorens TD 290 which was actually made by the folks who make the Project turntable. The arm was the same arm they were using but with a removeable headshell. The Thorens had a complicated electronics board that had to be repaired twice. I was told the Projects were much simpler and so more reliable. I would go with a Project or a Rega planar turntable IMO.

GlenNewdick
05-23-2005, 05:36 AM
I owned a Thorens TD 290 which was actually made by the folks who make the Project turntable. The arm was the same arm they were using but with a removeable headshell. The Thorens had a complicated electronics board that had to be repaired twice. I was told the Projects were much simpler and so more reliable. I would go with a Project or a Rega planar turntable IMO.

I would have to agree With JohnMichael go for the Project or better yet the Rega. I have hear the new Project line as well as the new Planar 3. I put the first two Project TT in there line in my system just to see how they sounded stock out of the box I also had the new Rega Planar 3 in the system and they are all a great value. listen to all ,but I found the Rega TT more to my liking but it was the most expensive (think used here).