what is best powered sub for this system? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : what is best powered sub for this system?

bobnf
05-20-2005, 02:51 PM
Hi, I have the Denon 5700, NHT 2.9's and NHT AC2 center and rears. The 5700 does not supply enough power for the 2.9's. I wish to add a powered sub. NHT has the SW10, SW12, U1 & U2. I have a 600 sq ft room. Any educated suggestions on the best way to improve the sub experience?

Thanks

Woochifer
05-20-2005, 05:32 PM
What's your indication that the receiver's not providing enough power? Is it distorting?

With a room of your size, you might want to consider two 12" subs, or one 15" sub. 600 sq.ft. is a lot of room to cover, and you'll need a sub that can move a lot of air. I recently visited someone who had an NHT ST4/SB3 system with two SW12 subs, and those things worked very well with his room, which was probably about the same size as yours. The room acoustics in his case did not present as much of a challenge as it normally does in smaller rooms, and that two sub setup produced some very deep and well rendered bass.

But, just because you use NHT, there's no reason not to consider other options like Velodyne, Paradigm, REL, Sunfire, or mail order options like SVS, Rocket, Hsu, and Adire.

Geoffcin
05-20-2005, 05:57 PM
Hi, I have the Denon 5700, NHT 2.9's and NHT AC2 center and rears. The 5700 does not supply enough power for the 2.9's. I wish to add a powered sub. NHT has the SW10, SW12, U1 & U2. I have a 600 sq ft room. Any educated suggestions on the best way to improve the sub experience?

Thanks

In a room that size anything but dual subs would be not enough for me. Well, maybe a Velodyne DD18" would cut it too.

N. Abstentia
05-20-2005, 09:54 PM
What's your budget for a sub?

bobnf
05-21-2005, 09:50 AM
What's your budget for a sub?

Thats a great question... Well.... obviously I want to lighten my wallet as little as possible... that said... I want to feel the room when the T-Rex screams in Jurrasic Park. I am comfortable spending $750... if spending $1,200 I will get me a jaw dropping experience... than I will.
Thanks for your input.

bobnf
05-21-2005, 10:03 AM
I could add an amp to the system to provide more power to the 10" subs in the 2.9's. That might increase the overall performance of the system. Wouldn't I get more clarity in the mid's and the high's that way?

Or is adding a powered sub better, it would be less strain on the 2.9's and probably more bass, but no additional clarity in the mids/highs.

Geoffcin
05-21-2005, 10:59 AM
Thats a great question... Well.... obviously I want to lighten my wallet as little as possible... that said... I want to feel the room when the T-Rex screams in Jurrasic Park. I am comfortable spending $750... if spending $1,200 I will get me a jaw dropping experience... than I will.
Thanks for your input.

That should get you a decent 15" sub. You also might want to consider a seperate amp for your NHT mains. It WILL make a difference, and not just in the bass.

shokhead
05-21-2005, 01:44 PM
Thanks for your input.

For a little more then half of that,you can get an SVS that will blow your balls off. Maybe an HSU also but i lean towards SVS. :D

bobnf
05-21-2005, 03:32 PM
[QUOTE=Woochifer]What's your indication that the receiver's not providing enough power? Is it distorting?

The sound is not distorting, I am just not getting the type of chair shaking base from the non-powered subs on the 2.9's. It is kind of a funky room, somewhat V shaped with vaulted ceilings.

I could power the subs seperately with an amp. I don't know if that would better than a really nice powered sub or dual subs. I guess I could go buy both, try them out and return the lesser. Although, I am not fond of that path.