Grease?????? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Grease??????

oddeoowphil38
05-16-2005, 02:45 PM
Hello fellow members. I need to know what I can use to clean the front of my yammie receiver. I was eating some chips the other day when I decided to turn on my receiver for a little music action. I had no idea my finger prints would be all over the front. Besides, who could eat just one chip right....lol. Anyways, I used a little damp cloth to try and get the prints off but to no avail. It is the grease from the chips. Any suggestions on how to get it off? Please speak up cause I am tired of seeing it on there. Thank you for your time.
Phil

Wireworm5
05-16-2005, 06:14 PM
I have one of those jet stream steamers. That would take that fingerprint off of there in a jiffy. I think something like Windex should do the job too. But if its a really tough stain use Easy Off oven cleaner cold formula, that will take off the toughest baked on grease. :)

oddeoowphil38
05-17-2005, 05:14 AM
LOL worm. It is good to have a sense of humor. But, dont you think windex might be a bit harsh? I guess I can try it and see. Do you know of anything else that I could use? Let me know.

kexodusc
05-17-2005, 05:22 AM
I take a bit of dish soap and fill up a sink abit, then soak a cloth...ring it so it's just a bit damp, but not dripping, enough that the grease-fighting action formula remains...bring a drying cloth too...
Wax on, wax off.
No more grease...nothing works better than dish soap.
And it's pretty easy on the gear if you don't soak it....use your judgement...and in the future, use your remote when yer fingers are all greasy.

Resident Loser
05-17-2005, 05:34 AM
...will work...spray it on the rag, not your gear...

"...and in the future, use your remote when yer fingers are all greasy..."

Except then the remote(which may be harder to clean with alll dem little buttons) will get funky...

Here's a better idea: WASH YER HANDS...if your gear is dirty, imagine all the cr@p on your clothes, furniture and upholstery, pets...

jimHJJ(...and people wonder why they get sick!!!???...)

oddeoowphil38
05-17-2005, 04:00 PM
Kex, it is almost like the karate kid eh? You know wipe on wipe off........lol. Hey, maybe just use me ex old ladies undies? Ewwwwwwwwww now that would be bad........j/k. Heck I needed a good laugh. Have a good one people
Phil

Rock789
05-20-2005, 01:52 PM
Windex should work just fine.... I don't think he was joking...
just spray it on the rag, not the receiver to prevent it from running inside...

I 2nd the washing your hands 1st method...

Mike

bjornb17
05-20-2005, 02:02 PM
if you're having a hard time getting it off of the receiver, imagine trying to get if off of you intestines :)

GlenNewdick
05-23-2005, 04:48 AM
[QUOTE=oddeoowphil38]Hello fellow members. I need to know what I can use to clean the front of my yammie receiver. I was eating some chips the other day when I decided to turn on my receiver for a little music action. I had no idea my finger prints would be all over the front. Besides, who could eat just one chip right....lol. Anyways, I used a little damp cloth to try and get the prints off but to no avail. It is the grease from the chips. Any suggestions on how to get it off? Please speak up cause I am tired of seeing it on there. Thank you for your time.
Phil

Well have to say you guys are nuts. DO NOT use window cleaner or Oven cleaners way to abrasive and or has etching quality's. If its painted metal use a good quality paint cleaner and finish off with a pure carnuba wax with no abrasives it will be shiny clean and the wax protects the finish. I use a good car wax on my Cary's at least two times a year with excellent results. yes its time consuming. you could use any mild soap with water but it will leave streaks and dry out the paint over long term. Ok try it on a small spot too see first. oh PS wax can also be used on bare metal but if its a brushed finish you will have a heck of a time getting all the wax off so use discretion and try first.

MikeyBC
05-23-2005, 07:56 PM
Dampening (not soaking wet!)a soft paper towel with ammonia free windex will work fine and will be completly streak free, just dont get it dirty again. If its a yamaha reciever its probably a plastic faceplate made to look like brushed aluminum.