Wanna save 10-14 bucks? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Wanna save 10-14 bucks?

Finch Platte
05-17-2005, 06:17 PM
Go to your nearest CD emporium. Pick up the new System of a Down disc, Mezmerize. Put it back down.

Go home, put on SoaD's Toxicity.

You're welcome.

fp

ForeverAutumn
05-17-2005, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the warning!

Jim Clark
05-17-2005, 08:08 PM
I can double your savings. Leave them both on the shelf.

jc

DarrenH
05-18-2005, 04:50 AM
I can double your savings. Leave them both on the shelf.

jc

Ain't that the truth. BLECH!

Dave_G
05-18-2005, 04:57 AM
I save myself a fortune by not buying most music. I steal it.

Dave

Jim Clark
05-18-2005, 06:14 AM
I save myself a fortune by not buying most music. I steal it.

Dave

Oh yeah? Well I can make money on it. I pirate it and then sell it on card tables at the flea market.

jc

Finch Platte
05-18-2005, 06:54 AM
Oh yeah? Well I can make money on it. I pirate it and then sell it on card tables at the flea market.

jc

Yeah??

Those card tables you're using? Thought they were real, dincha?

I made 'em. They're copies.

fp

Dave_G
05-18-2005, 07:17 AM
Quoting Cheech from Cheech & Chong :

"Hey man, someone ripped off the things that I ripped off!"

Dave

newtrix1
05-18-2005, 11:20 AM
Ain't that the truth. BLECH!

Just finished giving Mezmerize an initial listen and my first impression was positive. Knowing that this album was coming out, I pulled Toxicity out for a spin 2 weeks ago, then yesterday I listened to Steal This Disc in the car. I'd rate Mez right square in between these 2 releases.
Imo Toxicity will be one of those long term albums that I'll be playing with some regularity for a long time. It's just solid with several great tracks. Steal This Disc, in comparison, was disappointing to me, very much a roller coaster album with the best tracks sounding liked rehashed songs from Toxicity. Mezmerize has their trademark shout-sing vocals and machine gun, sledgehammer guitar, but also has it's own personality. Lyrics are typical over-the-top, sometimes vulgar, repetitive enunciations, but I gotta admit they sometimes had me suppressing a burst of laughter. Not sure if these guys expect us listeners to take their poliical & social criticisms seriously, or if they intend to be tongue-in-cheek (perhaps both?).
Anyhow, System of Down has created a unique style (yeah, I know, they pull from some other artists), when you hear almost any song by these guys you know it's them. If I was to grade their albums, I'd give: Toxicity A-, Steal This Disc C, and Mezmerize (an early) B+.
As a few others here have discovered the hard way, I surely recommend listening before buying, but NOT at a listening station. This band is like Tequilla, your initial reaction might be to spit it out, but if you can get it down your throat, the party begins.

Slosh
05-18-2005, 12:50 PM
Hey Feces Platte, I'll take it off your hands. Not for me, but I have a friend who plays them over and over and over again and is kinda tight financially at the moment. I could even trade you something if you'd like.

BTW Trickster, it's called Steal This Album. Now go and edit your post! :p

NP: American Analog Set/White Magic split - Songs Of Hurt And Healing

newtrix1
05-18-2005, 01:38 PM

[/i]

Thanks for the "spell check", but I'm too lazy to actually change it. :o

Slosh
05-18-2005, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the "spell check", but I'm too lazy to actually change it. :o
And yet you found time to teach a left-handed monkey to play guitar. Hmmm :rolleyes:

NP: Spoon - Gimme Fiction (LP :cool: )

Dusty Chalk
05-18-2005, 08:01 PM
Reminds me of a schtick that Craig Kilbourn once did. He starts out by giving this big long introduction, and a voice-over, and theme music and titles, and it's called, "Craig has a better idea". It starts with him listening to Sade's new album, then he says, "no, wait a minute...", fidgets around under his desk for a second, then her old album (track was "Smooth Operator") comes on, and he looks relieved. That was Craig has a Better Idea...

Finch Platte
05-19-2005, 04:45 AM
Reminds me of a schtick that Craig Kilbourn once did. He starts out by giving this big long introduction, and a voice-over, and theme music and titles, and it's called, "Craig has a better idea". It starts with him listening to Sade's new album, then he says, "no, wait a minute...", fidgets around under his desk for a second, then her old album (track was "Smooth Operator") comes on, and he looks relieved. That was Craig has a Better Idea...

I miss that show. It's curious to me that Conan can go on and on and on in his old, stale way, and Leno can go on and on and on in his old, unfunny way, but a show like Kilbourn just ends rather abruptly.

He quit, right?

I'll bet we (posters of this forum) could write a pretty good comedy show...

fp

Finch Platte
05-19-2005, 04:47 AM
Hey Feces Platte, I'll take it off your hands. Not for me, but I have a friend who plays them over and over and over again and is kinda tight financially at the moment. I could even trade you something if you'd like.

NP: American Analog Set/White Magic split - Songs Of Hurt And Healing

Thanks for the "offer", but I can get $5-6 bucks in trade for it.

I could send a copy along, tho...?

fp

newtrix1
05-19-2005, 05:49 AM

fp

I think until tomorrow or Saturday.

Slosh
05-19-2005, 01:24 PM

fp
Thanks but don't bother. I hear SOADuh too much now as it is.

While I'm still in the giving mood, I could take every other paycheck off your hands. Am I not generous? :)

Slosh
05-27-2005, 06:39 AM
My friend brought Mezmerize over last night. I dunno, sounds pretty much like all of the other SoaD albums to me except with a different singer on a bunch of the songs, although I should point out I'm really not very into them. Man, what awful sonics. How can a band with this much commercial sucess record an album with sound quality this bad? Sounds like they mastered it on a ten year old notebook PC.