An open letter to Ericl [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : An open letter to Ericl

ForeverAutumn
05-21-2005, 12:50 PM
I tried to send the attached to Eric as a PM. But his mailbox is full. So, I have decided to post it here instead.

C'mon Eric...What's with moving my post on car systems? It wasn't even really off topic! We've been way more off topic than that and been left alone. Isn't it bad enough that the support that you receive on the Rave Recs board has dwindled significantly, down to a scarce few regulars in fact, over the last year or two? Are you intent on now losing the few that still support your site?

When Terrence moved posts last year and everyone freaked out (me included) I did end up, sort of, understanding the point that you were trying to make about supporting ALL of the forums. However, RR is more than a forum, it's a community. It's a community that is already in a very precarious situation and that doing silly things like relocating relevant posts (and even irrelevant posts) will destroy.

Please don't destroy the Rave Wrecks community. Some of us really like it there. :(

Jim Clark
05-21-2005, 01:52 PM
Ditto! And not just to pump up my post count that's suffered over the past few months!

jc

Geoffcin
05-21-2005, 05:09 PM
I tried to send the attached to Eric as a PM. But his mailbox is full. So, I have decided to post it here instead.

C'mon Eric...What's with moving my post on car systems? It wasn't even really off topic! We've been way more off topic than that and been left alone. Isn't it bad enough that the support that you receive on the Rave Recs board has dwindled significantly, down to a scarce few regulars in fact, over the last year or two? Are you intent on now losing the few that still support your site?

When Terrence moved posts last year and everyone freaked out (me included) I did end up, sort of, understanding the point that you were trying to make about supporting ALL of the forums. However, RR is more than a forum, it's a community. It's a community that is already in a very precarious situation and that doing silly things like relocating relevant posts (and even irrelevant posts) will destroy.

Please don't destroy the Rave Wrecks community. Some of us really like it there. :(

Your wish is my command;

kexodusc
05-21-2005, 05:30 PM
I know at least 2 of the moderators mean well...Geoffcin's and Sir T are good people, just trying to keep things sorted out. But yeah, there should really be a different set of governing rules for the film and rave-recs boards...good people there and far fewer flame wars than the other forums.
Rave Recs has exposed me to some great new music over the last year or so...a few comps from people I've never met, no questions asked...can't beat that!!!
It'd be a shame to lose this asset by not allowing the off-topic threads in that forum so the "regulars" can find them easy enough....

Just my .02 cents...we've got bigger fish to fry here.

Finch Platte
05-21-2005, 05:34 PM
Your wish is my command;

What does that mean?

fp

Geoffcin
05-21-2005, 05:38 PM
What does that mean?

fp

Enjoy your clique-only forum.

Slosh
05-21-2005, 06:14 PM
What a bunch of babies :(

kexodusc
05-21-2005, 06:18 PM
Thanks Geoffcin...drop by and feel free to contribute...there's a serious lack of classical music/blues talk there, not sure if those are your thing or not - I hope it is..

Finch Platte
05-21-2005, 07:08 PM
What a bunch of babies :(

Us, or the mods?

fp

Finch Platte
05-21-2005, 07:09 PM

What does that mean?

fp

Slosh
05-21-2005, 07:21 PM
Us, or the mods?

fpEveryone but me! :D

Finch Platte
05-21-2005, 07:25 PM
Everyone but me! :D

Well, you are old.

fp

ForeverAutumn
05-21-2005, 08:23 PM

RR is not a clique-only forum. We welcome new members and encourage them to contribute. If some of us have been around for a while and have become friendly that doesn't make us a clique. As I stated earlier, I believe that makes us a community. An open community who warmly welcome people to join in. You included. Please feel free to join in the fun.

Now, regarding your comment that I didn't have to go over your head. That was not my intent. I didn't know who moved my post since it was moved without comment. I went to Eric simply because I didn't really want to start the same sort of flame war that went on when Terrence moved posts and some harsh words were exchanged and feelings hurt. I was trying to avoid that from happening again.

If I had wanted my post in the General Forum then I would have posted it there in the first place.

ForeverAutumn
05-21-2005, 09:07 PM
Geoffcin, here's an idea. If you thought that some of the posts here were humorous and would be appreciated in the General Forum, why not leave the post where it was originally put but post a link to it on the General Forum. That way no-one is upset by a moved post; the people that the poster intended it for can still have easy access to it; and the people that you think would also enjoy it can find it.

Seems like a win-win to me. :)

Geoffcin
05-22-2005, 02:55 AM
RR is not a clique-only forum. We welcome new members and encourage them to contribute. If some of us have been around for a while and have become friendly that doesn't make us a clique. As I stated earlier, I believe that makes us a community. An open community who warmly welcome people to join in. You included. Please feel free to join in the fun.

But, I'm a pretty gregarious guy, I post to all the forums, and I've never felt welcome in RR. I've tried posting here a few time and the responce was deafining silence. So, from and "outsiders" view of RR, this place is NOT a forum of "An open community who warmly welcome people to join in." now how much you would like to feel it is.

Now, regarding your comment that I didn't have to go over your head. That was not my intent. I didn't know who moved my post since it was moved without comment. I went to Eric simply because I didn't really want to start the same sort of flame war that went on when Terrence moved posts and some harsh words were exchanged and feelings hurt. I was trying to avoid that from happening again...

I said that only to tell you that I could put the thread back myself. You are absolutly free to complain about me, or any of my actions to Eric, or anyone else you feel like. I stand by them. I put the thread back as a courtacy to you, to make YOU feel better. I assure you that a flame war would not have been the result if I decided to leave them right where I put them.

If I had wanted my post in the General Forum then I would have posted it there in the first place.

I'm sorry, but the General Forum is EXACTY where I felt that thread belonged. RR is not anyones private sandbox, no matter how much you feel it's yours alone.

Geoffcin
05-22-2005, 03:04 AM
Geoffcin, here's an idea. If you thought that some of the posts here were humorous and would be appreciated in the General Forum, why not leave the post where it was originally put but post a link to it on the General Forum. That way no-one is upset by a moved post; the people that the poster intended it for can still have easy access to it; and the people that you think would also enjoy it can find it.

Seems like a win-win to me. :)

Why not try posting a little more widely and see what happens?

In the post that I moved to the General Forum I saw an AR member CONGRADULATE you for doing just that. Cross Forum posting like this is not only the proper way to use the Forums, it leads to more people cross posting, possibly even invigorating the RR Forum as well. I see this as a real "Win-Win" don't you?

Finch Platte
05-22-2005, 03:51 AM
Why not try posting a little more widely and see what happens?

In the post that I moved to the General Forum I saw an AR member CONGRADULATE you for doing just that. Cross Forum posting like this is not only the proper way to use the Forums, it leads to more people cross posting, possibly even invigorating the RR Forum as well. I see this as a real "Win-Win" don't you?

Why don't you guys relax a little?

I don't have enough time to check every board in this place, much less decide what post goes where.

I post on the RR board only, and that's probably the way it's gonna stay, if I stay, snotty attitude and all. :eek:

fp

newtrix1
05-22-2005, 04:55 AM
But, I'm a pretty gregarious guy, I post to all the forums, and I've never felt welcome in RR. I've tried posting here a few time and the responce was deafining silence. So, from and "outsiders" view of RR, this place is NOT a forum of "An open community who warmly welcome people to join in." now how much you would like to feel it is..

You've probably got a point here, many topics posted here do get "snubbed", it sucks but imo it's the topic that's getting snubbed not the poster.

I said that only to tell you that I could put the thread back myself. You are absolutly free to complain about me, or any of my actions to Eric, or anyone else you feel like. I stand by them. I put the thread back as a courtacy to you, to make YOU feel better. I assure you that a flame war would not have been the result if I decided to leave them right where I put them.

I'm sorry, but the General Forum is EXACTY where I felt that thread belonged. RR is not anyones private sandbox, no matter how much you feel it's yours alone.

Wow, not sure if I'm interpretting your attitude correctly in these comments, but the impression I'm getting is fairly curt. Doesn't seem fair to FA, and as some others here have pointed out, participation is already dwindling, do you think it's a good idea to come across with a post like this? I'm glad to finally hear an explanation about why these posts were moved, and I'm that you returned them upon request, but I don't see any reason for the defensivness.

Jim Clark
05-22-2005, 05:45 AM
Geoffcin, sorry you got your feelings hurt here in the past. If it will help you cope, it's happened to me as well. Actually I'd bet it's happened to everyone here so you should consider yourself initiated into the fold rather than let it twist your undies.

I can see how you get your impression of the place. Most of us have been here a whole lot longer than you have ( I believe I'm coming up on about 10 years). You're right, we do treat this place like we own it but it's because most of us have been here so long taking on a bit ownership seems natural. It's our little oasis on the internet and we work to protect it because it means something to us. I fail to see a huge downside, but that's just me.

Of course it's not our private little forum and for you to suggest new people aren't welcome bothers me and shows just how little you know about this place. New blood is always welcome. What we resent is you or anyone telling us what or where we should be posting, guess you're getting that loud and clear by now. We wish to post to the people of this forum. We aren't exactly MENSA here, but everyone knows that there are other boards at AR. If we wanted a post in one of those forums, we'd put it there. The audience we want is here and we are fully aware that AR made that possible and we are all very grateful. AR did it's job and gave us the opportunity to create an online community and we grabbed it, please don't let the success of that trouble you.

I'd suggest this place is the most open, friendliest place on the internet. I wish I could post all of the names and locations of the people who I've sent free music too and have absolutley no idea who they are or where they went. They asked for a disc or comp and I've mailed it. Not even worth mentioning if I was alone in this, but of course I'm not. I'd bet it's the same with every member here and everyone who was once a regular but has moved on. Nope, this is a very generous and friendly group. Never got a freebie from any other forum on the net in all these years but this place is a goldmine.

A clique? You're dead wrong bud. This is a very unique bunch and let's face it, most of us are oddities due to musical preferences and/or sheer numbers in our collections. That may very well leave someone who wants to discuss Def Leopard or Sade feeling left out but that doesn't make it a clique. Taste in music is a very personal thing and this place survives on the tiniest fraction of overlap we all have. Snubs happen but I'm sure it's going on in pretty much every forum at AR.

Thanks for setting things right and I hope in the future you won't be so quick to judge things around here.

jc

Troy
05-22-2005, 08:44 AM
Nice Post Jim, I agree with every word.

Geoff, Most of us don't post in other threads here because we're not gearheads. I have absolutely nothing to say in a HT or Speaker discussion. The times I've been to the general board over the EIGHT years I've frequented the RR board, it's been a mess of static, flames, arguments and generally contentious behavior. The general board here is like all the other boards on the web, a mess.

I'm of the mind that the problem with web forums everywhere in general is that there are TOO MANY separate forums. As Finch said, I certainly don't have time to hit every forum in this place. I want to talk music 80% of the time. Another 10% is movies and pop culture in general. The other 10% is stuff like FA's post. If you're looking for opinions, Audio Review would do better to have only 2 forum topics-

1. Media (music, movies, pop culture)
2. Gear

And simply make the search feature more functional.

You want everybody on your forums to participate with everyone else? I do too, believe it or not. Combine everybody into one big thread so they have no choice.

Is Rave Recs too clique-y? Yeah, I've always said that it was. When there were 35 people regularly posting on it though, the place rocked. Best board on the web. Newbies COULD come in and talk about Def Leopard or Sade and someone would talk back to them. As the user base shrank (due mainly to one now banned individual) that amount of overlap also decreased. So now that there's 7-10 regulars here it appears much cilique-yer than ever before.

Don't feel snubbed. Talk about music that I want to talk about and I'll be happy to reply. It's not that I dislike you, it's that my taste in music is different than yours.

The thing about the crew that frequents this forum is that it's egalitarian. None of us thinks they are smarter, more knowledgable or cooler than anyone else. We're all older (relative to the dynamic of most web forums), and generally more cynical than most. We ARE open to new posters, we, in fact CRAVE them, but we don't have much tolerance for know it alls swaggaring in or people telling us what we can and can't do.

If you, the mod, think that a thread here is worth a wider audience, I'm all for it. But why not simply DOUBLE the link into the other thread instead of deleting it from here?

Geoffcin
05-22-2005, 09:25 AM
I still think I did the right thing by moving the thread, although I see now that it seemed to RR regulars a heavy handed thing to do, and for that I apologize.

You should see my actions for what ment though; To get wider participation by all of theAR members. It was NOT an attemp to play with "your" forum at all.

For what it's worth, I belive moving it worked quite well. There was a lot of participation and interest when it was in General. Now I'm afraid the thread will be buried in the archives of the RR Forum. Who's better off for that?

MindGoneHaywire
05-22-2005, 09:52 AM
> It's not that I dislike you, it's that my taste in music is different than yours.

Good enough reason to dislike somebody.

>As the user base shrank (due mainly to one now banned individual)

A bit of a reach, don't you think? Seems to me quite a few of the people that individual antagonized are still here, and some of the first people that come to my mind that don't come here much anymore, if at all, are people who weren't on bad terms with him. But aside from that (and you could say it might've scared off newbies and/or lurkers), I'd argue that if there's one main reason the user base shrank, it was due to two board software upgrades that slowed things down considerably. When the first one happened I was still on dialup & it took so long to load a page here that it seemed pointless. When I moved to cable it was easily the slowest site I could find. I don't think I would've gravitated to the Asylum if not for the speed of the format on their forums, which seems to still work fine. Perhaps there was a technical reason that required that AR update the board, but I don't remember ever hearing that. Meanwhile, there are still plenty of people on dialup & I can't imagine having to wait for the pages to load. Using Firefox helps since Adblock eliminates a bunch of stuff that slow down page loads but I guess we're not supposed to mention things like that since those things I'm blocking are revenue generators for the site...which I'd have less time to spend coming to if I had to deal with every ad image that...slows things down...

>None of us thinks they are smarter, more knowledgable or cooler than anyone else.

I sure do.

I haven't yet had a chance to respond to the moderator's reply to my post in the other thread. If he thinks I'm criticizing AR, whatever. I come here to discuss music & I understand where he's coming from to an extent but he's inexplicably taking Finch's bait & while I don't really care I felt like he made his point 3 posts into something like a dozen posts in various threads here over the past 24 hours. What's the point? I didn't even know he was the moderator here. It's a thankless task, but that doesn't make a difference when it's handled in a way that doesn't seem to make sense. Like exhorting people to download an Alexa toolbar. Which was, thankfully, removed, of course, but this stuff about 'off-topic' seems to be a choice to adhere to the letter of a regulation, rather than the spirit. I can't help but think there just might be a better way to approach an issue the site folks may very well consider valid. Moving a thread with no advance notice sorta comes off power-trippy to us delicate wallflower elitists. Right, FA? That said, I think we can find a way to get over it & move on. Shall we?

ForeverAutumn
05-22-2005, 02:41 PM
But, I'm a pretty gregarious guy, I post to all the forums, and I've never felt welcome in RR. I've tried posting here a few time and the responce was deafining silence. So, from and "outsiders" view of RR, this place is NOT a forum of "An open community who warmly welcome people to join in." now how much you would like to feel it is.

Really? How many times have you posted here and been ignored?

A quick search showed that you've posted here twice since January. Both posts were in March and both posts were responded to. So, I'm not exactly sure what you expected of us. You have no idea how many threads I've started over the last two years that have gone absolutely nowhere. It's not personal. Sometimes the topic just isn't of huge interest. Sometimes it's a timing thing.

I joined this board a little over two years ago and was warmly welcomed even though my musical tastes at the time were far from everyone else's. Within the month I had received comps from at least six different people, all wanting to share some of their musical experiences with me. Many have come and gone since then and I've never seen anyone who isn't a troll treated with anything other than respect and generousity.

If you want to participate, then participate. If you don't, then don't. But don't tell me that your posts were met with a deafening silence. I'm not buying it.

The next time I see you post, I'll be sure to give you pity click. I do it to Finchy's posts all the time. ;)

3-LockBox
05-22-2005, 02:53 PM
I used to post over at the General board all the time until it became poluted by trolls and spec-meisters. The very nature of this board is sooo subjective that its no fun for the tech-nazies and DBT'ers in the other forums to come in and challenge anyone motives or tastes. We're sorta self moderated that way.

As far as cliques, well that was another reason I stopped posting the other forums. We're pretty good at suiffing out trolls here. Like I said, the very nature of our board is subjective. The only people that get snubbed here are the people who come in with a "your music sucks" attitude.

If I had quit coming here because no one requested my comps that were posted, then I'd have left long ago (prolly the least requested comps are/were mine).

If I got discouraged because my posts had a low read or reply count, hell, I'd be swinging from the rafters via home made noose. I don't post here looking for acceptance. I write reviews here because in my world it is very cathartic for me to do so, regardless of how many hits I get. In fact, a lot of my reviews get few, if any, responses. (I'm prolly the least read, least reponded to regular and I've been here for at least five years, but then again, my scope of interests might too broad for some, too narrow for others)

We seemed to do very well here before, without moderation. We even liked the Yechs of the world who would come in give everyone crap. The only time we ever got out of hand were on off topic subjects; but there again, we'd usually work it out ourselves, either here at the board or in private via e-mail.

I understand the dynamics of message boards and the advertising that keeps the entire site afloat, but its just like FA said, we're a community. I have a really hard time believing that anyone felt rejected or ignored at this board. Unless of course it me.

ForeverAutumn
05-22-2005, 03:08 PM
I still think I did the right thing by moving the thread, although I see now that it seemed to RR regulars a heavy handed thing to do, and for that I apologize.

You should see my actions for what ment though; To get wider participation by all of theAR members. It was NOT an attemp to play with "your" forum at all.

For what it's worth, I belive moving it worked quite well. There was a lot of participation and interest when it was in General. Now I'm afraid the thread will be buried in the archives of the RR Forum. Who's better off for that?

I understand that your intentions were good. And I understand your reasons for moving the thread. I hope that you understand my reasons for being upset over it.

In the end, no real harm has been done. If this is the biggest problem in my life than I am a very lucky girl. I was reminded of that this weekend by a friend's email.

I hope that you will continue to contribute on this forum. Whether you believe it or not, we are always happy to hear from new posters. :)

Finch Platte
05-22-2005, 03:14 PM
...although I see now that it seemed to RR regulars a heavy handed thing to do, and for that I apologize.

Apology accepted, thanks.

And please accept my apology for my bait-y post(s).

fp

Geoffcin
05-22-2005, 03:16 PM
Really? How many times have you posted here and been ignored? A quick search showed that you've posted here twice since January. Both posts were in March and both posts were responded to. So, I'm not exactly sure what you expected of us. You have no idea how many threads I've started over the last two years that have gone absolutely nowhere. It's not personal. Sometimes the topic just isn't of huge interest. Sometimes it's a timing thing.

I remember my last posts had little responce. The RR forum didn't seem very wecoming to me. That's when I decided not to try it again.

I joined this board a little over two years ago and was warmly welcomed even though my musical tastes at the time were far from everyone else's. Within the month I had received comps from at least six different people, all wanting to share some of their musical experiences with me. Many have come and gone since then and I've never seen anyone who isn't a troll treated with anything other than respect and generousity.

Like I said, I don't want to ruin your fun, that's why I put your thread back. You should at least give me credit for trying to do the right thing for you. Actually this whole thing blindsided me, I though I was doing you a favor by trying to bring more interest from the rest of AR to your thread. I see now I was mistaken.

Hyfi
05-22-2005, 03:19 PM
Really? How many times have you posted here and been ignored?

A quick search showed that you've posted here twice since January. Both posts were in March and both posts were responded to. So, I'm not exactly sure what you expected of us. You have no idea how many threads I've started over the last two years that have gone absolutely nowhere. It's not personal. Sometimes the topic just isn't of huge interest. Sometimes it's a timing thing.

If you want to participate, then participate. If you don't, then don't. But don't tell me that your posts were met with a deafening silence. I'm not buying it.

The next time I see you post, I'll be sure to give you pity click. I do it to Finchy's posts all the time. ;)
wasn,t sure where to put this post since I view in linear.

Before I discovered Rave Recs I spent 8 months getting Flamed on the Cable board by Mytercraft and a few others. Real unfriendly place. I hung in there because no I know I have heard differences in cable, whether good or bad. I posted in the Speaker forum for a while but it always seemed to be an advertising section for Knor.

Now then, I happened over here after parusing it a few times. I asked a question about a Genre that was being talked about. My post, included many a hardy welcomes and offers of comps to help me better understand the music I asked about. When I said I had nothing in return, I was told to "Pay it forward", something I learned here and have continued to do with Newbies. I am about to turn Hmmm on to some of my stuff since he asked. If you dont call all this friendly and community like, maybe you could clue us neanderthals in.

As far as your post not getting replies, check out my history, check out Finch too. We both have losts of posts nobody replied to. Are we crying? NO we keep on posting. Some of my posts had near record hits also, but that was before they screwed the software up here.

I use dialup and this site is a SLOW load so going to every board is not happening any more. I do post answers to computer questions at that board.

So waht do you suggest we all (as in the 10 regulars that keep this place alive) do?

Hyfi

These same people are about the only ones who still post here.

Thats it for me on this one.

FA Congrats on the new ride and sound system it comes with. I hope you enjoy many a Rave Recording while driving.

Geoffcin
05-22-2005, 03:20 PM
I understand that your intentions were good. And I understand your reasons for moving the thread. I hope that you understand my reasons for being upset over it.

In the end, no real harm has been done. If this is the biggest problem in my life than I am a very lucky girl. I was reminded of that this weekend by a friend's email.

I hope that you will continue to contribute on this forum. Whether you believe it or not, we are always happy to hear from new posters. :)

I am a "techie" to some degree, and yes I'm a gearhead too. But I've got a little secret for you....

Gearheads like new equipment, and you know why? It give us a reason to listen to all our music all over again!!

Geoffcin
05-22-2005, 03:25 PM
wasn,t sure where to put this post since I view in linear.

Before I discovered Rave Recs I spent 8 months getting Flamed on the Cable board by Mytercraft and a few others. Real unfriendly place. I hung in there because no I know I have heard differences in cable, whether good or bad. I posted in the Speaker forum for a while but it always seemed to be an advertising section for Knor.

Now then, I happened over here after parusing it a few times. I asked a question about a Genre that was being talked about. My post, included many a hardy welcomes and offers of comps to help me better understand the music I asked about. When I said I had nothing in return, I was told to "Pay it forward", something I learned here and have continued to do with Newbies. I am about to turn Hmmm on to some of my stuff since he asked. If you dont call all this friendly and community like, maybe you could clue us neanderthals in.

As far as your post not getting replies, check out my history, check out Finch too. We both have losts of posts nobody replied to. Are we crying? NO we keep on posting. Some of my posts had near record hits also, but that was before they screwed the software up here.

I use dialup and this site is a SLOW load so going to every board is not happening any more. I do post answers to computer questions at that board.

So waht do you suggest we all (as in the 10 regulars that keep this place alive) do?

Hyfi

These same people are about the only ones who still post here.

Thats it for me on this one.

FA Congrats on the new ride and sound system it comes with. I hope you enjoy many a Rave Recording while driving.

I really consider my job making this place safe for people to express their views. I'm liking this forum more and more, and I would NEVER want to see you loose what you have here for anything. I really wanted to see more of the gearhead regulars get involed with the RR forum.

ForeverAutumn
05-22-2005, 03:42 PM
I remember my last posts had little responce. The RR forum didn't seem very wecoming to me. That's when I decided not to try it again.

I'm really sorry that you felt this way. I can assure that you were not being snubbed. I hope that you'll give us another shot.

Like I said, I don't want to ruin your fun, that's why I put your thread back. You should at least give me credit for trying to do the right thing for you. Actually this whole thing blindsided me, I though I was doing you a favor by trying to bring more interest from the rest of AR to your thread. I see now I was mistaken.

I will give you credit for doing what you thought was right. We've run into the same problem that we ran into with Terrence. The intentions were good, but unfortunately, the intentions were not explained up front. Perhaps we should have given you the benefit of the doubt. Something that I'm not always very good at. I apologize for that. You were not mistaken in your intent. I still think, however, that there has to be a better way to handle this.

Geoffcin
05-22-2005, 03:59 PM
I'm really sorry that you felt this way. I can assure that you were not being snubbed. I hope that you'll give us another shot.

I will give you credit for doing what you thought was right. We've run into the same problem that we ran into with Terrence. The intentions were good, but unfortunately, the intentions were not explained up front. Perhaps we should have given you the benefit of the doubt. Something that I'm not always very good at. I apologize for that. You were not mistaken in your intent. I still think, however, that there has to be a better way to handle this.

Give and take, understanding both points of view, coming to a conclusion that both can agree is fair. There really is no better way. No if we can just get the Senate to act the same way....Wait, now I'm going off topic!

Hyfi
05-22-2005, 04:57 PM
I really consider my job making this place safe for people to express their views. I'm liking this forum more and more, and I would NEVER want to see you loose what you have here for anything. I really wanted to see more of the gearhead regulars get involed with the RR forum.

Can someone explain all these new terms to me please.
Gearhead
Techie

Are Gearheads like Motorheads?
Are Techies like Trekies?

I like new gear also, being out of work for 2 years has put a damper on things in that area. My Marantz CD67-SE is acting up as of late and won't shuffle any of my comps...just everyone elses. Audio Alchemy Dac is still hanging in there.

I noticed your Maggies. Always loved em but they lack bass. I see you have that covered with the Vels. I'm still loving my Dynaudio Audience 82s driven with a moded Stratos.

I just bought a nice pair of outdoor speakers Athena AS-06. Fine pair of Canadian speakers. I drive them along with a pair of JM Labs Tantal 509s with a Hafler 9145 Pre/Tuner & 9180 Amp.

Give this place a chance. Trade comps with some folks. End up with a whole CD case full of music you would have never listened to if people here didn't turn you on to it. If a post a month is a little off topic (not that car stereo systems and the music played on them is off topic) then as suggested, link it to the other forums. Let them know where it came from and maybe they can all cross post here.

I take it from your title line that you somehow remember Mytercraft and his band of Witch Hunters. I was linched weekly over there. Glad to here it is an open forum one again but hey, maybe it was the contraversy after all that kept people posting.

Happy Posting

tentoze
05-22-2005, 05:20 PM
Anybody want some popcorn? While listening to yr favorite Rave Recordings, of course, and reading all this........

Geoffcin
05-22-2005, 07:12 PM
Can someone explain all these new terms to me please.
Gearhead
Techie

Are Gearheads like Motorheads?
Are Techies like Trekies?

Yes, and no. Gearheads like to have new gear just, if only for the sake of new gear. Get's us excited to listen to things closely all over again. Techies like to bone up on the tech aspect of audio, and audio gear. You can be a techie, or a gearhead, or both. I'm an engineer, so tech comes with the job, but I'm more of a gearhead when it comes to Audio. Kexo is becoming a real techie as of late, the man knows the audio equvilent of Pi out to the 27 digit...it's hard to keep up with him!

I like new gear also, being out of work for 2 years has put a damper on things in that area. My Marantz CD67-SE is acting up as of late and won't shuffle any of my comps...just everyone elses. Audio Alchemy Dac is still hanging in there.

I noticed your Maggies. Always loved em but they lack bass. I see you have that covered with the Vels. I'm still loving my Dynaudio Audience 82s driven with a moded Stratos.

I just bought a nice pair of outdoor speakers Athena AS-06. Fine pair of Canadian speakers. I drive them along with a pair of JM Labs Tantal 509s with a Hafler 9145 Pre/Tuner & 9180 Amp.

Give this place a chance. Trade comps with some folks. End up with a whole CD case full of music you would have never listened to if people here didn't turn you on to it. If a post a month is a little off topic (not that car stereo systems and the music played on them is off topic) then as suggested, link it to the other forums. Let them know where it came from and maybe they can all cross post here.

I take it from your title line that you somehow remember Mytercraft and his band of Witch Hunters. I was linched weekly over there. Glad to here it is an open forum one again but hey, maybe it was the contraversy after all that kept people posting.

Happy Posting

I hate to say this, but I dont even know what a comp is!

Mytcrap I do know, and it was after my fellow mods, and I came on board that he was banished to the AR neverworld. Your NEVER going to see the kind of posts that he was famous for on AR as long as I have a say.

Dusty Chalk
05-22-2005, 08:34 PM
As far as your post not getting replies, check out my history, check out Finch too. We both have losts of posts nobody replied to. Are we crying? NO...Well, Finch cries into his beer quite frequently, actually, but then we pity-click him, and tell him a joke or two (A man walks into a bar. It hurt. The end.), and maybe post a promiscuous pic or two, and he feels better.

(Finch -- I'll PM you the latest of Nat Portman -- she's a cue-ball these days...working on a movie called V For Vendetta.)

So, Geoff (or should I call you Mr. Cin?), what kind of music do you listen to?

And are you the same person as shokhed, or am I confused?

newtrix1
05-23-2005, 02:33 AM
Anybody want some popcorn? While listening to yr favorite Rave Recordings, of course, and reading all this........

This is the "get to know the moderator who doesn't seem like such a bad guy after all" thread ;)

Hyfi
05-23-2005, 02:57 AM

A Comp is when you put together a disk of your favs, all one artist, theme, or just a sampling of new stuff your listening to. My listening range at least doubled if not tripled since being here.

shokhead
05-23-2005, 05:07 AM

Your the Moderator. You dont have to explain anything if you dont want and i would'nt let a few try to tell you how. If they dont like it,let them cry for awhile. Might be good reasons why RR is so dead,imo of course.

Finch Platte
05-23-2005, 06:24 AM
Your the Moderator. You dont have to explain anything if you dont want and i would'nt let a few try to tell you how. If they dont like it,let them cry for awhile. Might be good reasons why RR is so dead,imo of course.

IMO, of course.

fp

ForeverAutumn
05-23-2005, 06:31 AM

I'll tell you what Geoff...PM me a mailing address if you want to and I'll send you a comp that I put together a while back with some of the newer Canadian artists that I've been listening to. It's just a sampler of one or two songs from each artist. It was put together so that some of my American friends here could get an idea of some of the music that I've been listening to, and some of the bands that aren't getting any exposure south of the border yet.

As a result of this comp, I know at least one person here who went out and purchased a couple of CDs from bands that, without this "comp", they probably would never have been introduced to.

Also, Davey is getting ready to send out CRSv10. CRS stands for Current Rotation Sampler. It's a group effort where, anyone who's interested in participating, contributes a track from a CD that they are currently listening to and think that other's should hear. Once the CD is received and listened to (by anyone who wants a copy) it usually ends up generating some pretty interesting reviews on this site. If you're interested, I'd be happy to forward a copy to you once I receive mine from Davey.

Personally, I've lost track of the number of bands that I've been introduced to through RR comps over the last couple of years. Be forwarned, however, that comp trading can lead to addictive purchase disorder (APD). And has been known to drain many wallets.

tentoze
05-23-2005, 06:52 AM
"Hey, can you please post this in the AR "snackfoods" thread? "

It's SCARY in those other forums. GEEZ, no wonder this forum is so deadblahblahblah.

Nobody ever answers my requests for recommendations on hot acid- polka groups verging on a break-out into the Billboard Top 100. Wah.

But seriously, I've been ignored for 2 1/2 years and all I can say is I think it shows remarkably good judgment on the part of the old guard regulars here............

;)

<HR color=#cccccc SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->

Geoffcin
05-23-2005, 07:15 AM

Just because I don't have to explain my actions doesn't mean I shouldn't. Think how you would feel if your posts suddenly disappeared without any explanation.

Geoffcin
05-23-2005, 07:17 AM
I'll tell you what Geoff...PM me a mailing address if you want to and I'll send you a comp that I put together a while back with some of the newer Canadian artists that I've been listening to. It's just a sampler of one or two songs from each artist. It was put together so that some of my American friends here could get an idea of some of the music that I've been listening to, and some of the bands that aren't getting any exposure south of the border yet.

As a result of this comp, I know at least one person here who went out and purchased a couple of CDs from bands that, without this "comp", they probably would never have been introduced to.

Also, Davey is getting ready to send out CRSv10. CRS stands for Current Rotation Sampler. It's a group effort where, anyone who's interested in participating, contributes a track from a CD that they are currently listening to and think that other's should hear. Once the CD is received and listened to (by anyone who wants a copy) it usually ends up generating some pretty interesting reviews on this site. If you're interested, I'd be happy to forward a copy to you once I receive mine from Davey.

Personally, I've lost track of the number of bands that I've been introduced to through RR comps over the last couple of years. Be forwarned, however, that comp trading can lead to addictive purchase disorder (APD). And has been known to drain many wallets.

I'm really getting into all this new lingo! I cant wait to put my CRS in my CRV, and go cruising down the blvd!

Troy
05-23-2005, 07:58 AM
Comps:

http://www.designshed.com/cdcovers/complist.html

shokhead
05-23-2005, 08:00 AM
Just because I don't have to explain my actions doesn't mean I shouldn't. Think how you would feel if your posts suddenly disappeared without any explanation.

That might benifit everybody. LOL
Your right.

3-LockBox
05-23-2005, 08:45 AM
If you, the mod, think that a thread here is worth a wider audience, I'm all for it. But why not simply DOUBLE the link into the other thread instead of deleting it from here?

I wondered that myself Troy.

I think we're more clannish than cliquish.

But do you really think Yech scared away that many regulars? Or just newbies?

Your right though, this place was better than Cheers at one time. The ideas and musics that were freely exchanged here is unsurpassed in internet history. I guess you could've called it a Camelot of sorts.

Troy
05-24-2005, 08:06 AM
But do you really think Yech scared away that many regulars? Or just newbies?

Yeah, I do.

but MGH's comment about the slowness and pop ups may be true as well. This site has never been slow for me. I have a fast cable connection. This site has always loaded instantly for me. I've never had pop ups because I run a blocker.

ericl
05-24-2005, 09:47 AM
Hi Guys,

I just discovered this thread today. Sorry I was out (trying to stay off the computer on the weekends!).

Here's the deal. We have these different forums dedicated to different topics. We like to keep things organized so that people can find what they're looking for. If we let people post whatever they wanted wherever they wanted, then what is the point of having separate forums? It becomes a free for all. So we move threads that are not on topic, and we're going to keep doing that. I don't think this is such a terribly tyrannical rule, its standard practice when running a forum like this. I also really don't like seeing Geoff get beat up about this either, he's just helping out. He's great guy and he's doing this pro bono, for the love of the site, OK?

I think you're a great bunch of guys and although i don't post here too much, I have been seeking out recordings based on what i read here. I'd really like to see you guys branch out in the forums a little bit so it does feel less 'cliqish' (sp?) in here. It would help stimulate community, which you guys are lamenting the loss of.

Cheers,
Eric

BarryL
05-24-2005, 10:14 AM
"Hey, can you please post this in the AR "snackfoods" thread? "

It's SCARY in those other forums. GEEZ, no wonder this forum is so deadblahblahblah.

Nobody ever answers my requests for recommendations on hot acid- polka groups verging on a break-out into the Billboard Top 100. Wah.

But seriously, I've been ignored for 2 1/2 years and all I can say is I think it shows remarkably good judgment on the part of the old guard regulars here............

;)

<HR color=#cccccc SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->

What do you win? Nothing. I'm ignoring you! :)

MindGoneHaywire
05-24-2005, 07:55 PM
Hey, Site Administrator--you do whatever you want to do. Yr post confirms my take that moving threads, especially without warning, is solid evidence of a power trip. You have that power; you want to use it, use it. You continue to reject what I consider to be a reasonable compromise--that off-topic posts put up to be read by the people who come to this forum, be posted in their proper place, but that you allow the poster to put up a post in this forum to draw the attention of the posters in this forum--and in doing so I think you are being extremely unreasonable. You don't agree? Consider a move back to a format that isn't so frickin' slow for people & regulars will find it a lot easier to spend the extra time to post in the appropriate forum without bending any of yr rules--which are, again, being adhered to according to the letter, as opposed to the spirit.

Of course, if you care more about seeing to it that every single post appears in its proper place than in the place where more interested parties are going to actually read it, then you're going to force this regular out.

Troy:

>Yeah, I do.

Chip, Brad, DLD, Swish, Rae, Demetrio, CC, AudioGirl, & JDaniel are people I either don't see here much anymore, or less frequently than they once did, and I don't recall any of them having personal issues with you-know-who. You, Davey, Barry & FA, Mason, JC, Dusty, & RPM are all people who saw nasty posts directed at them at one time or another, yet, for the most part, all of them/you are still here--and, unless I'm mistaken, none of these people went away, only to return after the banning. Am I wrong? I don't think he drove Darius away, either. I don't question anyone's right to have been offended by personal attacks, but while I understand where you're coming from, this just doesn't exactly make sense. If it did I don't think 3-Lock would've questioned this, also. Think about it.

Dusty Chalk
05-24-2005, 08:46 PM
I'd really like to see you guys branch out in the forums a little bit...Well, I'll be quite possibly the only honest person here and say -- I, for one, would not. What do I have to gain? I could care less about equipment, and even less about arguing about equipment. And the general forum is just time-wasting. I want to talk about music.
...It would help stimulate community, which you guys are lamenting the loss of.No, we're lamenting the loss of our community. We don't care what happens in those other forums. Or, at least, I don't.

ericl
05-24-2005, 10:15 PM
Guys,

I think you are overreacting just a bit. No one is trying to oppress you or on a power trip. This is just an internet bulletin board, and we're following basic rules that apply all over the internet to keep it organized. I think its a little dramatic to say we're trying to destroy your community. There are far worse things happening in the world! We're just doing a job.

I think you guys in RR are great, I am really grateful that you are here. But can we take it easy a bit? Please?

Thanks,
Eric

tentoze
05-24-2005, 10:29 PM
Want some popcorn?

ericl
05-24-2005, 11:06 PM
oh yeah, the links to relevant threads, no problem with that.

MindGoneHaywire
05-24-2005, 11:24 PM
oh yeah, the links to relevant threads, no problem with that.

No?

Sir Terence The Terrible:

"I am sorry, I cannot see why the post has to be done it two places."

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?p=60781#post60781

Believe me, Eric, the irony is not lost on me that I've spent far more time responding to yr PM & tracking down this post than anyone will clicking two or three additional links. Not the point. If you say this is OK with you, I think that's great & don't see any reason why anyone should violate the rules in the future. But this is in direct contradiction with Terence's position just 6 months ago.

shokhead
05-25-2005, 05:58 AM
Teachers dont run a school, the baggers dont run the store, and posters dont run this forum so stop crying like a newborn, let them run it the way they do and if you dont like it,PM them or leave. See,its just so easy. Between the A-Holes and babys,i'm surprised any new poster would stay around when there's so many other places to post. Some of you are so fricken full of yourself.

Stone
05-25-2005, 06:16 AM
Teachers dont run a school, the baggers dont run the store, and posters dont run this forum so stop crying like a newborn, let them run it the way they do and if you dont like it,PM them or leave. See,its just so easy. Between the A-Holes and babys,i'm surprised any new poster would stay around when there's so many other places to post. Some of you are so fricken full of yourself.

I've really tried to stay out of the fray of this one (for the most part) because people have already said what I wanted to say, but I'm giving into the trolling here for a bit . . .

With all due respect, skokhead, I don't think you understand this place or exactly who is being the "A-Hole." Many of us have been on this board for quite some time (to some, I'm a relative newbie and I've been around over 5 years), and this really is a community of friends and acquaintances. Having said that, many of us have tried to get new people to join, and welcomed new people that showed up. I agree with you that it's up to the moderators/administrators to run this place, but they should be open to hearing criticism without jumping to conclusions and immediately getting defensive, nor in my estimation should they just make an executive decision like moving an entire thread when there are a lot of people around here who it affects.

This forum (and the posters that make it what it is) may not mean much to you, and that's fine. But (a) you either don't understand that this really is a community and many of us feel like we know each other (and welcome open-minded, generally polite people into our community), and/or (b) you don't care and you like being surly/a troll. Either way, I think you should re-read your post and take a look in the mirror.

nobody
05-25-2005, 06:24 AM
I just think its kinda sad that this is the longest thread we've had here for quite some time.

Stone
05-25-2005, 06:34 AM
I just think its kinda sad that this is the longest thread we've had here for quite some time.

And that it drew some people out of the woodwork to post more (including me, admittedly).

MindGoneHaywire
05-25-2005, 06:43 AM

Read the thread I linked to, genius. Then tell me you have no problem with anything that Terence did. Then tell me he first doesn't say that a post in two forums on the same topic is not allowed, then he tells Troy that it's okay if he puts a post up in Rave Recs saying he's going to post a movie review in the Films Forum (which is off-topic), then he says it's NOT okay to do this. "Let them run it the way they do," huh? So are they going to stick to their rules or not? Eric says here it's okay. Terence said it wasn't. Us babies can't follow the rules when we're given two different stories. Adults have difficulty with this also. You said off-topic is off-topic, right? Easy to follow? Then why are you adding an off-topic post to an off-topic thread? You wouldn't want to be in violation of the rules, now, would you?

shokhead
05-25-2005, 07:46 AM
LMAO,your a great example of what i'm saying,thanks. To funny. Its not fricken WW3,your not going to die. Its a public forum, not the gas chamber. Get over it. Let it go but you wont.

shokhead
05-25-2005, 07:51 AM
I've really tried to stay out of the fray of this one (for the most part) because people have already said what I wanted to say, but I'm giving into the trolling here for a bit . . .

With all due respect, skokhead, I don't think you understand this place or exactly who is being the "A-Hole." Many of us have been on this board for quite some time (to some, I'm a relative newbie and I've been around over 5 years), and this really is a community of friends and acquaintances. Having said that, many of us have tried to get new people to join, and welcomed new people that showed up. I agree with you that it's up to the moderators/administrators to run this place, but they should be open to hearing criticism without jumping to conclusions and immediately getting defensive, nor in my estimation should they just make an executive decision like moving an entire thread when there are a lot of people around here who it affects.

This forum (and the posters that make it what it is) may not mean much to you, and that's fine. But (a) you either don't understand that this really is a community and many of us feel like we know each other (and welcome open-minded, generally polite people into our community), and/or (b) you don't care and you like being surly/a troll. Either way, I think you should re-read your post and take a look in the mirror.
I look in the mirror everyday and my life doesnt circle around any public forum. Its not fricken WW3,man o man. Feel like we know each other,through a computer screen,thats sad.

Troy
05-25-2005, 07:53 AM
Hey Shokhead, Your sig is stupid. The UPS store sells empty boxes too.

shokhead
05-25-2005, 07:58 AM
I think some of you need to get a grip on things. Is your life circling around this forum? Dont you have jobs,friends ,yards to mow? I guess i just dont understand your life consumed into a forum. Its just info and fun for me but i guess its life and death for others so for the others,i'm sorry for treating this problem so lightly.

nobody
05-25-2005, 08:25 AM
Yo tentoze...toss me a beer, this may be worthing sticking around for...

jasn
05-25-2005, 08:35 AM
Shokhead...chill. You seem to be the one getting all bent out of shape. With over 700 posts yourself, you're not exactly an occasional lurker yourself. If the RR "regulars" bug you, then encourage others from the other AR sections you spend time on to come over and contribute.

That this thread was born out of a dispute with a moderator, and that the moderator is allowing it too continue, is a bit disturbing.

Jim Clark
05-25-2005, 08:47 AM

With all due respect, skokhead, I don't think you understand this place or exactly who is being the "A-Hole."

(and welcome open-minded, generally polite people into our community), and/or (b) you don't care and you like being surly/a troll. Either way, I think you should re-read your post and take a look in the mirror.

Numero Uno-We're all entitled to a little diversion from time to time. It can be fun.

B. I had well placed suspicions about this character when among his first posts here (that I came across at any rate) was to Troy and stated " Off Topic belongs in{drum roll please} Off Topic,its really pretty easy."

My initial thought was reflected in this post "Well, I'm going to withhold judgement on one ding-a-ling that just started chimmng in..." Anyone think I was incorrect??? The rest has just been icing.

IV. I'm not really in the mood for more icing. Think I'm gonna go squeeze nine holes in but I really liked your comment about generally polite people.

Big Bertha needs me.

jc