What albums would you like to see 'remixed'? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What albums would you like to see 'remixed'?

3-LockBox
05-13-2005, 03:24 PM
I know you're thinkin remastered, but I'm talkin about remixed.

I was thinking that the other day when I was listening to Prince's <u>Around The World In A Day</u>. The musical arrangements on this CD are great, but would be superb if not for Prince's over-indulgence. Both the title track and the song <i>Paisely Park</i> suffer from Prince's being enamoured with the sound of his own voice and lush arrangements are marred by excessive vocal masturbation, such as "whooo" and "eey-hheee" and the usual over emoting. And it was around this time that Prince started playing around with alterego Camile, which was nothing more than his voice sped up to sound afeminate. This shows up on tracks like the otherwise gorgeous <i>Temptation</i>. I would like to see this album fall into the hands of a pop master like Todd Rungeren or Quincy Jones. This album would then be the great paean to 60's psychadelic pop that it was meant to be, instead of the seldom meantioned 80's album that it is now.

Also. I like to see Yes' <u>Relayer</u> remixed more in the vein of <u>Close To The Edge</u> or <u>Fragile</u>. The latter meantioned albums sound fantastic in their latest reissue. Squire's bass is so up front and powerful on these, but so washed out sounding on Relayer and even <u>Going For The One</u> to an extent. But listening to the studio run-through of <i>Gates Of Delerium</i>, without all the later studio embelishmnets, its much more listenable the the released version. While we're at it, let get Rick Wakeman to re-do the keyboard parts because time has proven that Wakey provided direction and arrangement as well as his skills at the keys.

Woochifer
05-13-2005, 05:41 PM
Boy oh boy have I got a few!

Rush's Grace Under Pressure is just dying for a remix of some kind. The prevailing mix sounds thin and has way too much treble (similar to how poorly a lot of Peter Henderson's productions with Supertramp transferred over to CD). A bit more focus with the vocals, rework the drum sounds, and bring the bass more to the front. A lot of work that's needed on this album.

The Pet Shop Boys' Actually would be on my list of candidates for a 5.1 remix. They used so many atmospheric effects, and generated so many great sounds from the Fairlight synthesizer, I would love to hear what it would sound like with a good 5.1 reworking. As it is right now, two-channels seems too constraining for the type of sound that they were trying to create with the album.

Another candidate for 5.1 remixing would be Pat Metheny Group's Letter From Home. It's already a decent recording, but with the sound spread out into five channels plus a subwoofer track, it can open up a whole new dimension for this already great album. The production has so many elements in it already that two-channels just seems claustrophobic and congested. The 5.1 remix made a huge improvement to Metheny's Imaginary Day album by making new and creative use of the spatial cues, and by separating out the sounds to give each instrument new focus and clarity.

Also, Motorhead's Orgasmatron is vintage speed-metal produced by the enigmatic genius Bill Laswell (who's worked on so many insanely outstanding and creative music projects, I can't list them all here) and engineered by Jason Corsaro who that same year also engineered Steve Winwood's superb sounding Back In The High Life and won the Grammy for best engineered album. You would think that this package has top notch production work and good aggressive energy, but you would think wrong! This album has a murky and hollow sound that takes away much of that punk-inspired energy that Motorhead is known for. This would be a much improved effort if it was remixed with the punch and focus that Mutt Lange put into his work with AC/DC and Def Leppard.

Dusty Chalk
05-13-2005, 06:34 PM
I can't think of any offhand, but I'm sure I will. As soon as I log off and shut down my comptuer for the night.
Also. I like to see Yes' <u>Relayer</u> remixed more in the vein of <u>Close To The Edge</u> or <u>Fragile</u>. The latter meantioned albums sound fantastic in their latest reissue. Squire's bass is so up front and powerful on these, but so washed out sounding on Relayer and even <u>Going For The One</u> to an extent. But listening to the studio run-through of <i>Gates Of Delerium</i>, without all the later studio embelishmnets, its much more listenable the the released version. While we're at it, let get Rick Wakeman to re-do the keyboard parts because time has proven that Wakey provided direction and arrangement as well as his skills at the keys.Well, except Wakeman didn't play keys on Relayer.

DPM
05-13-2005, 06:52 PM
This one needs remixed badly. Ian Anderson should do a stereo remix and release the results on SACD. I would buy it, and I think many others would too.

DM

kexodusc
05-14-2005, 03:24 AM
Rush's Vapor Trails IMO is a very underrated album that just didn't come out as good for whatever reasons. The songs are fabulous live, but very, I don't know, mediocre on the CD.
The lyrics are as good as ever, and I really feel more emotion in this album, even if the music isn't the greatest...

Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine...just a subtle upgrade and 5.1 mix would be nice...nothing dramatic

Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile - wicked album but 5 or 6 filler songs can go...5.1 this too, With Teeth and Downward Spiral's 5.1 DVD-A tracks on Dual Disc are amazing

Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream - hell, just re-release them so I don't have to sell my kidney to buy legit copies.

And of course,

Metallica - "...And Justice For All"...and justice for their true masterpiece that didn't get the studio job it deserved...Hey Lars, if you fix it, it will sell (again)!

shokhead
05-14-2005, 04:56 AM
Tull and the Beatles but the Beatles would be great on DVD-A/SACD. BTW,any other rock bands that uses orchestra,oboes,cello's,strings and horns in there music,i love that.

Hawkeye
05-14-2005, 06:00 AM
Pretty much anything by Floyd, though I read that Animals and Wish You Were Here is due out on SACD by year's end. I think Ummagumma would be killer remixed in surround as well.

A surround version of Alan Parsons' latest, A Valid Path should be released any day now. It'll be DVD-A, but not sure if it'll be dual disc or not. His back-catalog would be interesting in surround.

I think some exciting things could be done in surround with Kraftwerk's albums.

MindGoneHaywire
05-14-2005, 07:56 AM
I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but you know that Styx covers album that just came out? I think it'd be pretty neat if someone like Gibby Haynes from the Butthole Surfers took a stab at it. Better yet, the guy from the Moog Cookbook. I'm kinda disappointed they didn't do covers of the Moog Cookbook classic rock covers, actually. Now that could've been entertaining.

progfan
05-14-2005, 02:28 PM
Black Sabbath-Born Again. But keep Geezer Butler well away from the knobs this time! ;)

Iron Maiden-Dance of Death. I love this album but it sounds like someone's beaten up cassette tape.

Yes-Talk. Highly underrated Yes album and I think that's because it sounds so digital.

Jethro Tull-Crest of a Knave. I don't like the mix on this one at all. Good album, but pretty thin sounding.

3-LockBox
05-14-2005, 04:58 PM
Well, except Wakeman didn't play keys on Relayer.

Patrick Moraz did, and well, he ain't no Wakeman. His playing was murky and somewhat spastic.

20to20K
05-15-2005, 08:57 AM
Yellowjackets - Greenhouse: Don't know what went wrong here...their previous recordings all sounded great as did their subsequent ones. This one is as flat as Gwen Stefani.
It's almost unlistenable dispite being some of their best material.

Toto - Fahrenheit. They're best CD material wise(IMO)...but the recording is god-awful.
Schrilling highs and no bass. Has one of Miles Davis's best tracks of the 80's but I just can't bear to listen to it.

Weather Report - Black Market: This CD doesn't sound bad...but a fresh remix
would definitely bring out Jaco's, Acuna, and Shorters nuances a lot more. A 5.1
version would sound great with the title tracks various vocal and percussive sounds.
They've DVD-A'd the slightly inferior (but more popular) Heavy Weather...hopefully this one will follow.

Jack Dejohnette/Pat Metheny - Parallel Realities - Outstanding interplay between them and Herbie Hancock...but the recording is only marginal. A live version also featuring
Dave Holland on bass (and also availible on DVD) sounds much better.

The Police - Outlandis D'Amour - O.K...it was their first album and nobody knew
who they were...but listening to that original grainy version of Roxanne and So
Lonely is really starting to get to me. I think they've SACD'd every Police(and Sting!)
album except this one...what are they waiting for?

20to20K
05-15-2005, 09:06 AM
Boy oh boy have I got a few!

Another candidate for 5.1 remixing would be Pat Metheny Group's Letter From Home. It's already a decent recording, but with the sound spread out into five channels plus a subwoofer track, it can open up a whole new dimension for this already great album. The production has so many elements in it already that two-channels just seems claustrophobic and congested. The 5.1 remix made a huge improvement to Metheny's Imaginary Day album by making new and creative use of the spatial cues, and by separating out the sounds to give each instrument new focus and clarity.

But if I could 5.1 a PMG CD it would be "Still Life Talking". Hearing what they could
do with a 5.1 version of "Third Wind's" percussion breaks boggles my mind. Also the
cleaning up Pat's solo on the same track could further piss off aspiring guitarists to the point of chuckin' their kit's into the trash heap!

Dusty Chalk
05-15-2005, 09:14 AM
The Police - Outlandis D'Amour - O.K...it was their first album and nobody knew
who they were...but listening to that original grainy version of Roxanne and So
Lonely is really starting to get to me. I think they've SACD'd every Police(and Sting!)
album except this one...what are they waiting for?First of all, it's Outlandos D'Amour, I believe; secondly, yes, it is available on SACD.

20to20K
05-15-2005, 09:28 AM
First of all, it's Outlandos D'Amour, I believe; secondly, yes, it is available on SACD.

Well strike one up for the spell check "Police". Imagine that...I mis-spelled a 25 year old album title in a foreign language by one letter. I hope my AR privledges aren't revoked! Prevledges? Privaledges? ARGGHH!!! Damn New York City Public School System!!

I'll look for the SACD!

Thanks!

Dusty Chalk
05-15-2005, 12:59 PM
Well strike one up for the spell check "Police". Imagine that...I mis-spelled a 25 year old album title in a foreign language by one letter. I hope my AR privledges aren't revoked! Prevledges? Privaledges? ARGGHH!!! Damn New York City Public School System!!

I'll look for the SACD!

Thanks!Well, no, I wasn't being a pedant -- I am a pedant, but not this time -- I was just telling you in case that was the reason you couldn't find it.