Advice Needed Should One Get Rid of Original Remotes if You Have a Universal? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed Should One Get Rid of Original Remotes if You Have a Universal?

hershon
05-15-2005, 12:21 AM
Would appreciate some thoughts on this which will influence my decision whether to hold on to my original remotes or sell them on Ebay as I now have (2) fantastic Harmony 676 remotes for which programing is downloaded straight from the Logitech's website for every major brand. I've already listed my Denon 3801 receiver remote on Ebay and should get $50- $110 for it, but am not sure if I should list my other remotes for my JVC receiver, Harmon Kardon DVD player, Samsung HD TV, etc. The only thing I'm definately not listing is the remote for my Mitsubishi 48" HDTV in case I ever need to sell it (I figure that could be a major dealbreaker) which I'm really not planning to do. For my other items, which I plan to use till they conk out and thus am never planning replace and thus resell, I don't see a need to hold onto those and think I'd be better off making a quick $20 or more on each of them. What do yo think? Would you still hold onto them? For the amount of money I should get on the Denon 3801 it was a no brainer.

N. Abstentia
05-15-2005, 07:26 AM
I'd keep them. If you ever decide to sell anything (and knowing you they'll be on ebay next week!) you'll be hard pressed to sell them without the remotes.

anamorphic96
05-15-2005, 12:50 PM
I agree just hold on to them. Its always good in case you move on to something else. Especially with the receiver. I would not even think of buying that unit used with no remote. Especially considering how complicated AVR's can get these days.

I know you love your componets now but the upgrade big will hit again. It always does.

hershon
05-15-2005, 05:51 PM
I agree just hold on to them. Its always good in case you move on to something else. Especially with the receiver. I would not even think of buying that unit used with no remote. Especially considering how complicated AVR's can get these days.

I know you love your componets now but the upgrade big will hit again. It always does.

I'm probably going to follow your advice except for the Denon 3801 receiver remote as I can't see myself upgrading on this receiver & I should be able to get $100 or so for the remote.

Smokey
05-15-2005, 06:39 PM
Even if not planning to upgrade Denon 3801 in the near future, It just make common sense to keep the original remote. It is almost certain that you will need to refer to it in the future....things [beyound your control] will happen :mad:

hershon
05-15-2005, 07:50 PM
Even if not planning to upgrade Denon 3801 in the near future, It just make common sense to keep the original remote. It is almost certain that you will need to refer to it in the future....things [beyound your control] will happen :mad:

Appreciate your advice but in this case I can't see replacing the 3801 - I'm in total love with it and the Harmony 676 does the exact functions & I can use the $100 in my pocket I can get for it off Ebay. The other products I have, the price I could get for the remotes probably isn't
that much so why risk any kind of screw up but as I said to me its $100 more in my pocket. I also hate the Denon remote anyway!

jocko_nc
05-16-2005, 05:08 AM
Keep them. Take the batteries out. Put them in a ziploc bag and put them in a closet somewhere.

You never know. There was a time a while back that I was REAL glad to have saved a couple of first-generation RCA DirecTV receivers... They became very valuable.

jocko

markw
05-16-2005, 07:06 AM
something to ponder...

N. Abstentia
05-16-2005, 08:15 AM
Face it..he's going to sell the remotes. How many times has Hershon asked for advice then 423 people tell him the exact same thing then he goes and does the opposite of what everybody says..which was what he was going to do in the first place, so why bother asking?

markw
05-16-2005, 03:08 PM
Face it..he's going to sell the remotes. How many times has Hershon asked for advice then 423 people tell him the exact same thing then he goes and does the opposite of what everybody says..which was what he was going to do in the first place, so why bother asking?You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. That's true for both ends of said horse.

So, I just state my advice once and let someone else pick up on it if they wish.

If not, well, that's no skin off my teeth.