Need help buying receiver for around $250 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need help buying receiver for around $250

mc1057
05-14-2005, 03:43 PM
I'm kinda a newbie when it comes to receivers so I really don't know where to turn. The only requirements I would have would be: 5.1 and 3 component connections. I'm kinda overwhelmed with the amount of receivers to choose from. Should I go used?

Thanks

Geoffcin
05-14-2005, 04:00 PM
I'm kinda a newbie when it comes to receivers so I really don't know where to turn. The only requirements I would have would be: 5.1 and 3 component connections. I'm kinda overwhelmed with the amount of receivers to choose from. Should I go used?

Thanks

Unlike speakers, where I DO reccomend quality used ones, with a receiver you'll want a warrenttee, at least the manufacturers.

Pioneer has just released the worlds lowest priced auto-calibating receiver the VSX815

http://www.plasma.com/pioneersound/largeimages/vsx-815.jpg

it can be had for about $269 street.

mc1057
05-14-2005, 04:10 PM
Wow, that's perfect. Thanks!

luvs2jam60
05-17-2005, 08:23 PM
Unlike speakers, where I DO reccomend quality used ones, with a receiver you'll want a warrenttee, at least the manufacturers.

Pioneer has just released the worlds lowest priced auto-calibating receiver the VSX815

http://www.plasma.com/pioneersound/largeimages/vsx-815.jpg

it can be had for about $269 street.

I would DEFINITELY agree with Geoffcin here. I just replaced an older Sony receiver that wasn't even DD with this one and its a HUGE difference. The MCACC is a Godsend. And plus you can either set it to automatically detect speaker settings, or manually adjust them, which is a great feature. I especially like the multi-function jog dial instead of just a jog that is set specifically to inputs or the audio source. Overall, great purchase from Pioneer.

Eric Z
05-18-2005, 05:28 AM
The Pioneer is a nice choice. If you want some more options, you can look at the Yamahas. I'm not that familiar with their new line, but if you can find last year's models still you can get a good deal. Here are some of the models- HTR5760/RXV650, 5750/550, 5740/450. The 5750/550 will be right around your price range.

I also upgraded from a non-HT receiver to a Yamaha 5760 and was amazed by the improvement.

Have fun!
Eric

GMichael
05-18-2005, 06:56 AM
That's a good deal. A lot of bang for the buck.

hershon
05-18-2005, 03:17 PM
Again and I'm a broken record here- you obviously have limited funds available. What I suggest you do is get a decent used receiver in excellent or so condition from Ebay (you can always use the Buy iy Now option) or some other place online that probably sold new for $500 - $750 for your $250 or so budget then buy something new for $250 which will be mediocore at best. as a fallback you can get a very good JVC RX-DV31SL DVD/receiver new for about $150 or so (it retails for $450) if you look hard enough online.

canuck1995
06-11-2005, 05:26 PM
Thanks Geociffin.

However I would still love to hear if there is anyone familiar or own either models Pioneer VSX D815 and Yamaha HTR5750. I've been searching for a replacement and I've narrowed my choices to these two. Which one is better?

Eric Z
06-11-2005, 05:36 PM
I have the 5760 (one step above the 5750) and I love it- one of the main differences is the 5760 has the YPAO (includes mic for auto set-up). You might be able to find the 5760 for just a bit more (if you can squeeze out the extra cash). However, if you go with the 5750, you should still be satisfied. Both Pioneer and Yamaha make good quality receivers so I'm sure you'll be pleased with either. If I had to make the choice, I would go with the Yamaha- mostly because I'm already familiar with their products.

canuck1995
06-12-2005, 07:04 PM
Thanks Erik Z! I just got the Yamaha HTR-5760, you're right its great! The bad thing is I found the last unit that went on sale because they lost the microphone optimizer, and the worst is they don't know how to get a replacement. I'm currently searching but I'd appreciate if anyone knows where to buy one in Canada.

Also, I'm thinking that if its a microphone is it possible to use an ordinary omnidirectional mic? Unidirectional mic doesn't work.

PAT.P
06-12-2005, 07:18 PM
Thanks Erik Z! I just got the Yamaha HTR-5760, you're right its great! The bad thing is I found the last unit that went on sale because they lost the microphone optimizer, and the worst is they don't know how to get a replacement. I'm currently searching but I'd appreciate if anyone knows where to buy one in Canada.

Also, I'm thinking that if its a microphone is it possible to use an ordinary omnidirectional mic? Unidirectional mic doesn't work.
Hi Canuck1995 I also bought the Yamaha HTR-5760 (2 weeks ago ) its one great receiver hope they gave you a good price without the microphone ? You probably can order one from a Yamaha retailer (audio store ) so simple to set up with it .Pat.P

paul_pci
06-12-2005, 08:52 PM

Yes, any microphone should do. Youl could certainly find a better aftermarket one than the one that comes with the Yamaha receiver anyway.

Eric Z
06-13-2005, 04:42 AM
When I bought mine it didn't have one either, but my the store I bought it from just ordered one from Yamaha for me. Where did you buy yours? A retailer or online? If it was in a store, ask them to get one from Yamaha for you- remember, you're the customer! Also, if they don't know where to find one, check if they are selling the newer 5860 model. If so, have them take it out of that box and give it to you. Doesn't hurt to ask. If that doesn't work (might not since it was already discounted because the mic was missing), call the Yamaha parts department 416-298-1311 x2304- I got this number from their website.

Good luck!
Eric

rubicon
06-13-2005, 06:17 PM
i just bought an HK 235 off of harmanaudio on ebay
refurbed with original components and identical warranty
$247

i am newbie as well and went by a bunch of very positive reviews for this unit..plus it has dolby headphone which i really want

it goes for about $350 new

good luck

canuck1995
06-13-2005, 07:25 PM
When I bought mine it didn't have one either, but my the store I bought it from just ordered one from Yamaha for me. Where did you buy yours? A retailer or online? If it was in a store, ask them to get one from Yamaha for you- remember, you're the customer! Also, if they don't know where to find one, check if they are selling the newer 5860 model. If so, have them take it out of that box and give it to you. Doesn't hurt to ask. If that doesn't work (might not since it was already discounted because the mic was missing), call the Yamaha parts department 416-298-1311 x2304- I got this number from their website.

Good luck!
Eric

I got mine from Bestbuy, they really lowered the price so its ok. I tried asking for the mic from the 5860 model but per store policy they werent able to do that. But they did give me the number of Yamaha part department and I already ordered one. Then we'll see what this baby can do.

By the way EricZ and Pat P have you guys ever tried using the presence speakers? Currently I just set it up as a 6.1 and its already great.

PAT.P
06-13-2005, 07:42 PM
I got mine from Bestbuy, they really lowered the price so its ok. I tried asking for the mic from the 5860 model but per store policy they werent able to do that. But they did give me the number of Yamaha part department and I already ordered one. Then we'll see what this baby can do.

By the way EricZ and Pat P have you guys ever tried using the presence speakers? Currently I just set it up as a 6.1 and its already great.
Canuck 1995 Im using the presence speakers (Im using two Paradigm stylus cc ) I running 9 speaker and two sub and this receiver can handle it and more .Bought this Yamaha HTR-5760 at Best Buy also for only 399.00 CND two weeks ago and dont regret it .Pat.P

Eric Z
06-14-2005, 04:24 AM
No presence speakers here- just the basic 5.1. Very pleased!

Wow, PatP, a lot of speakers!

I'm glad you were able to order a mic through Yamaha- it's makes the set-up that much easier. That frustrates me about Best Buy- store policy, come on! I guess I can understand though since it was a nice discount so you knew what you were getting.

I tried looking for a 5760 when the 5860 came out to see if I can pick another one up- don't need it, but if it was a good deal I would get it. A couple stores had it for dirt cheap, but they were sold out.

PAT.P
06-14-2005, 04:59 AM
Eric My HTR-5760 came with everything ,it was the last one in store and on display .The saleperson went to talk to the manager and was able to give me the discount to $399 so I took the warranty for $50 (4 years).The only problem I had at BestBuy was he gave me the wrong remote ,went back next day with it and the one for it was tied on an empty shelf.Im running a/b front so I put on 4 ohms selector for now .What I like of this sub is the feature ,if you want more bass you can sent some out of front ,find this very usefull when wife as migraine (send all the bass to front and dont have to put my 2 sub on ).My towers go down 28 hz and my other towers are 3 way (bought at Radio Shack 11 years ago).For now its great but might bi-amp my Dahlquist to see if they sound better.Pat.P

Eric Z
06-14-2005, 05:14 AM
sounds like a good deal and nice set-up. i didn't opt for the extended warranty- i haven't yet had a component crap out on me. now that i think about it, maybe i should have since i got a good deal, too- well, can't do anything about it now.

i'm thinking about getting another 5760 (or the 5860 since it's more available now) for a second system i've been thinking about for a while (since I have a few speakers laying around my house- may as well use them. the bad part is i would want to buy a center channel and sub along with the receiver- that's only an extra $700-$800 though, haha).

i'm happy that yamaha came out with a good quality receiver that is fairly inexpensive- usually it's between a crappy entry level and then the next one up is $600+.

PAT.P
06-14-2005, 05:31 AM
Eric my wife put a stop on my buying for now. I got at least 7 receiver and 20 speaker and 4 sub .Last sub I got it for free at Future Shop bought the Jbl on wall speakers on sale and they gave me a free 8" PB8 power sub reg $250 CND ,and the speakers was $70 off .I took the warranty also Im cover for 9 years ($29 for speakers and $20 sub) this system is in basement .Pat.P

Eric Z
06-14-2005, 05:44 AM
Wow, that's a lot of equipment. My wife and I were looking at a new house, so we were on a pretty strict budget (don't buy it if you really don't need it). Now that our bid fell short, I'm in the HT buying mood again- my wife gave me free reign to buy whatever I want, but I know not to go overboard- I just can't see myself spending a ton of cash on HT equipment.

Enjoy the rest of the week! I know the weather is nice in the Chicago area (best time of the year)- I'm sure the weather is getting pretty darn nice in Canada, too.

PAT.P
06-14-2005, 11:04 AM
Eric Z My wife is right on this one , she was layoff and both our house are due to re-mortgage .One I rent to my daugther and kids ,finally got her looser boyfriend to get out .He had money for car ,smoke and drugs but rent was'nt there.But Im satisfied for now I just have to keep away from audio store .Yes its also nice in Canada but someday 40 degree its a bit to much.Pat.P