Please help a newbie chose speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Please help a newbie chose speakers

CreepingDeath
05-14-2005, 09:05 AM
I am knew at this and need some advice. I am starting to get into the whole HT and 2-channel audio experience. I have decided to replace my front end one component at a time. I want to start with the speakers. I have between $2000 and $2500 to spend. In the beginning I will use my older 12 inch sub, but would eventually match it with the brand of speaker for HT.

I have narrowed the search down to floor standers. I do not want a sub when listening to 2-channel music, so 3-way is preferable. I would like a list of recommendations to go out and demo. I listen to mostly rock if that helps. I want a speaker in which the low end is decent, and the highs are clear and detailed, but without fatiquing me ears. And of course, a nice midrange to boot. Please help me out. Thanks.

Florian
05-14-2005, 09:38 AM
Well the only speaker in that range that i know and like is the VMPS 626. It is a "oversized" bookshelf speaker that will play "when setup righ" in the lower 30's. Check it out here. www.vmpseurope.com or go here www.audiocirlce.com if you are interested.

-Flo

drseid
05-14-2005, 11:06 AM
In that price range for a three-way (or more) floorstander that meets or exceeds your requirements, you may want to check out the used market after going out and auditioning...

A good used choice that falls right in the middle of your price range are the Legacy Audio Signature IIIs... These babies can really rock, and they have a very nice overall balance.

Audiogon.com is a good place to look for used values online, BTW.

Good luck,

---Dave

Geoffcin
05-14-2005, 01:08 PM
I am knew at this and need some advice. I am starting to get into the whole HT and 2-channel audio experience. I have decided to replace my front end one component at a time. I want to start with the speakers. I have between $2000 and $2500 to spend. In the beginning I will use my older 12 inch sub, but would eventually match it with the brand of speaker for HT.

I have narrowed the search down to floor standers. I do not want a sub when listening to 2-channel music, so 3-way is preferable. I would like a list of recommendations to go out and demo. I listen to mostly rock if that helps. I want a speaker in which the low end is decent, and the highs are clear and detailed, but without fatiquing me ears. And of course, a nice midrange to boot. Please help me out. Thanks.

For $2500 a pair there's gotta be 1000 choices, but if your looking for full range floorstanding speakers that's capable of high volume it will narrow it down.

I used powered towers for my HT. While not of top audiophile quality, they can play accurately at very high volume with low distortion, and will knock most standmount speakers off the stands, LITERALLY. I've recorded 105db at 30hz with just them playing!

I use Cambridge Soundworks speakers, but Definitive Technology also sells very highly rated powered towers, along with Aperion, and other Internet dealers. Sound & Vision just recently tested the Def tech BP7002 system and the review said he was literally ducking for cover during the naval battle scenes in Master & Commander. That's what's HT's all about baby!

CreepingDeath
05-15-2005, 08:20 PM
For $2500 a pair there's gotta be 1000 choices, but if your looking for full range floorstanding speakers that's capable of high volume it will narrow it down.

I used powered towers for my HT. While not of top audiophile quality, they can play accurately at very high volume with low distortion, and will knock most standmount speakers off the stands, LITERALLY. I've recorded 105db at 30hz with just them playing!

I use Cambridge Soundworks speakers, but Definitive Technology also sells very highly rated powered towers, along with Aperion, and other Internet dealers. Sound & Vision just recently tested the Def tech BP7002 system and the review said he was literally ducking for cover during the naval battle scenes in Master & Commander. That's what's HT's all about baby!

I will check out Def Tech and Aperion. What do you all think of the Engery Veritas line? The 2.3s or 2.4s have my attention. They get great reviews and the 2.4s can be had used for 2500 or less. Anyone have any impressions and comparisons of these speakers?

psonic
05-15-2005, 11:42 PM
Are you using a high power amp that can handle 4ohms? If so, definately listen to Dynaudio, the Audience series will give you real high-fi sound at a budget price. The bass is excellent on these as well - no sub needed. Look at the 72, 82 and 122 models at http://www.dynaudio.com they go for around $1300-1700 a pair. See where your nearest dealer is and go listen if you can. Other good floorstanders that come to mind are Vienna acoustics and Totem - definately worthy of a listen in that price range. If you decide to go cheaper, I would take a look at Energy - they have excellent bass and home theater capabilities. Good for music also. Look at the C5 C7 C9. But they are not quite on par with the others musically.

CreepingDeath
05-16-2005, 06:24 AM
Are you using a high power amp that can handle 4ohms? If so, definately listen to Dynaudio, the Audience series will give you real high-fi sound at a budget price. The bass is excellent on these as well - no sub needed. Look at the 72, 82 and 122 models at http://www.dynaudio.com they go for around $1300-1700 a pair. See where your nearest dealer is and go listen if you can. Other good floorstanders that come to mind are Vienna acoustics and Totem - definately worthy of a listen in that price range. If you decide to go cheaper, I would take a look at Energy - they have excellent bass and home theater capabilities. Good for music also. Look at the C5 C7 C9. But they are not quite on par with the others musically.

I am not using a high powered amp currently. For now the new set of speakers will be powered by my yamaha receiver. I think it is only 85w per channel. Whomever I purchase the speakers from will probably be the same folks I purchase the amp and pre/pro from. I will also check audiogon from good deals.

I will look into audiogon, thanks. About energy...you recommened the C series, but how are the Veritas?

kexodusc
05-16-2005, 07:29 AM
The Veritas are a big step up on the Connoisseur series IMO...I'd put them more on par with Totem, Dynaudio, Paradigm's Studio series, etc. I haven't heard the latest incarnation of the Veritas but I remember liking a few models in that line very much, while feeling others weren't that great. I'd add them to your list.
I'm going to second the Totem recommendation. They're a no none-sense speaker maker IMO.
While not a 3-way, the Hawk has no problem extending into the low 30's/high 20's and sounds excellent IMO.

grim0003
05-16-2005, 08:49 AM
BOSE is the best there was the best there is and the best ever and the best there ever will be!!! Nothing can test them. I have all the bose and they're the best bose=best. You must buy bose if you love bose give me a hell yeah!

kexodusc
05-16-2005, 08:55 AM
BOSE is the best there was the best there is and the best ever and the best there ever will be!!! Nothing can test them. I have all the bose and they're the best bose=best. You must buy bose if you love bose give me a hell yeah!
Wow....does this make you a Bose-O? :D

Peter Duminy
05-16-2005, 09:08 AM
A subtle endorsement! :D

topspeed
05-16-2005, 11:34 AM
This thread (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=10906) has a lot of good suggestions you might find helpful.

kfalls
05-17-2005, 06:39 AM
Bose-O, I like that. Can I use it? You may also want to look at the PSB line, their Gold and Silver Stratus' are very good for the money. Bose-O, that 's great and appropriate. Obviously he's trying to promote a flame war. It should be his new screen name.

grim0003
05-17-2005, 04:44 PM
I expected you guys to say bose-iful things about me, you've hurt my feelings. Creepingdeath, sincere apologies. I recommend you buy with your ears, audition, and get ones you can take back if you realize you want something else so try to keep them and the packaging unscuffed. I bought well thought out speakers and then realized I'd rather have different ones, but I still think mine are good enough (not really bose). Good luck.

CreepingDeath
05-19-2005, 04:48 PM

LOL! Even I know that Bose is crap. Thanks for the good laugh, I need that! :D

Creepingdeath, sincere apologies. I recommend you buy with your ears, audition, and get ones you can take back if you realize you want something else so try to keep them and the packaging unscuffed. I bought well thought out speakers and then realized I'd rather have different ones, but I still think mine are good enough (not really bose). Good luck.

I think I will do just that. I wonder which dealers will let me take them home for a trial? Well, I have the weekend to find out. Thank you for all the ideas! I will exhaust all of the possibilites recommended. Thanks again!!