Echo & the Bunnymen live at the Chameleon... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Echo & the Bunnymen live at the Chameleon...

Swish
05-14-2005, 12:30 PM
in Lancaster, PA last night, and what a good show! The opening band, The Blue Van, from Denmark, did a high-energy set that rocked pretty hard. They're a quartet with guitar, drums, bass and keyboards, with the front-man being the singer/guitarist, and I have to say he has good stage presence and a good voice. The bassist was a real nut job, jumping around like a madman.

Echo and the Bunnymen did some stellar stuff back in the 80s, although I can't say I know a lot about their more recent music. They played at least 17 songs as I recall, including the two encores, and the only one I didn't like was "Bring on the Dancing Horses". It's a fine song, they just did all kinds of crap to it, like adding a digital delay to Ian's vocals, and ruined it for me. Highlights for me were The Killing Moon, Rescue, and Seven Seas, three of my faves from them, so no surprise there. Ian was in fine voice,among the best in the business in my opinion, although I wish he'd quit those f<a>ucking cigarettes. He probably smoked 5 or 6 during the performance, and it's a damn shame. Did you get the idea that I hate those things?

Anyway, Will Sargeant was just awesome with his lead guitar. This guy undoubtedly influenced many others, including Edge from U2. If you listen to both, you'll know what I'm talking about. Anyway, it was a fun show by a quality band. Even if you're not a big fan, I would highly recommend seeing them if they're near your town.

Swish

Davey
05-14-2005, 12:37 PM
Hey cool! Those guys are great and one of those bands that probably deserve to be called underrated, even though they aren't really. Glad to hear they're still kicking it out. Speaking of the Blue Van guys, they're scheduled to make an appearance on the latest installment of the CRS. Stay tuned and I'll send you a copy. Your fellow Rave Wreckers are right at the forefront of the modern rock scene. Should it really be called "modern rock" though if you're opening for Echo and the Bunnymen in 2005? ;)

MindGoneHaywire
05-14-2005, 02:12 PM
Swish, those are three of my absolute favorite Echo tracks also. Though I must admit I just don't know much past their third album, I thought those were great great great tracks. Crocodiles is a great album--I didn't realize it was kinda padded for the U.S. I tried to listen to the album in its original configuration on the reissue & it just didn't work for me. Oh, well. I saw Echo in January 1986 at the theater underneath Madison Square Garden, then known as the Felt Forum. With the Church opening up. For the life of me I'll never get that CQDX guy's devotion to that band, not that they were bad, or anything...just kinda there. I remember the Bunnymen did a cover of the Cramps' 'New Kind Of Kick.' It wuzza lotta fun.

Dave_G
05-14-2005, 05:40 PM
Cool.

Ya, homie needs to chill on the cigs, it's way uncool, he's trying to be like Bono.

Great albums these guys made.

Stay away from their new dvd, it'll give ya seizures with the incessant camera angle switches @ 100 mph and never ending.

Dave