heck, they're only $5.99! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : heck, they're only $5.99!

newtrix1
05-18-2005, 08:26 AM
I was browsing YOURMUSIC.com's "the best albums you've never heard" list and actually came across a few I've never heard ;). Below are a few titles that I'm unfamiliar with, but caught my eye. The description is from the YOURMUSIC website.
I know The Stills have been discussed here. Anyone have any advice on which of these I should add/not add to my queue?

The Kings Of Convenience
Riot On An Empty Street

Lush, hushed, lovely, introspective pop on the Norwegian duo's fourth set. Homesick, Love Is No Big Truth, Misread, Surprise Ice, etc.

Longwave
The Strangest Things

NYC band layers its dream-pop w/evocative guitar textures. Day Sleeper, All Sewn Up, Wake Me When It's Over, The Strangest Things, The Ghosts Around You, more.

Over The Rhine
Ohio

Dreamlike, largely acoustic indie-pop w/poetic lyrics & crystalline female vocals. What I'll Remember Most, Lifelong Fling, Remind Us, She, Suitcase, Fool, more.

Rooney
Rooney

Irresistible pure-pop debut from young rockers reveling in tight harmonies & chiming guitars. Blueside, I'm Shakin', Stay Away, Simply Because, Daisy Duke, Popstars, etc.

Stellastarr*
Stellastarr*

Synthed-out 1980s new wave collides with '90s indie rock on this very 2003 debut album. Jenny, Somewhere Across Forever, My Coco, Moongirl, Pulp Song, A Million Reasons, more.

The Stills
Logic Will Break Your Heart

Arty rock w/new-wave leanings from NYC-by-way-of-Montreal unit. Still In Love Song, Lola Stars And Stripes, Gender Bombs, Alison Krauss, more.

Rachael Yamagata
Happenstance

Sultry, sophisticated, silky-smooth torch songs from Chicago singer/songwriter. Worn Me Down, Meet Me By The Water, Reason Why, 1963, Paper Doll, etc.

Davey
05-18-2005, 08:41 AM
Over The Rhine
Ohio

Dreamlike, largely acoustic indie-pop w/poetic lyrics & crystalline female vocals. What I'll Remember Most, Lifelong Fling, Remind Us, She, Suitcase, Fool, more.

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/reviews.htm#Over_The_Rhine_Ohio

Heard some of the others but don't have a copy except for that Stills album which is very nice and is a big fave of a couple yokels around here, although to borrow a line from my favorite band of the moment, I just never got that elusive "everything hits at once" feel from it. Objects in your rear view mirror may appear closer, though....

Mr MidFi
05-18-2005, 11:05 AM
Rachel Yamagata's single from that disc, "Worn Me Down," is a catchy cut that received some airplay here in the Chicago market. I liked it fine the first 10 times I heard it. Haven't heard the rest of the disc yet.

Jim Clark
05-18-2005, 03:32 PM
KEXPMF sent me a set of comps and the second has a Longwave track, "Wake Me When It's Over" that pretty much rules. Dreampop, a little shoegazing, highly melodic. It's one of the tracks I had intended to inspect further. don't know if you'd like it though. The vocals are so creamy smooth that if it wasn't for the washed out guitar it would make a great synthpop track. Based on what I've heard, RIYL Cocteau Twins, MBV, The Prids.

jc

newtrix1
05-18-2005, 05:27 PM
ceedees for $5.99...you can take a chance and not feel bad if an album turns out like that picture Finch posted !

Thanks for the info guys, I'll probably add that Over the Rhine to my ever growing queue (up to about 18 now) and keep an ear out for the others.

Dusty Chalk
05-18-2005, 08:06 PM
My shoegazer friend is friends with Longwave -- they've opened for each other. I'd highly recommend them. But then again, I'd recommend my friend's music, possibly even more...if he actually had an album out (at this point, he could debut with a killer 3-CD boxset, if he would just put it out).

I need to hear that Stellastarr* -- sounds like ThaKindaMusikAyeWouldLike.