JM Lab or Klipsch? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : JM Lab or Klipsch?

mika
05-16-2005, 03:11 AM
Hello everybody.
I had the chance to audition a few days ago in separate stores JM lab's cobalt 816 and Klipsch RF-35.I liked both speakers,each one for different reasons.I liked the mids,the "air" of JM Lab and also the fact that it isn't a tiring speaker for the ear.Really sweet speaker!
Then i audition the Klipsch.Although i heard it right out of the box and it weren't broken in i also liked them.Superb mids and high's,crystal clear sound.You could understand if the singer had a cold!(But i think that they didn't have the "air",the spaciousness of the JM Lab's.I don't know if this happened because they were not broken in).
The problem is that i don't know if they would tire my ears after hours of listening to them.
Anyone got any ideas about this?

jt1stcav
05-21-2005, 07:05 AM
I'm a Klipsch fan who's had a pair of vintage Heritage Series Cornwalls in our family since ' 79, so I've been very impressed with their "in-your-face" sonic characteristics (either you love it or you don't!), especially with live music. Good source components and amplification make these loudspeakers sing, but mediocre gear and poor recordings can peel the paint right off your walls (horns are known for sometimes sounding harsh and shrill). I'm not familiar with Klipsch's Reference Series, but from what I've read they all sound great (even better after breaking in). I can't tell you if you'll tire of the RF-35s after long listening sessions (listening fatique can be a problem, but again only if they're mated with substandard equipment and poor sources...my Cornwalls and tube gear are made for eachother; a perfect match). You'll have to listen to them yourself with your own components and music and judge for yourself. Good luck in your search.

Florian
05-21-2005, 07:54 AM
I think that Klipsch and tubes are a pretty cool combination. Both have strong characters. Power and finesse go very good with Klipsch. A powerfull tube would be good.

-Flo

PS: Generally french and british speaker tend to sound warm and people seek this. The klipsch can be very revealing, which is good.

RGA
05-21-2005, 11:35 AM
Just spend more time with both and see what you like --- and of course try out other speakers. Longer sessions would be a good way to see if they are a bit fatiguing to you.

Horns are not for everyone but then neither are JM Labs so listen and decide.

theaudiohobby
05-21-2005, 04:34 PM
PS: Generally french and british speaker tend to sound warm and people seek this....

Boy oh boy...this so not the case...many french and british speakers fall outside this categorisation.

Geoffcin
05-21-2005, 04:45 PM
Hello everybody.
I had the chance to audition a few days ago in separate stores JM lab's cobalt 816 and Klipsch RF-35.I liked both speakers,each one for different reasons.I liked the mids,the "air" of JM Lab and also the fact that it isn't a tiring speaker for the ear.Really sweet speaker!
Then i audition the Klipsch.Although i heard it right out of the box and it weren't broken in i also liked them.Superb mids and high's,crystal clear sound.You could understand if the singer had a cold!(But i think that they didn't have the "air",the spaciousness of the JM Lab's.I don't know if this happened because they were not broken in).
The problem is that i don't know if they would tire my ears after hours of listening to them.
Anyone got any ideas about this?

Your going to be living with these speakers for a long time. It's best to get a speaker that impresses you, AND you can live with long term.

Florian
05-21-2005, 04:51 PM
Boy oh boy...this so not the case...many french and british speakers fall outside this categorisation.
Please get off my back. Since this is from my experiecne, you cant say different unless its counted not as a fact but solely on your opinion.

-Flo

mika
05-31-2005, 11:39 AM
Now here's my ideas.
1)Buy the Klipsch and Primaluna Prologue Two tube integrated amplifier for 2-channel stereo and yamaha rxv650 plus a 5.1 speaker system for home theater.
2)Buy the Klipsch and the yamaha and then add an amplifier like Rotel's rb1070 or the 5-channel rb1075 and use the yamaha as a pre-amplifier.
What do you people think of that?
And something else;can i connect the klipsch with both the tube amplifier and the yamaha and use the primaluna for 2-channel and the yamaha for HT?
Thank you for your time guys.