Floor Speakers for $300 or less [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Floor Speakers for $300 or less

mc1057
05-13-2005, 07:22 AM
Wondering if anyone could recommend a pair of floor speakers for around $300. I'm on a tight budget. Thanks.

shokhead
05-13-2005, 07:23 AM
You'll get better bookshelfs for 300 bucks.

mc1057
05-13-2005, 07:31 AM
What bookshelfs would you recommend?

anamorphic96
05-13-2005, 07:56 AM
http://paradigm.com/

Check out the Titans at 220.00 a pair. If you could stretch your budget to 400 the market really opens up a bit. The Mini Monitors go for 329.00 a pair and sound quite nice for the price. Also check out -

PSB
Energy
Ascend - Internet Based
Axiom - Internet Based
Monitor Audio
B&W

topspeed
05-13-2005, 10:09 AM
These Wharfedale Diamonds (http://audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=WHARFD8%2E3B&product_name=Diamond%208%2E3%20Kevlar%20Compact%20 Tower%20Speakers%20-%20Pair) might do the trick. Good quality and seem to offer good bang for the buck. I listened to friends recently acquired Wharfie Opus' a week ago and was duly impressed, especially in the midband. If the Diamonds carry the same dna, and they should, this could be a very good speaker.

The other floorstander you'll see mentioned at this price point most often is this Athena F2 (http://audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=ATHASF2&product_name=Audition%20AS-F2%20Tower%20Speakers%20-%20Pair). You can audition them at your local Best Buy, that is if you can hear anything above the car audio subwoofers that invariably are blasting away.

For the most part however, I do agree with the others that you'd be better served by a quality standmount and then get a decent sub later when funds become available. Floorstanders in this price range generally have too many compromises, usually in the form of cheap cabinetry with little or no bracing thereby adding unwanted coloration and resonance. One of the best cheap monitors I've heard are these Epos ELS3's (http://audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=EPOELS3&product_name=ELS3%20Mini%20Monitor%20Speakers%20-%20Pair). Very well built, excellent midband and extended treble. Really a great little speaker and surprising performance from a mini-monitor.

Please understand, these are only suggestions and naturally you'll need to listen to everything you can get your mits on to form an educated decision. Don't take our word for it, believe your own ears.

Hope this helps.

psonic
05-13-2005, 01:41 PM
For $300 I agree, go with the Athenas, they are large and sport an 8" driver which can kick it pretty good if you want to rock or just sit back and enjoy music. They are very good for the money. Stereophile liked them also (forget the model).

nightflier
05-16-2005, 11:52 AM
... you could probably score a quality set of mid-range speakers. I've auditioned the PSB Image 6T speakers and they were very impressive. I saw a mismatched pair (different colors) sell at Yawaonline.com for $299.

Or if you must buy new, look for a going-out-of-business or branch-closing sale. For example, Tweeter in Chino, CA, is closing down. They carry the entire Polk line including the LSi's as well as Martin Logan, Mirage, and Vienna Acoustics.

Also, check out Audio Advisor's weekely clearance sales. This week they don't have any towers in the $300 range, but they often have great deals on Energy, Wharfedale, and as someone else recommended, the Athena AS-F1 & AS-F2 speakers.

cabron
05-16-2005, 05:13 PM
... you could probably score a quality set of mid-range speakers. I've auditioned the PSB Image 6T speakers and they were very impressive. I saw a mismatched pair (different colors) sell at Yawaonline.com for $299.

Or if you must buy new, look for a going-out-of-business or branch-closing sale. For example, Tweeter in Chino, CA, is closing down. They carry the entire Polk line including the LSi's as well as Martin Logan, Mirage, and Vienna Acoustics.

Also, check out Audio Advisor's weekely clearance sales. This week they don't have any towers in the $300 range, but they often have great deals on Energy, Wharfedale, and as someone else recommended, the Athena AS-F1 & AS-F2 speakers.

I have the f2's. They are awesome. You will not regret it.

abstracta
05-17-2005, 07:07 AM
Get the F2's.