05-21-2005, 08:17 AM
This place is a freekin tomb.

Please tell me where everyone is going.

Hey, no off topic posts here buddy.

Finch Platte
05-21-2005, 08:46 AM

I'm going to the store to pick up some beer. And I'm going to drink it AND THINK OFF-TOPIC THOUGHTS.

f (this) p

Troy
05-21-2005, 09:16 AM
http://www.progressiveears.com

Finch Platte
05-21-2005, 09:53 AM
http://www.progressiveears.com

...www.obner.org

f (this) p

tentoze
05-21-2005, 10:14 AM
The door is always open at the Music Forum on www.audiokarma.org

Finch Platte
05-21-2005, 10:58 AM
The door is always open at the Music Forum on www.audiokarma.org

Nice, thanks.

f (this) p

shokhead
05-21-2005, 01:41 PM
Off Topic belongs in{drum roll please} Off Topic,its really pretty easy.

Jim Clark
05-21-2005, 01:47 PM

Personally I hated Obner. Don't even think I've got it bookmarked anymore. Still read at Rocky Road but post once in a blue moon. I still read everything here daily just don't have the time for a bunch of replies most of the time. The people here are still the best. Well, I'm going to withhold judgement on one ding-a-ling that just started chimmng in but the rest of the non-moderating chaps and chapesses are still the best.

Oh, and it might be interesting to point out yet again that while this place is slow as of late there are still 2,000 more posts here than any other forum at AR and still they wanna jack with it. Unreal.

jc

Troy
05-21-2005, 02:06 PM
Clearly AR does not want us here unless we're talking about what they want us to talk about. Way to rigid, too "Big Brother" for my taste.

I hated obner too, Jim. Too "inside." Everybody knows everybody so well, that outsiders feel awkward trying to participate. Sounds familiar . . .

Rocky Road was a dinosaur filled tarpit last time I looked. Yech is a real snore. "Is this the 5 minute argument or the full half hour?"

That progears site aint for everyone either . . . but it's pretty wide open. That site's design allows for the viewer to combine the 2 forums (On Topic and Off Topic) so you can see everything going on there at the same time. Except for religion and politics (which tend to get contentious becasue there is a very large number of participants from all over the world), pretty much everything goes.

Is that audiokarma place free and easy about off topic? I'll do some poking around over there.

shokhead
05-21-2005, 03:34 PM
Are you recruiting for audiokarma?

MindGoneHaywire
05-21-2005, 03:43 PM

Oh, give me a break. Were you here when the moderators needlessly moved a post they deemed 'off topic,' then childishly locked a thread complaining about this unbelievably unnecessary action, and even refused to consider allowing someone to post a thread considered 'off-topic' for this forum in another forum, with a post in this forum to alert this forum's regulars to its presence via a link to the other forum? It's their site & they can do whatever they want with it, but they have repeatedly alienated & driven off posters who create the content on this forum--for years now. Is that how they want to grow traffic to this site & build participation in its forums?

Are you recruiting for stupidity?

Troy
05-21-2005, 04:08 PM

LOL, what are you gonna do, tell on us?

Gonna get the last 6 people that post at Rave Recs banned?

Wow.

Geoffcin
05-21-2005, 04:51 PM
I'm going to the store to pick up some beer. And I'm going to drink it AND THINK OFF-TOPIC THOUGHTS.

f (this) p

No reason to complain behind anyone's back. If you think I did you wrong, tell me to my face.

Geoffcin
05-21-2005, 04:59 PM
Clearly AR does not want us here unless we're talking about what they want us to talk about. Way to rigid, too "Big Brother" for my taste.

I moved a couple threads that I thought were FUNNY, and off topic enough that the people in the General Forum might get a kick out of and want to possibly contribute to. I'm NOT trying to stop your fun in R-R AT ALL.

I think if you saw as it was ment you would consider it an Honorable thing, not as "Big Brother" telling what and where you can post.

Geoffcin
05-21-2005, 05:07 PM
Oh, give me a break. Were you here when the moderators needlessly moved a post they deemed 'off topic,' then childishly locked a thread complaining about this unbelievably unnecessary action, and even refused to consider allowing someone to post a thread considered 'off-topic' for this forum in another forum, with a post in this forum to alert this forum's regulars to its presence via a link to the other forum? It's their site & they can do whatever they want with it, but they have repeatedly alienated & driven off posters who create the content on this forum--for years now. Is that how they want to grow traffic to this site & build participation in its forums?

Are you recruiting for stupidity?

You guys can have your exculsive sandbox to play in as far as I'm concerned. If you want to complain about AR that's OK too. But If I can do something to rectify a percieved wrong, please TELL ME, so I can fix it. Otherwise I would never know.

shokhead
05-21-2005, 05:11 PM
LOL, what are you gonna do, tell on us?

Gonna get the last 6 people that post at Rave Recs banned?

Wow.

Why? I wouldnt ban anyone except trouble makers,feeling guilty? :D

Finch Platte
05-22-2005, 04:03 AM
Personally I hated Obner.jc

Did you give it a chance? I can see why Troy might not like it (not really his style(s) of music), but it took me a while to feel comfortable, but I didn't even introduce myself- I just jumped right in.

Aw, sh!t, I dunno.

I'm gonna go give it a rest. I forgot I'm supposed to be boycotting this place for a day. Got up too early. :rolleyes:

fp

Finch Platte
05-22-2005, 04:29 AM
Why? I wouldnt ban anyone except trouble makers,feeling guilty? :D

Oh, that's rich.

fp

BeeOK
05-22-2005, 05:07 AM
I hated obner too, Jim. Too "inside." Everybody knows everybody so well, that outsiders feel awkward trying to participate. Sounds familiar . . .

Hey guys it's your old friend from Obner. I haven't lurked on this board for ages but wanted to say a few things.

I really liked all of you that came over to our little board as I feel you guys really know music and especially liked Davey. I tried, whether you saw it or not, to make you as comfortable as possible. Jim is right but believe that he never gave Obner enough of a chance to see if it really works. All the rest of you have and have an opinion on it but won't name names but still seem to post.

I have been getting frustrated with Obner as they seem to be caring about topping on pizza more than talking about its bread and butter, music. So I have had enough but will always love CMJ/Obner because it is where I cut my teeth on music boards over three years ago and will always be my home in the long run.

So I needed a new board and check out quite a few. The Hip board is a joke and all others, like this one, are just too small for my taste, no offence. I finally found a board that is about as geeky as you can get regarding music. It is http://ilx.p3r.net/newanswers.php?board=2 well that is my bookmark at least. The main board is really two boards and is called I Love Music based in the U.K. (ilXor.com) and might be the biggest music board on the net. It really is an intimidating place and has been hard for me to feel comfortable. Why? Well because you have all the writers of major magazines who post there. Say you really took offence on what happened on Pitchforkmedia on a certain day and post about it. Well in a few hours you will get the person who wrote the bit or Ryan Pitchfork himself responding to what it is all about unless it ridicules. Also people from CMJ, Stylus, NME, Guardian and MOJO will respond and post all the time. It is really a hard board to break into because it has been around forever but the reward is amazing, IMO. 100% of the post are about music unless you go to the I Love Everything part of the board. I started this year and still feel like an outsider but getting better everyday.

Questions PM me over at Obner and I will get back to you but I won't be posting there for a few more weeks but will check PM's, just taking a break.

Jim Clark
05-22-2005, 06:15 AM
I have been getting frustrated with Obner as they seem to be caring about topping on pizza more than talking about its bread and butter, music. So I have had enough but will always love CMJ/Obner because it is where I cut my teeth on music boards over three years ago and will always be my home in the long run.

Hey, I know that name! Well, welcome to the digs here. Without doing too much back peddaling, perhaps I should clarify. Hating Obner is in fact what I meant, perhaps not for the reasons you might think. It was the reality of the board and how it worked and not the people there that didn't work for me. It is a very fast paced board in a constant state of motion. There were so many people and so many threads that it was impossible for me to stay current. I simply don't have the time to spend there separating the wheat from the chaffe. On a functional basis, the place doesn't work for me right now and I am certain I posted as much on Obner when I got blasted for posting a topic that had been discussed earlier that day in a thread that I finally found already buried three pages back. I just don't always have the time to spend to make it work.

'course this place is slow especially now and that's gonna be a problem for others. Suits me better is all. My current obsession is lossless bootlegs. The forums and pages and www.dimeadozen.org (formerly EZ Torrent) are keeping me buried in music, new and old. Love the old Siouxisie and Clash boots and also get fully stocked in The Kills and LCD Soundsystem. It's all there for the d/l and it's been an absolute blast. Over the past few months I've literally d'l'ed hundreds of shows from bands and eras that are all over the map. Consequently not too much time for this site either.

At any rate, it was awesome to see you here BeeOk.

tentoze
05-22-2005, 06:59 AM
Seems like the only thing that riles this bunch up and gets 'em posting is when a Mod comes wading in with bazookas. ;]