IQ:Subterranea // review [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : IQ:Subterranea // review

3-LockBox
05-13-2005, 11:38 AM
I've read a lot of hype about this one. This is touted as a modern prog classic. As an album of songs, there are some very good moments here. The writing is clever (a tad too cryptic though) and the musicianship is excellent, and the production is tight. As a conceptual piece, however, it falls flat. It certainly does its job conveying a particular theme and vibe, but as far as the story goes, its way too vague.

It's not that I have anything against depressing lyrics (I love Porcupine Tree)

It's not that I have anything against cryptic lyrics (I love Steely Dan)

It's not that I have anything against obescure lyrics (I love Yes)

But if you're going to put out a 2-CD concept album, or rock opera, you need to at least have some sort of structure or plot (this does revisit certain music passages and lyrics throughout the two CDs, so the term rock opera seems appropriate).

Other theme albums come to mind, like <b>Brave</b> by Marillion, and of course, Pink Floyd's <b>The Wall</b>. Both albums touch on the subjects of abuse and alienation. Both of these provide one important element missing in Subterranea...closure. Its easy to follow the storyline in Brave or The Wall, even though both use literal and cryptic lyrics. They both have a plot, telling the predicament, what possibly put the protagonist in the situation, and what may become of the protagonist after we hear his/her story...closure. Look, The Wall doesn't exactly have an uplifting ending, but the subject does reach some sort of conclusion: to tear down his imaginary, self-protective wall. Now the conclusion in Brave may not be as cut and dried, but the song <i>Made Again</i> does provide a sort life affirming statement; that we don't have to be defined by our past.

The writing in Subterranea is top-notch, and so is the performance, but at 103 minutes stretched over two CDs, its over-long. Yes, the sense of dispair is palpable, and I did get the sense that drugs and homelessness were key elements, as well as disenfranchisement with society and religion, but this gets way over played as every song states this theme with out really exploring it or expanding on it. Its not like I was looking for a happy ending or some sort of retribution for the character, but I think a conclusion is in order for such a long piece. Its comes across like the character feels victimized but then no self-exploration takes place (like the trial in The Wall, when 'Pink' comes to realize "Have I been guilty all this time?"). After 103 minutes, we end up right where we began; there is no enlightenment, there is no discovery, there is no closure. This one could have very easily been pared down to one CD, because how many times do you need to say the same thing. Its a shame, because a better conclusion could have really made this one a winner. Two CDs is a long way to go, just to figure out you've gone nowhere.

Dusty Chalk
05-13-2005, 06:17 PM
Your reviews are getting better. For example, in this one, you're making me want to hear this disc, despite all your criticisms. To me, that's exactly what one should look for in a reviewer -- the ability to give enough information about the music to let the reader decide for oneself whether or not one wants to hear it.

Slosh
05-14-2005, 08:59 AM
Is it time for the Operation: Mindcrime review?

Davey
05-14-2005, 09:48 AM
Hey, nice review 3-Lock! And don't get me wrong when I say this, because I do like long reviews, but it just seemed to me like it could be pared down by a paragraph or so. Toward the end, I got the feeling that you were running out of things to say so it became a little repetitious. And then kind of wound up at the same place you started, with no real conclusion. Is it a flawed classic? Or does the lack of an ending to the story render it down to the subclassic status?

Just kidding, nice review. Would be fun to hear more about the music as opposed to so much about the lyrics, but I guess you're probably targeting those that already know the band. In any case, keep it up as I always enjoy the reads even though I don't always comment ;)

3-LockBox
05-14-2005, 04:40 PM
I usually don't focus so much on lyrics when I listen to music, if I did, then I wouldn't like half of the music I own. But I do think that if you're writing a concept album, especially a double disc CD, the concept should come across rather readily. I short little story line would have helped.

But yeah, you're right, I was targeting those who like this band or this genre of music, and not the indie hipster snob crowd.

3-LockBox
05-14-2005, 04:40 PM
I'll get right on it.

Dave_G
05-14-2005, 05:27 PM
I listen to this set a lot differently.

I don't take it seriously at all, it's IQ, they have sense of humor that might be overlooked.

I just dig the music, every note of it.

I wish it was 4 cd's.

Dave

3-LockBox
05-14-2005, 06:21 PM
I should have approached it like an album of music, and not expected so much of story. Like I stated before, there are some very good musical moments here in the heavier rock vein, like the title track, <i>Breathtaker</i>, and <i>Unsolid Ground</i>. The instrumentals were great, I wished they were longer. Some of the slower songs are kinda maudlin to me, except <i>The Sense In Sanity</i>, which is probably the best ballad on the whole album. The 20 minute epic kind peters out for me after 10 minutes as it segues into some incidental noise for a few minutes, goes into a repetative, lack luster instrumental for 4 or 5 more minutes and then picks up the song again. Its a song that coulda been tidied up a bit.

What older IQ albums should I try next?

Dave_G
05-15-2005, 04:07 AM
I will suggest "Ever" It's considered their best work by many.

Or, if you can find it, "The Lost Attic".

Ever is mellow but nothing at all like Subterenea.

Regards,

Dave

Troy
05-15-2005, 08:53 AM
I agree that the story is FAR too long and mostly incomprehensible. I never really paid that much attention to it to be quite frank. It felt stupid right out of the box.

Still, as DaveG says, the music is where it's at with this band anyhow. But I disagree, I could see this being pared down to a single disc, easy.

"7th House" is the album to get.

richmon
05-16-2005, 06:01 AM
I will suggest "Ever" It's considered their best work by many.
Dave

3lb - if you're interested in Ever, you can have my copy, while I see why many like it, I cannot take the vocals.

By the way, Dave, your comments about Pallas's Cross + Cruicable were sooo right, took several listens to open up, I traded with 3lb for this and have come around to enjoying it a bunch.

progfan
05-17-2005, 01:46 PM
Interesting review. I guess one could respond with similar criticisms to the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway: too many obscure lyrics that add up to a not so cohesive story line.

I agree that the lyrics can be pretty impenetrable. But I saw IQ perform the entire album in concert and many of those obscure elements really came together. They had video screens portraying some of the things in the lyrics, an actor that came out and "killed" Peter Nicholls and so on. It was a pretty dramatic and theatrical experience that I thought was very successful.

3-LockBox
05-17-2005, 09:08 PM
Interesting review. I guess one could respond with similar criticisms to the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway: too many obscure lyrics that add up to a not so cohesive story line.

I agree that the lyrics can be pretty impenetrable. But I saw IQ perform the entire album in concert and many of those obscure elements really came together. They had video screens portraying some of the things in the lyrics, an actor that came out and "killed" Peter Nicholls and so on. It was a pretty dramatic and theatrical experience that I thought was very successful.

I would definately compare this album to 'Lamb' for the same reasons; obtuse lyrics and vague story line.

I'll bet the story would hold up a lot better if there was some sort of video accompaniment. The CD would have been more comprehensive had there been some sort of summary along with it. But then again, 'The Lamb' also had a summary of sorts and it didn't really help that album as a conceptual piece. It did have some fine music though.

I guess sometimes I like to have things spelled out for me.

Dave_G
05-18-2005, 05:01 AM
Ya IQ is a pretty good band, eh?

Dave

BarryL
05-18-2005, 08:53 AM
Ya IQ is a pretty good band, eh?

Dave

of a Canadian there, Dave. Too many visits to Montreal perhaps.