good drum music [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : good drum music

hmmmm
05-16-2005, 02:55 AM
Anyone have any recommendations for cd's with a good drummer(s)? I have Blue Man Group in DVD-A and am open to all kinds of music except... country:)
Thanks!

kexodusc
05-16-2005, 03:40 AM
Well, my 2 favorite drummers by far are Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater and Neil Peart of Rush...
Peart is a legend plain and simple for drummers.
You'll have to like progressive rock to tolerate either of them and probably be friendly to heavier music with Dream Theater...I cannot think of any current drummers that can touch what Portnoy does...whether you're a fan of his band's music is another question.
For more laid-back bluesy-rock stuff - check out Gov't Mule...Matt Abts is always solid and knows when to step back...something I find a lot of talented drummers have a hard time with.

20to20K
05-16-2005, 05:04 AM
...check out anything with Dennis Chambers on drums:
He's got two solos CD's that are excellent...but they're japanese imports which may
be hard to find. Some of his other best work can be found on:

John Scofield - Loud Jazz, Pick hits, Blue Matter
Bob Berg - Cycles
Mike Stern - Jigsaw
Victor Bailey - Low Blow
John McGlaughlin - Heart of the Matter
Tom Coster - Forbidden Zone
CAB - CAB1, CAB2, CAB3, CAB4
Niacin - Niacin

My favorite rock drummer is Neal Peart...and he's already been covered.

ForeverAutumn
05-16-2005, 05:06 AM
Peart and Portnoy were the first two that immediately came to my mind also. My hubby is a drummer and his favourite (aside from Peart) is Terry Bozzio.

If you want a good compilation of drummers, there's two disk's called Burning for Buddy (volumes 1 and 2). They're a collection of some of the greatest modern day drummers covering Buddy Rich tunes and were produced by Neil Peart. We have the first disk but I can't seem to locate our copy of it at the moment, so I can't tell you who's on it. But it's got some great drumming.

MasterCylinder
05-16-2005, 05:25 AM
The drummers mentioned above are certainly the cream on top of the rock world.

Should you want to check out a guy that has a more trditional and modern jazz technique, try any album with Dave Weckl. He has at least one solo effort that is reflective of his tremendous talent.

20to20K
05-16-2005, 06:11 AM
The drummers mentioned above are certainly the cream on top of the rock world.

Should you want to check out a guy that has a more trditional and modern jazz technique, try any album with Dave Weckl. He has at least one solo effort that is reflective of his tremendous talent.

If I were to recommend one Weckl CD it would be his debut..."Masterplan". It's got
the best song writing on it plus great support from Anthony Jackson on bass, Frank
Gambale on guitar and Chick Corea. I found his subsequent ones to be stale and
repetitive with the exception of a live double CD that came out in 2003 that's pretty
good as well.

I think Weckl's best work is on a Steve Khan(guitarist) CD titled "Public Access".

Hyfi
05-16-2005, 07:02 AM
I have a comp of all Chambers as well as a Drummer comp with Chambers, Danny Gotlieb, Weckl and many others.

...check out anything with Dennis Chambers on drums:
He's got two solos CD's that are excellent...but they're japanese imports which may
be hard to find. Some of his other best work can be found on:

John Scofield - Loud Jazz, Pick hits, Blue Matter
Bob Berg - Cycles
Mike Stern - Jigsaw
Victor Bailey - Low Blow
John McGlaughlin - Heart of the Matter
Tom Coster - Forbidden Zone
CAB - CAB1, CAB2, CAB3, CAB4
Niacin - Niacin

My favorite rock drummer is Neal Peart...and he's already been covered.

20to20K
05-16-2005, 07:22 AM
Man...there's a blast from the past. What ever happened to Danny. I remember he
and Egan formed that "Elements" band after Metheny replaced him (mid 80s?) and
I haven't heard hide or hair of him since.

I liked him as a drummer...very talented and did some great solos.

nobody
05-16-2005, 07:23 AM
There's always Planet Drum by Mickey Hart. I'm not a dead fan at all, but this album has some really great percussion. It's all drums from all over the world. Not much in the way of great songs or anything, but tons of drums.

Then, there's always Buddy Rich or if you really wanna get old school, Gene Krupa. I'm sure there are decent compilations of either of them out there.

BarryL
05-16-2005, 07:56 AM
Anyone have any recommendations for cd's with a good drummer(s)? I have Blue Man Group in DVD-A and am open to all kinds of music except... country:)
Thanks!

Pick up the new Pat Metheny Group CD, This Way Up. I don't have the drummer's name here, but his is unbelievable.

Also, try Nick D'Virgilio (?), the drummer from Spock's Beard. I recommend The Light, or anything prior to Snow.

Also, Bill Bruford on The Yes Album. His work on Perpetual Change is stunning.

Lenny White, the drummer for Return to Forever is also amazing. Try the fusion-classic Where Have I Known You Before? He may have also drummed on the early fusion Al DiMeola records.

Troy
05-16-2005, 08:45 AM
The 70's Brand X albums with Phill Collins on them are terriffic. A real showcase of Collins at his best. The live Genesis album "Seconds Out" pairs Collins with Bill Bruford and Chester Thompson (songs are culled from 2 different tours) and there are some amazing drum duets on this set.

The "Black Light Syndrome" albums with Terry Bozzio are the best recordings of his amazing talent and technique.

Not sure which Blue Man disc you have, but the other one is also really good too. IUf you liked one, you'll like the other. The "Complex" concert DVD is a gas too.

You'd probably like this mix CD:

http://www.designshed.com/cdcovers/NoSolos.jpg

BarryL
05-16-2005, 09:26 AM
You'd probably like this mix CD:

http://www.designshed.com/cdcovers/NoSolos.jpg

Is that from the Marscape LP? I have that on vinyl which I listened to about six months ago. I remember Collins used to tout himself as the busiest drummer alive, and he used to appear on almost everyone's album. He really shakes the tree on Trick of the Tail and also some great drumming on Duke.

Troy
05-16-2005, 09:58 AM
Is that from the Marscape LP? I have that on vinyl which I listened to about six months ago. I remember Collins used to tout himself as the busiest drummer alive, and he used to appear on almost everyone's album. He really shakes the tree on Trick of the Tail and also some great drumming on Duke.

Yeah, that's Marsscape. It's a REALLY rare CD. I traded with someone (damned if I can remember who) for a burn of it. Collins absolutely SMOKES on this Brand X offshoot.

hmmmm
05-16-2005, 10:45 AM
I have a comp of all Chambers as well as a Drummer comp with Chambers, Danny Gotlieb, Weckl and many others.

Any chance of getting a copy of this comp?

hmmmm
05-16-2005, 10:48 AM
I'll have to print this out and head to record and tape traders to check some out. Thanks for all the help!

Woochifer
05-16-2005, 11:19 AM
Good to see all the love for Dave Weckl. Saw him with Chick Corea several years ago, and he put on a drumming clinic out there. Among the modern drummers, he's probably my personal favorite.

More recently, I saw Pat Metheny Group in concert, and his new drummer Antonio Sanchez is quite a revelation. Incredible talent on display there. You can get a sample of his skills on the Speaking of Now concert DVD.

His former drummer Paul Wertico's also got a wonderfully innate feel for rhythm, and seeing him perform recently in a trio with Larry Coryell and Mark Egan, his intuitiveness reminded me of the late great Elvin Jones.

If you're really looking for flat out maximum drumming, I would add Billy Cobham, Ronald Shannon Jackson, Art Blakey, and Elvin Jones to your list. Suggested discs below:

Billy Cobham - Smokin'
Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Inner Mounting Flame (w/ Billy Cobham)
Last Exit - Iron Path (w/ Ronald Shannon Jackson)
Ronald Shannon Jackson and the Decoding Society - Decode Yourself
Hank Mobley - Roll Call (w/ Art Blakey)
Horace Silver and the Jazz Messengers (w/ Art Blakey)
John Coltrane - Live At The Village Vanguard (w/ Elvin Jones)
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme (w/ Elvin Jones)

Olivertmc
05-16-2005, 11:45 AM
Thanks!

Here are a few others that I think are pretty impressive:

1. Leon Parker - check out Belief - amazing use of a drum kit
2. Billy Martin - drummer for Medeski Martin & Wood
3. Carter Beauford - I noticed he was included in the comp listed earlier. As a drummer myself, some of his stuff makes me want to cry. Truly inhuman sense of time.
4. Jon Fishman - People either love or hate Phish - but some of their earlier work, particularly the album "Junta", has great drumming
5. Tony Williams - check out Herbie Hancock "Quartet"
6. Peter Erskine - Jaco Pastorious Birthday Album
7. Drummer for Bloc Party - don't know his name, but the most recent drummer to make me sit up and take notice.
8. Generally, some of Sting's earlier work has some interesting drum work, with odd time-signatures and jazz influenced song structures. I believe he did a lot of work with Manu Katche.
9. Brian Blade - has some of his own albums, and worked a bit with Joshua Redman

BradH
05-16-2005, 01:09 PM
8. Generally, some of Sting's earlier work has some interesting drum work, with odd time-signatures and jazz influenced song structures. I believe he did a lot of work with Manu Katche.

That was Omar Hakim. I saw him with Weather Report in a really small place before he went onto Sting's band. He played on Brothers In Arms and all kinds of stuff. Manu Katche is another great one but I only remember him from Peter Gabriel's band. Vinnie Colauta was Sting's drummer for the longest time, maybe still is. Zappa said that was the best drummer he ever worked with. Can you imagine? Over Bozzio?

I've been listening to Tull on the A tour. Whatever happened to Mark Craney? The guy was great, probably the equal to Simon Phillips.

Hyfi
05-16-2005, 02:47 PM
I also have a 3 disk set of Bruford

Dennis Chambers on Drums
1. Blue Entrance Carl Filipiak
2. Jigsaw Mike Stern
3. Mayberry Carl Filipiak
4. No Return Dennis Chambers
5. Protocol John Scofield
6. Fonk Carl Filipiak
7. Lydian Cowboy Dennis Chambers
8. Right on Time Carl Filipiak
9. Pick Hits John Scofield
10. Nuji Dennis Chambers
11. Loose Ends Mike Stern
12. Cause We’ve Ended As Lovers Carl Filipiak

“Emphasis on Drums”
1. Chompsky John Alberti John Alberti
2. Quetico Elements Danny Gottlieb
3. Heads Up Dave Weckl Dave Weckl
4. Jigsaw Mike Stern Dennis Chambers
5. Jaco Pat Metheny Danny Gottlieb
6. The Effect SpecialEFX Omar Hakim
7. Go Ahead Stan Elements Danny Gottlieb
8. Master Plan Dave Weckl D.Weckl/S.Gadd
9. Kwirk Mike Stern Peter Erskine
10. Thy Kingdom Come SpecialEFX Omar Hakim
11. Travelin’ John Alberti John Alberti
12. Lone Jack Pat Metheny Danny Gottlieb
13. Liberal Arts Elements Danny Gotlieb

The Many Skins of Bruford

“Kit 1”

1. Elephant Talk King Crimson
2. Age Of Information Bruford
3. Anne Boleyn Rick Wakeman
4. Childrens Concerto Moraz/Bruford
5. Five G Bruford
6. Forever Until Sunday Bruford
7. Gentle Persuasion Brufords Earthworks
8. Hint Hint Steve Howe
9. Heartbeat King Crimson
10. Lucky Seven Chris Squire
11. One More Red Nightmare King Crimson
12. Sartori In Tangiers King Crimson
13. Split Seconds Bruford
14. America Yes

“Kit 2”

1. Red King Crimson
2. Indiscipline King Crimson
3. Frame by Frame King Crimson
4. The Only Thing She Needs UK
5. The Drum Also Waltzes Bruford
6. Original Sin Bruford/Levin
7. Everything You Heard Is True Moraz/ Bruford
8. Cloud Cuckoo Land Bill Bruford Earthworks
9. Perpetual Change Yes
10. Trubelence Steve Howe
11. Seems Like a Lifetime Ago2 Bruford
12. Midnight Glass Bruford/Levin
13. Pressure Brufords Earthworks

“Kit 3”

1. Watcher Of The Skies Steve Hackett
2. Back To The Beginning Bruford
3. Fallen Angel King Crimson
4. Astral Traveler Yes
5. Bridge of Inhibition Brufords Earthworks
6. The Sliding Floor Bruford
7. In The Dead of Night UK
8. Presidents Day Bruford/Levin
9. Then Yes
10. Half Life Bill Bruford Earthworks
11. Now is the Next Time Bruford/Towner/Gomez
12. Hold Out Your Hand Chris Squire
13. Adios A La Pasada Bruford

Let me know by PM with your addy

Any chance of getting a copy of this comp?

Dusty Chalk
05-16-2005, 04:20 PM
Steve Hackett often has some excellent drumming on his disks, but someone has to help me out with individual tracks. I want to say "Clocks -- The Angel of Mons" and something off of Till We Have Faces...? They are but the two most standout tracks that come to mind.

Other individual tracks that have very enjoyable multiple drummers type thing going on:

Blue Oyster Cult, "Veteran of the Psychic Wars"
ELO, "The Jungle"

Some nice laid back drumming in:

Black Sabbath, "Hand of Doom"
(oh, and Ward shines on "War Pigs", which was recently brought to my attention by The Dresden Dolls when they did a bizarre cover of it that included completely faithful reproduction of the drumming, but with the music set to piano)
Yes, "Heart of the Sunrise" (Bruford)

Hyfi
05-16-2005, 04:43 PM
Man...there's a blast from the past. What ever happened to Danny. I remember he
and Egan formed that "Elements" band after Metheny replaced him (mid 80s?) and
I haven't heard hide or hair of him since.

I liked him as a drummer...very talented and did some great solos.

I just saw Danny last year drummin' for Larry Coryell. Still has all his chops.

Man the first time I played Liberal Arts I was blown away by the recording itself. By far at the time the best sounding cd I owned. I saw Danny the first time they toured performing the first Pat Metheny album at a college. Jaco Pastorious' father intrudused the band. Memory Lane for sure. I have most of the Elements disks and like them all for what they are.

20to20K
05-16-2005, 05:27 PM
Good to see all the love for Dave Weckl. Saw him with Chick Corea several years ago, and he put on a drumming clinic out there. Among the modern drummers, he's probably my personal favorite.

More recently, I saw Pat Metheny Group in concert, and his new drummer Antonio Sanchez is quite a revelation. Incredible talent on display there. You can get a sample of his skills on the Speaking of Now concert DVD.

His former drummer Paul Wertico's also got a wonderfully innate feel for rhythm, and seeing him perform recently in a trio with Larry Coryell and Mark Egan, his intuitiveness reminded me of the late great Elvin Jones.

If you're really looking for flat out maximum drumming, I would add Billy Cobham, Ronald Shannon Jackson, Art Blakey, and Elvin Jones to your list. Suggested discs below:

Billy Cobham - Smokin'
Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Inner Mounting Flame (w/ Billy Cobham)
Last Exit - Iron Path (w/ Ronald Shannon Jackson)
Ronald Shannon Jackson and the Decoding Society - Decode Yourself
Hank Mobley - Roll Call (w/ Art Blakey)
Horace Silver and the Jazz Messengers (w/ Art Blakey)
John Coltrane - Live At The Village Vanguard (w/ Elvin Jones)
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme (w/ Elvin Jones)

My favorite Elvin Jones/Coltrane album is simply titled "Coltrane". Elvins chops
on the 14 minute opus "Out of this World" are....well, out of this world. Another
great Elvin CD is Joe Hendersons "Inner Urge" on Blue Note. His solo on the
title track is equally amazing.

Can't say that I agree that Wertico reminds of Elvin. Elvin's poly rhythemic chops
are quite distinctive and and don't know anyone that ever came close to his combination of subtly and power. He's the Earl Campbell of drummers. I always thought of Wertico as a percussionist trapped inside a drummers body...something like Alex Acuna or Don Alias. I thought he was perfect for the type of Brazilian influenced music that PMG was doing in the 80's and 90's...but I could imagine him hangin' with Elvin chop wise.

More great Elvin? Wayne Shorter/Speak no Evil, Marcus Roberts/The Truth is spoken here, Bill Frissell: Featuring Dave Holland and Elvin Jones.

Swish
05-17-2005, 05:04 AM
Ha! Ok, I really don't go crazy over "drum music", but I certainly think that almost anything by Peter Erskine, especially when he was with Weather Report, was pretty stellar stuff. It's hard to believe that he's been playing with Diana Krall lately. What a change that must be for him! In addition, I still really like Richard Bailey's percussion on Freeway Jam from Jeff Beck's Blow by Blow album. That tune really pumps still pumps me up like crazy.

Swish

20to20K
05-17-2005, 06:30 AM
Ha! Ok, I really don't go crazy over "drum music", but I certainly think that almost anything by Peter Erskine, especially when he was with Weather Report, was pretty stellar stuff. It's hard to believe that he's been playing with Diana Krall lately. What a change that must be for him! In addition, I still really like Richard Bailey's percussion on Freeway Jam from Jeff Beck's Blow by Blow album. That tune really pumps still pumps me up like crazy.

Swish

It's not that hard to believe Erskine is playing with Krall...playing with Krall gets you PAID.

Madonna once had both Omar Hakim and Dave Weckl as her drummers on tour which, of course, is like washing down Spam with Moet.

Erskine is another one of my favs. He's got two CD's from the mid 80's on Denon records called "Transition" and "Motion Poet". Both are exquisitely recorded and have some very involving and interesting music and great supporting musicians (Brecker, Ambercrombie, Will Lee, Miranov, Mintzer, Marc Johnson et al). Vince Mendoza composed and arranged many of the pieces and he's just a freggin' musicial genious(in a Gil Evans kind of way)!

There is one guy who hasn't been mentioned yet who is sort of a pioneer for many of these modern session guys...Steve Gadd. Gadd sometimes gets "dissed" for being
a little mechanical and predictable but let face it...he's the Godfather of session drummers.
I still hear plenty of guys ripping off his "50 ways..." licks. Throw in "Aja", "Mr. Magic", and "Spain" and Gadd has a pretty decent resume of memorable licks. Another significant contemparary of his is Harvey Mason of Breezin, Headhunters, and Mountain Dance fame.

shokhead
05-17-2005, 08:06 AM
Buddy Rich,Gene Krupa are ok as drummers. How about some high energy latin funk bands with horns and percussions and all that good stuff.

Woochifer
05-17-2005, 11:49 AM
My favorite Elvin Jones/Coltrane album is simply titled "Coltrane". Elvins chops
on the 14 minute opus "Out of this World" are....well, out of this world. Another
great Elvin CD is Joe Hendersons "Inner Urge" on Blue Note. His solo on the
title track is equally amazing.

I'll agree with you on Coltrane, well pretty much you can pick any of his albums with Coltrane and hear his genius in action! I went with Live At The Village Vanguard simply because of "Chasin' The Trane." Just a tour de force session by all of the players, and probably my personal favorite Coltrane tune.

Can't say that I agree that Wertico reminds of Elvin. Elvin's poly rhythemic chops
are quite distinctive and and don't know anyone that ever came close to his combination of subtly and power. He's the Earl Campbell of drummers. I always thought of Wertico as a percussionist trapped inside a drummers body...something like Alex Acuna or Don Alias. I thought he was perfect for the type of Brazilian influenced music that PMG was doing in the 80's and 90's...but I could imagine him hangin' with Elvin chop wise.

Judging by Wertico's work with Pat Metheny and with his own band, I would agree with you. But, when I saw him jam with Larry Coryell and Mark Egan, he brought a totally stripped down kit with him and had such a total sync with both the subtlety and the explosion that the other members of the band conveyed, I was floored. I'd never seen that side of Wertico before, and it was quite a sight. Made me wonder what else he's been keeping from us all these years! Wertico has an innate sense of rhythm, and that's really the parallel that I would draw with Elvin Jones. Stylistically they are different, but they both make every action count. There's a lot going on with the rhythms, but nothing's wasted.

More great Elvin? Wayne Shorter/Speak no Evil, Marcus Roberts/The Truth is spoken here, Bill Frissell: Featuring Dave Holland and Elvin Jones.

Thanx for the tips! I'll have to look more of those up. I've been breaking out my Coltrane titles and looking for more of Elvin's best stuff since we lost him last year. I saw him in Oakland during his last public engagement about two months before he passed on -- it was great to see him again, but he looked very frail. He talked to the audience about how his doctor told him over a year before that he needed to stop playing, and his response was "Get me a new doctor." The times I've seen him, he would walk slowly, but once he got behind the kit, it was like watching someone transform into Superman. The last time, he had clearly lost a step and needed help just to get to his drumkit, but even in his poor health, he was still pounding away and keeping time. Amazing guy.

Erskine is another one of my favs. He's got two CD's from the mid 80's on Denon records called "Transition" and "Motion Poet". Both are exquisitely recorded and have some very involving and interesting music and great supporting musicians (Brecker, Ambercrombie, Will Lee, Miranov, Mintzer, Marc Johnson et al). Vince Mendoza composed and arranged many of the pieces and he's just a freggin' musicial genious(in a Gil Evans kind of way)!

Another project of Erskine's on the Denon label is his trio album with Aurora (Marty Krystall and Buell Neidlinger). This has somewhat of an avant garde/free jazz feel to it (Neidlinger used to be in Cecil Taylor's group), and the playing is stellar. And the recording is one of the best you'll ever hear (studio session recorded live-to-two-track). This has been my primary evaluation disc for over 15 years.

Woochifer
05-17-2005, 12:18 PM
Vinnie Colauta was Sting's drummer for the longest time, maybe still is. Zappa said that was the best drummer he ever worked with. Can you imagine? Over Bozzio?

I definitely see Zappa heaping the praise on Vinnie. I used to see him all over town when I lived in L.A. He was one of the most versatile drummers on the scene. In a way, he became the L.A. version of Steve Gadd in that he got enlisted with so many different studio projects. Just as at home with a funk fusion band as he was playing bop or avant garde. He's not as flashy as Terry Bozzio, but with how tight and perfectly placed his beats were, he could afford to be economical.

BradH
05-17-2005, 06:18 PM
I definitely see Zappa heaping the praise on Vinnie.

If I remember, what impressed Zappa was that he asked him to play an extremely complicated drum pattern and he said Vinnie pulled it off and was actually digging it the whole time. I saw Vinnie with Sting when David Sancious was on keys. Great underrated band. Too many people were focusing on dissing Sting to see how good they were. Vinnie reminded me of Stewart Copeland because he held his left stick in a formal grip and he wasn't all that relaxed like a lot of great drummers. Just really tense body posture with perfect, snappy timing. I have to say something about Stew in this thread. I never heard any drummer anywhere that has his rhythmic sense. It's just pure magic. He plays with the accents on 1 and 4 instead of hitting the back beat. It's apparently something he learned from Arabic music growing up in Beirut. Somebody mentioned Steve Gadd, too. We used to joke that he should just change his name to Steve Godd. I have an interview with Steely Dan in one of those Redbeard In The Studio discs. Check this out: the song "Aja" was recorded on the first take and they were sight reading it! That's the actual recording they put on the master. They didn't even do a second take.

BradH
05-17-2005, 06:22 PM
He plays with the accents on 1 and 4 instead of hitting the back beat.

Don't try that at home.

I meant to say 1 and 3.

kingcrim05
05-17-2005, 08:02 PM
Two drummers who i can't believe haven't been mentioned yet are John Bonham and Danny Carey (Tool). Any disc by either one will show off the drumming talents.

20to20K
05-18-2005, 05:25 AM
Judging by Wertico's work with Pat Metheny and with his own band, I would agree with you. But, when I saw him jam with Larry Coryell and Mark Egan, he brought a totally stripped down kit with him and had such a total sync with both the subtlety and the explosion that the other members of the band conveyed, I was floored. I'd never seen that side of Wertico before, and it was quite a sight. Made me wonder what else he's been keeping from us all these years! Wertico has an innate sense of rhythm, and that's really the parallel that I would draw with Elvin Jones. Stylistically they are different, but they both make every action count. There's a lot going on with the rhythms, but nothing's wasted.

You are correct...PMG is the only exposure I've had to Wertico so obviously my
critique is incomplete. I like both Egan and Coryell so I'll make an effort to find
some on their recorded material with Wertico and keep an open mind. I can see
Pat containing him to keep him within the realm of the sound he was going for.
As I said...Wertico was perfect for what PMG was doing at the time...I shouldn't
assume that that's all the chops he's got.

Some one mentioned Vinnie as well. He's awesome...particularly live. He's just
a totally different drummer when you see him live...especially in a fusion setting.
I saw him with Mike Stern and John Pattituchi (and John Beasley on keys) at
8 by 10 in Baltimore about 10 years ago and they tore it up. Ironically Dennis
Chambers was in the audience (He was born and raised in B'more) and he
was yellin' at Vinny from the audience in support. He signed my Vinny solo CD that
I brought with me to have Vinny sign. I never even bothered to try and get Vinny
to sign it after I got Dennis' signature on it. I hope Vinny isn't reading this!

BTW...Vinnie's solo CD is nice. It's a bit odd...not what you'd expect from
a drummers CD...but it has interesting rhythems and solos. He's got one
song on it called "Attack of the 50 foot pizza" which kinds of sums up the
weird factor. I've probably got the only copy in existence with Dennis Chambers
autograph on it!

BinFrog
05-18-2005, 07:29 AM
Billy Cobham - Spectrum (DVD-A)

gonefishin
05-18-2005, 08:45 AM
Thanks!

While I can't stand the pumpkins or the singing by Billy Corgan (or lack of ability to sing!) Jimmy Chamberlin could best be described as shock and awe. I just don't know how he could play so well and effortlessly. He's even more impressive to watch up close...you can't help but keep shaking your head, thinking that there ain't know way.

He's got a new jazz techno fusion type band called The Jimmy Chamberlin Complex (http://www.jimmychamberlincomplex.com/index.php).

Jeff Hamilton (http://www.hamiltonjazz.com/) is a talented, sometimes overlooked, drummer in the jazz world.

...and of course...my two year old daughter would have to rank among the worlds best drummers as well. She plays a mean playschool piano too ;)

dan