Do any Stereo Receivers have 2.1 channels? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Do any Stereo Receivers have 2.1 channels?

stj
05-11-2005, 06:30 PM
Many people have told me they prefer two bookshelf speakers and a sub. This sounds like a good option and I'm thinking of doing it a room where we would rather not have large floor models.

The question is do any stereo receivers have 2.1 (besides the mini systems) or do you need to get an A.V.receiver?

I have seen posts here that describe hooking up to the sub and running wire to the speakers from there, but it seems a 2.1 channel receiver would be nicer.

Woochifer
05-11-2005, 06:43 PM
To generate a line level subwoofer output, you need a receiver with an internal crossover, and that's pretty much the domain of home theater receivers. Stereo receivers are typically designed with all analog circuitry, and the trend has been to minimize the amount of circuitry that alters the signal along the way. And it's impossible to do 2.1 with two-channel anyway because stereo sources are only capable of handling two discrete tracks. To do actual 2.1, you'd need a separate subwoofer track, and you only get that with multichannel sources, which are outside of the domain of two-channel receivers.

Back in the two-channel era, the typical configuration was to have the bass management done by the subwoofer. And you see that with the speaker level inputs/outputs. Other subs allow you to use line level inputs/outputs (on a two-channel receiver, you simply patch it into either a premain input or tape monitor input).

The bass management nowadays is done by a home theater receiver because 5.1 soundtracks have a discrete subwoofer track, and the proliferation of multichannel sub/sat speakers demands more flexible bass management than the more simplistic speaker level crosover that you find on a subwoofer.

uncooked
05-11-2005, 09:08 PM
This guy

http://www.harmankardon.com/product_detail.aspx?Region=USA&Country=CA&Language=ENG&cat=REC&prod=HK%203380&sType=C

and the 3480 both have sub outs for very resonable prices. They sound great to me with most speakers. Tons of clean power.

stj
05-12-2005, 05:11 PM
Thanks to both Woochifer and uncooked for your relplies.

I checked out the Harmon Kardons, they look good. Do you know if any other manufactures (Pioneer, Yamaha, Denon, etc.) produce receivers with a sub out?

uncooked
05-12-2005, 06:08 PM
Probably do, i think yamaha has one. But i havent heard it, i have heard the H/K on the other hand and was very impressed with the sound and power for the money.

vr6ofpain
05-13-2005, 02:56 PM
I have a Harman/Kardon Preamp I would be willing to sell it is a stereo only AV preamp, but has a stereo (separate L R) sub out on it. The sub out is actually just a preamp output with a separate level control. THe preamp also has an A and B preamp out. The technically it has 3 preamp outputs, one controlled by a separate level control (sub out).

poneal
05-13-2005, 06:07 PM
It hasn't arrived yet but I am anxiously awaiting. I love that sleeper function it has--nice for going to sleep at night. This guy is going to be used for mutipurpose (acoustic measurements and listening). Not a bad deal at all for 135.

vr6ofpain
05-14-2005, 09:10 PM
What is a Z 3380?