How import is the speaker plugs on the wires? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How import is the speaker plugs on the wires?

m500
05-19-2005, 12:37 PM
Just how import is the speaker plugs on the wires? I thought by plug the wire directly to the terminal offer the best contact. Anything else would just be cosmetic and another obsticle.

gonefishin
05-19-2005, 08:40 PM
Anything else would just be cosmetic and another obsticle.

It would be another obstacle.

dan

E-Stat
05-20-2005, 10:10 AM
Just how import is the speaker plugs on the wires? I thought by plug the wire directly to the terminal offer the best contact. Anything else would just be cosmetic and another obsticle.
There are two considerations: contact area and minimization of oxidation.

There are some amplifiers, especially receivers, that either don't offer or make it difficult for a broad contact area using spades or bare wire. Banana plugs are superior in that case.

Bare wires tend to oxidize more quickly and that will run down the length of the wire. I prefer speaker wires that use spades or bananas that are soldered to the wire and use heat shrunk insulation to offer a better seal to minimize that effect.

rw

JBMAudio.com
05-24-2005, 05:25 PM
There are two considerations: contact area and minimization of oxidation.

There are some amplifiers, especially receivers, that either don't offer or make it difficult for a broad contact area using spades or bare wire. Banana plugs are superior in that case.

Bare wires tend to oxidize more quickly and that will run down the length of the wire. I prefer speaker wires that use spades or bananas that are soldered to the wire and use heat shrunk insulation to offer a better seal to minimize that effect.

rw

This is correct. Bare wires are the best connectors, UNTIL they start to oxidize, which is why putting different connectors on your speaker wire make sense. this would help stop the oxidzation process, or at least pro long it, depending on how well the seal is