In wall wiring question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : In wall wiring question

csrusa77
05-18-2005, 06:53 PM
I wired a surround sound system with inwall speakers all around. I used regular 18 guage speaker wire. I also ran this wire for the sub through the wall to the back of the room (about 40 feet) I connected RCA jacks to each end of the wire but the sub doesn't work through this connection.

I know the wire is in good shape so I think I'm using the wrong connectors or maybe I just attached the connectors to the wire incorrectly.

Any help would be appreciated.

nightflier
05-18-2005, 07:02 PM
I wired a surround sound system with inwall speakers all around. I used regular 18 guage speaker wire. I also ran this wire for the sub through the wall to the back of the room (about 40 feet) I connected RCA jacks to each end of the wire but the sub doesn't work through this connection.

I know the wire is in good shape so I think I'm using the wrong connectors or maybe I just attached the connectors to the wire incorrectly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Are you saying you terminated regular speaker wire with RCA's?

csrusa77
05-19-2005, 06:01 AM
Are you saying you terminated regular speaker wire with RCA's?

Yes.
I attached RCA plugs to each end of the speaker wire.

nightflier
05-19-2005, 05:50 PM
Yes.
I attached RCA plugs to each end of the speaker wire.

You'll need to purchase long-distance in-wall RCA cables instead and run those to the sub instead.

csrusa77
05-20-2005, 02:14 PM
Oh, I didn't know they made in-wall RCA cables.
Thanks, I'll try to find that cable.

nightflier
05-20-2005, 02:50 PM
Oh, I didn't know they made in-wall RCA cables.
Thanks, I'll try to find that cable.

What I meant by in-wall, is sturdy and corrosion-resistant, the type you would find at a hardware store. Although that probably won't be high-quality. If you want hi-fi, you'll have to pay a lot more for this type of cable. The best solution in that case would be to order this custom-made by one of the name-brand manufacturers like Monster or AudioQuest.

Tahoe Gator
05-20-2005, 07:15 PM
No, no, no. What you want to use is coaxial cable, e.g., "RG-6" coax like your cable company uses. Put the standard "F" connectors on each end and then use "F" to "RCA" converters to make the connections at the sub and receiver. Better yet, terminate each end of the coax with a RCA wall plate and then just use a regular RCA cable for the short distance. The reason you need coax is that it is "shielded" ... in other words, like RCA cables, the conductor is inside a shield and thus protected from interference. Don't buy a 40 foot RCA cable ... RG-6 is much less expensive and works just as well or better if you use high quality cable.

csrusa77
05-25-2005, 06:08 AM
thanks gator

garmonjo
06-04-2005, 03:39 AM
No, no, no. What you want to use is coaxial cable, e.g., "RG-6" coax like your cable company uses. Put the standard "F" connectors on each end and then use "F" to "RCA" converters to make the connections at the sub and receiver. Better yet, terminate each end of the coax with a RCA wall plate and then just use a regular RCA cable for the short distance. The reason you need coax is that it is "shielded" ... in other words, like RCA cables, the conductor is inside a shield and thus protected from interference. Don't buy a 40 foot RCA cable ... RG-6 is much less expensive and works just as well or better if you use high quality cable.

Do you have any advice for running in-wall speaker wire to rear speakers? I plan on using 12g wire. I want to get the wire set before the drywall goes up.

Thanks!

Tahoe Gator
06-04-2005, 11:19 AM
Do you have any advice for running in-wall speaker wire to rear speakers? I plan on using 12g wire. I want to get the wire set before the drywall goes up.

Thanks!

The only real advice is to keep the cables away from power wires as much as possible. If you have to cross them, try to do so at as close to a 90-degree angle as possible (basically, avoid running parallel to power).

Use electrical boxes, of course, where the plates will go. Put them at the same height as power outlets so they don't stand out. Use plates with connectors for a clean look (don't run the wire itself all the way to the speaker).

Run extra wires wherever you think you might ever want speakers. 7.1 in the future? Might rearrange furniture, etc. You don't have to use all the wires.

Label everything at both ends. Saves time down the road.

Good luck