HD 8300 Scientific Atlanta DVR Does Anyone Have [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HD 8300 Scientific Atlanta DVR Does Anyone Have

hershon
05-21-2005, 12:44 PM
Well after several months Time Warner finally said they are ready to upgrade my HD DVR from the 8000 to the 8300 series. Does anyone have this model? If so, are you: 1. Able to get
5.1 surround sound on it- something the 8000 couldn't do because they wouldn't program it to do so, 2. Record external copies to a VCR or DVD recorder, again something the 8000 wasn't programmed to do. 3. Does the 8300 save more hours of shows? 4. Can you still only record 2 channels at a time on the 8300 and not watch another channel live?

shokhead
05-21-2005, 01:31 PM
Cant help.i'm Direct TV with TiVo.

Geoffcin
05-21-2005, 04:23 PM
Well after several months Time Warner finally said they are ready to upgrade my HD DVR from the 8000 to the 8300 series. Does anyone have this model? If so, are you: 1. Able to get
5.1 surround sound on it- something the 8000 couldn't do because they wouldn't program it to do so, 2. Record external copies to a VCR or DVD recorder, again something the 8000 wasn't programmed to do. 3. Does the 8300 save more hours of shows? 4. Can you still only record 2 channels at a time on the 8300 and not watch another channel live?

Yes, I have the 8300HD and it;

1) Outputs Dolby EX 5.1 via both toslink and RCA output. As a bonus it has 96/24 DACs that decode and output VERY high quality STEREO sound from the digital music channels. I would put it's sound very close to CD, on some recordings it would be impossible to tell a difference at all.

2) Outputs Stereo and composite video for copying to either a DVR, or VCR. It also has S-video output, in addition to HDMI output. There's even a SATA harddrive link. I'm not sure if that's active though.

3) Can record two HD channels at the same time, or one channel and view another of your choice. (of course you can view either shows as you record too) That aside, one of the best features is that it records "on the fly" everything your tuned to whether your recording or not. I cant tell you how may times I've said "I want to see that again" and was able to time slip it back to see it.

I give the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD a 5 star rating. If your cable or satellite company is offering one I would recommend it without question. It's the best thing that you can get for your TV.

JeffKnob
05-21-2005, 04:53 PM
I have the 8300HD and it gets 5.1 on certain programs but not all of them. I don't think it will save more shows. I haven't tried to output to a VCR because I hate the way VCR recordings look.

Here is a link to a post where I answered you previously about the question of whether the 8300 does 5.1 or not.
http://forums.audioreview.com/showpost.php?p=78170&postcount=17

shokhead
05-21-2005, 05:13 PM

Hershon,is that you?

hershon
05-21-2005, 05:16 PM
Are you guys on Time Warner Cable & when did you get the 8300? Out here in LA, they've taken ages to finally make the 8300 available as opposed to the 8000 which I've had for a year or so. A few questions for you: 1.For 5.1 sound, do you just have to attach a fiber optic cable to your receiver from this as it didn't work with the 8000. 2. My 8000 had the external video & audio outputs but Time Warner never activated them. Have they actually activated the 8300? If not, is there a way to get someone to activate this for you? 3. On the 8000 I could record 2 channels (both can be HD) at the same time but I can't watch a third channel live. I'm sure this is still the case on the 8300. 4. What do you mean by on the fly recording? You don't mean that if you missed a show , you can go to the online guide and still record it, right? I'm getting mine on Friday. Oh, I only have a DVR for the living room. Do you think its a waste of money to buy one for the bedroom too as you can't
transfer recorded shows from one DVR to the other right?

Yes, I have the 8300HD and it;

1) Outputs Dolby EX 5.1 via both toslink and RCA output. As a bonus it has 96/24 DACs that decode and output VERY high quality STEREO sound from the digital music channels. I would put it's sound very close to CD, on some recordings it would be impossible to tell a difference at all.

2) Outputs Stereo and composite video for copying to either a DVR, or VCR. It also has S-video output, in addition to HDMI output. There's even a SATA harddrive link. I'm not sure if that's active though.

3) Can record two HD channels at the same time, or one channel and view another of your choice. (of course you can view either shows as you record too) That aside, one of the best features is that it records "on the fly" everything your tuned to whether your recording or not. I cant tell you how may times I've said "I want to see that again" and was able to time slip it back to see it.

I give the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD a 5 star rating. If your cable or satellite company is offering one I would recommend it without question. It's the best thing that you can get for your TV.

hershon
05-21-2005, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the link. You can get a good Lite On 5001 DVD Stand Alone recorder that's very good and easy to use for around $170 or so new online if you're not happy with VCR recordings. I rarely use my VCR anymore.

JeffKnob
05-21-2005, 06:11 PM
My service is through Time Warner. I have had my box for over 6 months. I had the regular nonHD 8000 before that.

I just connected my cable box to my receiver via an optical cable, a composite audio cable (for non-digital channels), and a component video cable. My receiver then switches automatically to the digital signal if it is available.

I have never used the outputs for recording so I don't know if they work or not.

As with the 8000 I can record two programs at one time but then I can only watch something already recorded. If I only have one thing recording I can watch another channel.

What is meant by the on the fly recording is this. Say you start watching a show, the box will record that show from the point you start watching it (if it is the beginning it will start from the beginning). This is in case you want to rewind and also if you decide half way through or at the end that you want to see that again you can select to record it and it will be able to save it from the beginning because it has been recording it on its own just in case.

Geoffcin
05-21-2005, 06:17 PM
Are you guys on Time Warner Cable & when did you get the 8300? Out here in LA, they've taken ages to finally make the 8300 available as opposed to the 8000 which I've had for a year or so. A few questions for you: 1.For 5.1 sound, do you just have to attach a fiber optic cable to your receiver from this as it didn't work with the 8000. 2. My 8000 had the external video & audio outputs but Time Warner never activated them. Have they actually activated the 8300? If not, is there a way to get someone to activate this for you? 3. On the 8000 I could record 2 channels (both can be HD) at the same time but I can't watch a third channel live. I'm sure this is still the case on the 8300. 4. What do you mean by on the fly recording? You don't mean that if you missed a show , you can go to the online guide and still record it, right? I'm getting mine on Friday. Oh, I only have a DVR for the living room. Do you think its a waste of money to buy one for the bedroom too as you can't
transfer recorded shows from one DVR to the other right?

I use the RCA digital output, but if you've got toslink it's the same. You'll only get DD-EX output from channels that deliver it. Most of the HD channels are all DD too. For my it's $10 a month for each unit. I no longer use TV in the bedroom, so I couldn't tell you if it was worth it or not.