Look what I made... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Look what I made...

nobody
05-14-2005, 10:15 AM
just put it together and started filling it up...gonna be a bit of a job because I need to alphabetize. It should hold about 1800, which should leave me plenty of rioom to grow for a while.

Davey
05-14-2005, 11:43 AM
Hey, nice job Dave! Where do we place our orders and how much ya gonna charge? Hehehe, I have a narrower one that only holds about 600 and have been meaning to build a complement for it since it doesn't seem to be available anymore. I did build a rack for my LPs that turned out pretty cool. Holds about 16' of records (around 1200) which doesn't leave me any room for expansion but I've probably got enough vinyl to get me through to the end with only the occasional impulse grab.

Saturday afternoon with the new Electrelane disc spitting digits from my cheap Sony DVD player into my extremely expensive proprietary dbi DAC and on to a not so expensive Hafler amp until finally arriving at some passable Dynaudio speakers. OK in a crunch, but made much better with the fresh supply of Bass Pale Ale now flowing freely from my refrigerator to that diminishing collection of nerve cells I winkingly call a brain. Just got a package of CRS tunes from the Ex Lion Tamer. Is everyone that's gonna send something already sent something? Cause I'm gonna go ahead and put it together unless you tell me something's on the way? Lot's of cool tunes on this one ... and you know I always tell it like it is.

Kaboom
05-14-2005, 01:55 PM
uuuh pretty awesome man! sure looks like you put some care into that.
the problem if it were mine would be that i'd find myself listening to the CDs on the top 2 shelves MUCH more often than those close to the bottom...

nobody
05-14-2005, 03:33 PM
Built this one for my records not too long ago. They match pretty much exactly, same wood and finish, although in the pics, they look a bit different. I think this pic is more what they look like in person. Unfortunately, I need to make another LP one, I can't fit 'em all on this. The CD rack is 6 feet high and 4 feet wide, so everything should go on there ok.

They were both really easy to make. It's just time consuming sanding and all that and waiting for the layers of finish to dry.

ForeverAutumn
05-14-2005, 04:46 PM
That looks really nice! Hubby and I were just discussing how we need to expand our CD storage space....again.

The best place for us to fit in more storage is in a corner with about 18 inches on either side. Maybe I'll build something on my own. Funny, how that never even occured to me.

Stone
05-15-2005, 05:02 AM
That's cool. I need to get a place of my own (as opposed to an apartment) so I can make some things like that again (in all my, uh, spare time).

What kind of wood did you use?

Stone
05-15-2005, 05:30 AM
And what is this:

nobody
05-15-2005, 06:26 AM
Wood was pine...just went to Home Depot and grabbed the cheapest wood they had that was ready to finish. It didn't even require cutting except for once on the backing. Just grabbed some 6 foot long pieces and some 4 foot long pieces and a sheet for the back. You could stain it however you want, I just went with the blond wood because the desk in that room is already the same color. And,,,by the way, I've got this stuff in an apartment, it can be moved easily. Troy posted a really great built-in shelving unit quite some time ago that I'll probably copy someday for something in a house.

The doll you refer to is the Ultimate Punk Rocker Action Figure. I grabbed one for my wife a few years back. It's not an original, but I don't think they're making them anymore. We lost some parts, like the chain and lock around his neck, dragging it around to bars and such, but its still fun to have. Sid can kick the **** out of a Ken doll in no time flat.

Jim Clark
05-15-2005, 06:28 AM
Yours is bigger than mine : (

I really wish I made mine a whole lot bigger, it was full not even 6 months after completion. I made one exactly like it for DVD's and Videos which isn't quite full, but almost.

You did a good job man.

jc

Finch Platte
05-16-2005, 05:51 AM
just put it together and started filling it up...gonna be a bit of a job because I need to alphabetize. It should hold about 1800, which should leave me plenty of rioom to grow for a while.

Hell, that'll work.

Here's mine. Store boughten- at the place I work ( here's a link to the company that made them---> http://www.qualitycraftusa.com/bookcases/cd.htm ). I dunno if I'd pay full retail for 'em, tho. :rolleyes:

fp

Jim Clark
05-16-2005, 10:57 AM
Hell, that'll work.

Here's mine. Store boughten- at the place I work ( here's a link to the company that made them---> http://www.qualitycraftusa.com/bookcases/cd.htm ). I dunno if I'd pay full retail for 'em, tho. :rolleyes:

fp

Yep, yep, yep. I can always tell the single guys (or soon to be single guys) by the status of their CD organizers. That's a big old beast taken up space PF.

jc

nobody
05-16-2005, 11:49 AM
My wife was actually anxious to have me finish something up since the alternative was having them stacked all over and in random order. She's been having fun the last few days being able to stand in fromt of it and actually find all the stuff she's been wanting to listen to since we moved into this place that she hasn't been able to find.

As to that soon to be single comment...you know something I dont?

Troy
05-16-2005, 11:58 AM
These are those shelves, nobody. Thanks for liking/remembering them.

LMK if you want the blueprints.

http://www.designshed.com/art/shelves.html

nobody
05-16-2005, 12:03 PM
I already have 'em saved for someday when I actually have a house for something nicer like that.

Jim Clark
05-16-2005, 12:27 PM
My wife was actually anxious to have me finish something up since the alternative was having them stacked all over and in random order. She's been having fun the last few days being able to stand in fromt of it and actually find all the stuff she's been wanting to listen to since we moved into this place that she hasn't been able to find.

As to that soon to be single comment...you know something I dont?

That was for FP (PF?) the eternal bachelor of RR. Just can't imagine too many women wanting a montrosity like that sitting around the abode. Seeing how he often times opines about his lack of constant companionship I'm just thinking out loud that it might not be just his taste in music getting in the way...

The "soon to be" was intended for any of us who are married and still think they can pull off a wall like that and get away with it. Since yours is 1/3 the size, never mind...!

it was supposed to be funny.

jc

Troy
05-16-2005, 12:34 PM
Nobody, you may find you'll need a support in the centers of those shelves. Anything longert than about 18" will sag overtime pinching the shelf below it.

nobody
05-16-2005, 12:41 PM
I'll wait and see. The wood on the back is nailed about 10 times or more per shelf, so that should help with the support. I can push down on the center of the shelves pretty hard without bending. If it starts to sag, I can always rig something up like some pieced supports just slipped ontp the shelves or something. Thanks for the warning.

Troy
05-16-2005, 12:59 PM
I'll wait and see. The wood on the back is nailed about 10 times or more per shelf, so that should help with the support. I can push down on the center of the shelves pretty hard without bending. If it starts to sag, I can always rig something up like some pieced supports just slipped ontp the shelves or something. Thanks for the warning.

Ok, if you have tha much support to the back on the shelves, you should be fine then.