Sub Cable -In wall [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sub Cable -In wall

csrusa77
05-17-2005, 06:41 PM
I wired a surround sound system with inwall speakers all around. I used regular 18 guage speaker wire. I also ran this wire for the sub through the wall to the back of the room (about 40 feet) I connected RCA jacks to each end of the wire but the sub doesn't work through this connection.

I know the wire is in good shape so I think I'm using the wrong connectors or maybe I just attached the connectors to the wire incorrectly.

Any help would be appreciated.

JBMAudio.com
05-24-2005, 05:29 PM
I wired a surround sound system with inwall speakers all around. I used regular 18 guage speaker wire. I also ran this wire for the sub through the wall to the back of the room (about 40 feet) I connected RCA jacks to each end of the wire but the sub doesn't work through this connection.

I know the wire is in good shape so I think I'm using the wrong connectors or maybe I just attached the connectors to the wire incorrectly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ok some questions.

This wire you are speaking of, it is from your sub amp or to your sub amp? I.E. Line level, or speaker level input?

If it is a line level, using speaker wire isn't the best choice. That said:

First thing to try would be a continuity test with a volt meter. Try that, if you have good continuity, let me know and we will go from there.

csrusa77
05-25-2005, 06:05 AM
I posted this question again in another section and this is the reply I recieved.

What you want to use is coaxial cable, e.g., "RG-6" coax like your cable company uses. Put the standard "F" connectors on each end and then use "F" to "RCA" converters to make the connections at the sub and receiver. Better yet, terminate each end of the coax with a RCA wall plate and then just use a regular RCA cable for the short distance. The reason you need coax is that it is "shielded" ... in other words, like RCA cables, the conductor is inside a shield and thus protected from interference. Don't buy a 40 foot RCA cable ... RG-6 is much less expensive and works just as well or better if you use high quality cable.