Digital set top box turning itself back on! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Digital set top box turning itself back on!

Astro
05-09-2005, 11:31 PM
why in the world is my set top box after i turn it off via the remote turnitself back on again!!!???
It seems as though the remote controll is leaking? If i put my hand over the remote after i turn it off i dont think it happens. Ive programed the off button from the original remote to a learning remote and and still does it!?
what the hell is it!?
The people who i bought it off said it is a software issue and i had a software upgrade, oh no guess what i wasted $68 of my money for the firmware upgrade and it didnt fix the prob.
any ideas anyone!?

Worf101
05-10-2005, 06:17 AM
why in the world is my set top box after i turn it off via the remote turnitself back on again!!!???
It seems as though the remote controll is leaking? If i put my hand over the remote after i turn it off i dont think it happens. Ive programed the off button from the original remote to a learning remote and and still does it!?
what the hell is it!?
The people who i bought it off said it is a software issue and i had a software upgrade, oh no guess what i wasted $68 of my money for the firmware upgrade and it didnt fix the prob.
any ideas anyone!?

Call the Arch Diocese, ask for Father Merrin... He's old and a little frail but I think he can handle that leetle problem you got. In the meantime don't let the kids near the TV.

Da Worfster
:cool:
"Sorry man, I couldn't resist."

Astro
05-10-2005, 02:29 PM
Call the Arch Diocese, ask for Father Merrin... He's old and a little frail but I think he can handle that leetle problem you got. In the meantime don't let the kids near the TV.

Da Worfster
:cool:
"Sorry man, I couldn't resist."

Arch Diocese?????

Worf101
05-11-2005, 06:21 AM
Arch Diocese?????

I was just joking about your set top box being possessed like in "The Exorcit" or "Poltergeist". Poort attempt at humor on my part...

On the real tip if you bought a grey market box and it's acting up, request an exchange till you find one that works...

Da Worfster :cool:

topspeed
05-11-2005, 10:09 AM
Worster,

Arch Diocese my ass...

C'mon baby, who ya gonna call?

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/MMPH/238809.jpg

jeskibuff
05-12-2005, 03:58 AM
It seems as though the remote controll is leaking? If i put my hand over the remote after i turn it off i dont think it happens. Ive programed the off button from the original remote to a learning remote and and still does it!?Forget Father Merrin or the Ghostbusters. You need to call Sacramento and get Arnie on the case! If Arnie's too busy governating then maybe Stallone can take some time out of his "busy" schedule to put a couple hundred rounds into the unit! :D

It almost sounds like a remote code problem to me. Is the remote control OEM or is it a learning or universal remote? What brand STB do you have and is the remote the same brand? If you have the owner's manual, does your remote look like the one described in there? Did you buy it used or new?

If you can find the STB at a local Circuit City/Best Buy, etc., I'd try taking your remote control there. Let the security people know you're entering with your remote so you won't be accused of shoplifting. Then see if it controls the in-store unit the same way, turning it back on when you turn it off. If it does, then use the store's remote to teach your learning remote the proper code.