air cleaner/purifier question... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : air cleaner/purifier question...

thepogue
05-11-2005, 01:07 PM
I just picked up a Living Air Purifier ( the Alpine model) and noticed it works on + and - charged ion's...in fact when working properly it kinda smells like after a rain shower...kinda cool in me office...but will that somehow interfer w/the operation of the ML 'stats...kinda an off the wall question...but it's all Greek to me ?

Peace, Pogue

hermanv
05-11-2005, 01:45 PM
ML stats are also air purifiers except all the crud just stays stuck to the internal membrane. Your manual tells you to vacuum clean them occasionally, I think it says when they start sounding fuzzy or some other equally clear technical term. It also reminds you that you need to power them down for a day or two to discharge the panels or the vacuum cleaner won't work

I don't think the field will reach far enough and the ions self neutralize in a little while, According to consumer reports many cleaners emit excess ozone. Ozone may not be good for you, of course neither is that stuff in the air the purifiers remove :D

thepogue
05-11-2005, 02:28 PM
I think the Prodigy's answer to being giant crud magnets is that they power down automaticlly when not in use....I know thats not at all going to take care of the tendency to collect ****e...but I hope between the power-down and the air cleaner I'll help control it.

Peace, Pogue

hermanv
05-12-2005, 08:05 AM
This is not a serious problem, I live on a dirt road and once a year is probably more often than is needed even for my environment. Audiophile, anal, who, me? :)

I don't know how serious this issue may be if there are smokers in the house.

slbenz
07-01-2005, 09:45 PM
Having an air purifier with your Martin Logans should reduce the need to vacuum the speakers. This is what happened to my Martin Logans once I used an Oreck air purifier for my house. The air purifier, even the ones that emit negative ions should not harm the Martin Logans.

maddgoo1
07-02-2005, 08:02 AM
The Alpine is a good unit to keep down the dust, but please don't run in it too high. There have been some recent articles on the hazards of excess air purifier ozone. The best service of the Alpine is for example, when you install new carpet and want to remove the odor. Turn up the Alpine to near max and leave (make sure to let the pets out of the house). In a few hours the odor is greatly reduced.

thepogue
07-02-2005, 09:11 AM
and she does a really good job...but I fully understand what you mean about the "plate jumping"...I never got the plates installed and one took the big leap...alls it tkaes is a crack and they are usless!!...lucky for me (us) that they replaced the glass w/ ceramic tiles...and they are very cheap on Epay (2 for 17 bucks shipped!!) but I really would like to get a second unit for the other side of my rancher...although they can "scrub" up to 2200 sq ft I'd prefer 2 set on low...get lil unit for sure! Peace, Pogue