Subwoofer comes On anytime a large vehicle drive by. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer comes On anytime a large vehicle drive by.

Smokey
05-16-2005, 05:06 PM
I wonder if anybody else have this problem.

Just moved to a new apartment on third floor (right next to busy street), and anytime a large truck or bus drives by, and system is off, I can hear subwoofer clicking On. The sub is one of those auto-signal-detecting type, and I'm assuming the vibration from large vehicle on the street causing sub to come on. The sub is sitting on carpet.

It is not a big problem. But if there is an easy solution, I might consider it.

Thanks.

Astro
05-17-2005, 12:57 AM
I wonder if anybody else have this problem.

Just moved to a new apartment on third floor (right next to busy street), and anytime a large truck or bus drives by, and system is off, I can hear subwoofer clicking On. The sub is one of those auto-signal-detecting type, and I'm assuming the vibration from large vehicle on the street causing sub to come on. The sub is sitting on carpet.

It is not a big problem. But if there is an easy solution, I might consider it.

Thanks.

thats wicked! ive never heard of that happening, i have however had a sub that turned on when the lights were switced off in the house, somthing to do with earth or sumthing

cheers

kexodusc
05-17-2005, 04:12 AM
Smokey, most of those auto-on features are triggered by some low signal reaching the amps circuitry. I haven't got a clue how a truck driving by is triggering this, vibration or not...a truck shouldn't be sending signal to the sub. The amps are always on standby so maybe something is shaking inside the amp circuitry?
I have heard voltage spikes of small scales doing the same. Unless it's picking up the radio-frequencies the truckers/buses use?

This is quite a mystery...

Worf101
05-17-2005, 06:07 AM
Call the Archdiocese... ask for "Father Merrin", he'll give you the hookup. They've a special on "exorcisms" this week, half off. LOL, sorry man. what brand of sub? How close to the outside wall? Try switchin plugs or circuits.

Da Worfster :cool:

Smokey
05-17-2005, 05:42 PM
Thanks guys for suggestions.

The Subwoofer is RCA 10 inch sub (2 years old), and it is not too close to wall. The reason I am assuming is vibration from street is because for test, jiggle the sub slightly and it comes on. Kexodusc mentioned that maybe something is shaking inside the amp circuitry. And that might be it. Might be just too sensitive.

You guys don't know how close my apartment is to street. Anytime a large truck or big bus drives by, I can see their roof right passing under my window. I hope non of the drivers loss control or they be in my living room with sub On :D

kexodusc
05-18-2005, 04:31 AM
Jiggling the sub shouldn't engage the auto-on circuitry anymore than jiggling a tv should turn it on. There's something going on inside that thing. If it was under warranty I'd suggest getting it looked at, but since it's 2 years old and possibly not, best just to leave it if all else is fine.
You could probably find some sort of isolation padding to insulate the sub from the vibrations caused by the traffic.

topspeed
05-18-2005, 09:03 AM
OK, in the last week or so we've had possesed remotes and now subs that like to turn on by themselves.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm going to turn on all the light in my house and hide underneath my covers!

Where's my teddy?!?

Worf101
05-18-2005, 10:54 AM
OK, in the last week or so we've had possesed remotes and now subs that like to turn on by themselves.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm going to turn on all the light in my house and hide underneath my covers!

Where's my teddy!!!

ROTFLMBBAO

Da Worfster :cool: :D