Lovin' Kino - Nearly Picture Perfect [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Lovin' Kino - Nearly Picture Perfect

BarryL
05-10-2005, 12:24 PM
Hey Dave, what's not to like about this new Kino album (I think it was you who poo-pooed it).

This thing rocks in a proggy fashion. This is like neo-prog refined for the new millenium. Great melodies with a hard prog/rock edge. These guys are going for the juggular and not letting go. If you crossed post-Morse Spock's Beard musicianship and edge with early Asia pop sensibilities and 10cc quirkiness, you may have some idea of what this sound's like. The arrangements are outstanding, as are the multiple part vocal harmonies. The whole thing is almost perfect pop for the prog-minded.

I give this an 8 out of ten for such a pleasing and surprising album for an old prog-head, and I throw in another 1 point to give them 9 for the audacity to shoot for a commercial success right out of the blocks. I'm not sure that there's anything not to like about this album. Any other opinions out there?

Another way to look at it is contrived arena prog, perfect for mega-outdoor festivals. Don't undersell the potential success of this line-up.

I haven't seen any reviews, but these guys opened for Spock's Beard in Europe in March, I bet they kicked ass.

The band is John Beck (It Bites), Chris Maitland (ex-Porcupine Tree), John Mitchell (Arena), and Pete Trewavas (Marillion).

Diego
05-10-2005, 12:55 PM
Any other opinions out there? .

I think Pete Trewavas is an enormously talented musician and bassist, and it's too bad more people haven't heard his playing.

BarryL
05-10-2005, 01:38 PM
I think Pete Trewavas is an enormously talented musician and bassist, and it's too bad more people haven't heard his playing.

The Marillian bass player went Transatlantic, and now it's nice to see him moving around. I like when musicians do these kinds of side projects. It sometimes results in some intersting music. The one downside is that when the consider them just side projects, sometimes the quality of the song-writing suffers. But then again, too many of these bands tend to start writing in the studio or improvising in their home studios. I doubt many of them spend months together working out song concepts like they did in the old days. Who's got time for that anymore? No wonder record sales are down. The song quality usually sucks (been there, done that).

Troy
05-10-2005, 03:34 PM
I'll keep an eye out for the Kino disco. Amoeba this weekend!

I have Trewavas on an album by "IBIS" called "Crossing the Desert" that the big D sent me years ago. I think the guy thrives on playing with other guys , mixing it up a bit.

Troy
05-10-2005, 03:34 PM
I'll keep an eye out for the Kino disco. Amoeba this weekend!

I have Trewavas on an album by "IBIS" called "Crossing the Desert" that the big D sent me years ago. I think the guy thrives on playing with other guys, mixing it up a bit.

Dave_G
05-10-2005, 05:08 PM
I have had this cd now for 2 days and have never discussed it here at AR.

Listened to it 1 time thus far.

Decent, typical stuff.

But it usually takes me 15 listens at least to really "get" a record.

Like Pallas' "Cross and Crucible". Ho hum for the 1st 10 or so listens but then all of a sudden during listen # 11 it hit me hard.

I hope Kino and the new PT sneak up on me and then all of a sudden nail it.

Dave

BarryL
05-11-2005, 09:33 AM
I have had this cd now for 2 days and have never discussed it here at AR.

Listened to it 1 time thus far.

Decent, typical stuff.

But it usually takes me 15 listens at least to really "get" a record.

Like Pallas' "Cross and Crucible". Ho hum for the 1st 10 or so listens but then all of a sudden during listen # 11 it hit me hard.

I hope Kino and the new PT sneak up on me and then all of a sudden nail it.

Dave

I guess it wasn't you then. Maybe you just mentioned them in passing at one time. I'm sure I learned of this band from you.

Anyway, keep spinning it. Catchy as hell. Great soaring synthesizer lines. This is the kind of album I'd think that you would really like.

Dave_G
05-11-2005, 11:55 AM
Did you ever receive the package I sent ya?

Regards,

Dave

BarryL
05-11-2005, 12:06 PM
Did you ever receive the package I sent ya?

Regards,

Dave

Recieved it just before I went on holidays, but haven't listened yet. Thanks a lot.

It got mangled in the mail. The covers got smashed, but the disks all appear to be okay. First time I've ever had a problem. Thanks for reminding me. I'll be spinning them soon.